facebook

let's bring a new sorority on campus

by: New kid on the block

I vote to bring Sigma Sigma Sigma, Zeta Tau Alpha or Delta Zeta. Any thoughts?

Posted By: New kid on the block
Post Reply Report
Page 4 of 9
#31  by: Pi phi   

How about Pi Beta Phi?

By: Pi phi
by: ^May 8, 2014 10:38:56 PM

Pi Phi is good, but they are bit too popular. Let's get something edgier and less predictable.

By: ^
#32  by: Bostongirl24   

When a new one is added (and that will be a while) Id like to see Phi Sigma Sigma or Delta Phi Epsilon. Both are non-sectarian. While the other sororities are non exclusive to any religious group anymore, many at one point were and even though they have changed, there are still many religious references in their creeds and mottos.
Ex. Alpha Delta Pi's creed includes "I BELIEVE that the principles established by our founders in 1851 are enduring attributes, exemplifying the highest ideals of Christian womanhood."
Theta Phi Alphs's includes "Truth to God and truth to self"
These are just some examples.

I feel think may make women who are of a atheist/agnostic/polytheistic/nature based religions feel unwelcome. I would prefer a sorority that is more welcoming to women with a variety of backgrounds. Im sure women of all backgrounds join these chapters at other schools. But some may feel uncomfortable when reciting a pledge they dont agree to.

By: Bostongirl24
by: ^May 22, 2014 10:27:05 PM

tru dat

By: ^
by: supDec 4, 2015 2:47:13 PM

cuz it's not enough to allow anyone in....gotta wipe God off of EVERYthing.....cuz that's pretty standard in this 'day and age'.......jeeeeesh.

By: sup
by: .Feb 8, 2017 5:44:30 PM

^I realize this comment is 2 years old but Alpha Omicron Pi was not founded as a non-discriminatory sorority. They're a women's fraternity with roots in Christianity.

By: .
#33  by: several   

I'd like to see the system grow significantly. We are an asset to the school.

By: several
#34  by: waddup   

What are you all talking about, ZTA is an awesome sorority! "Breast cancer is a bit overdone, i need something edgier" Do you even know how many lives breast cancer has taken,my aunt was diagnosed and didn't make it,and every 1/8 women are affected by this awful disease.my chapter in california just raised over $37,000, and i feel the most edgiest thing anyone can do is kick ass in such an awful disease. Just because breast cancer has been around for a long time doesn't mean it's overdone, it just means it has killed more people, and we need more people to help with this fight! Who cares what they are in the south,this is the east coast, we can make our own reputations for any sorority! And plus, ZTA is partnered with NFL,Yoplait,Susan G. Kromen,walk for a cure,etc, in the west coast this year, we got to get front row seats for free to the chargers game and then go on the field with the players! ZTA is a m'f awesome sorority!

By: waddup
by: ^^^Jun 24, 2014 5:56:28 PM

Glad that is working out for you, but I agree that breast cancer awareness campaigns are important and relevant, but they have had considerable coverage. Maybe we just want something different. You are in California, so why do you care?

By: ^^^
by: my feelingsAug 26, 2014 12:11:51 PM

The Susan G. Komen foundation is way off base. Of course we all care about Breast Cancer, but the foundation has some serious issues. Watch the documentary "Pink Ribbons Inc" on Netflix to get just a small idea of their problems.

By: my feelings
by: lolDec 9, 2014 4:18:04 PM

The Susan G. Komen foundation is more than off-base. It's problematic.

"Pink Ribbons Inc" is a great documentary to see.

By: lol
#35  by: southern   

Some of y'all mentioned bringing in some southern sororities, and if that's the case I would look at the biggest Greek systems (the SEC) and look at their strongest, which is usually a good indicator. Also listed are other schools where these sororities are strong!

Delta Delta Delta - best/very good at Ole Miss, LSU, University of Tennessee Knoxville, Vanderbilt, UNC-Chapel Hill
Philanthropy - St. Jude/childhood cancer

Kappa Delta - best/very good at Ole Miss, LSU, Alabama, Vanderbilt, Florida State University, Penn State
Philanthropy- Girls Scouts

By: southern
by: PMNov 17, 2014 10:13:00 AM

Phi Mu is a great Southern sorority and CMN is their main philanthropy. Would definitely be a mix up for what is currently here.

By: PM
by: Southern sororities Jul 7, 2015 2:15:52 AM

Alpha Delta Pi- best/very good at Florida State, Florida, Kentucky, UNC Chapel Hill, & Georgia. They have recolonized at Ole Miss (heard they were doing good) and well be returning to LSU soon.
Philanthropy- Ronald McDonald House Charities

By: Southern sororities
#36  by: Hmmm   

How about Alpha Omicron Pi? Their national philanthropy is Arthritis Foundation and they were founded at Cornell. Thoughts?

By: Hmmm
by: lolDec 9, 2014 4:01:17 PM

Google search says they were founded at Barnard/Columbia.

Could be a good addition to campus...arthritis research is a worthy cause.

#37  by: Southern    

Phi Mu

By: Southern
#38  by: agree   

I really like kappa deltas philanthropy and they have a really strong alum support locally - already strong at brown and gw. Dz and zta and sss are not the reputation we are looking for. Sss is almost unknown but either tridelta or kd would be a good fit here and they both have very strong nationals

By: agree
by: lolDec 9, 2014 4:19:56 PM

kappa deltas philanthropy is girl scouts of america? also brown and gw are not local at all...

I think tri delta is not the reputation we are looking for. Harvard women are looking to break the mold or redefine it.

by: philanthropy Sep 24, 2015 3:44:20 PM

if harvard women are looking to "break the mold", then you should be open to chapters with philanthropies so focused on female empowerment and youth development like KD, SDT, and Gamma Phi. Girl Scouts is an amazing organization, and KD's second philanthropy is PCAA, which is also a philanthropy of SDT. Gamma Phi supports Girls on the Run. I don't see what's so "edgy" about arthritis research. Not that it's not also a great cause, but just because something is a little random doesn't make it more worthy of support.

By: philanthropy
by: supDec 4, 2015 2:49:13 PM

@lol....what the heck is wrong with "the mold"???

By: sup
by: what?Jul 14, 2023 2:52:16 PM

Kappa Delta's national philanthropy is Prevent Child Abuse - they have raised over 27 million dollars and the majority of that money goes to the local non profit that supports children in need. I LOVE their philanthropy!

However they also work with Girl Scouts but the main philanthropy is Prevent Child Abuse America

By: what?
#39  by: Happy    

Phi Mu wants to have more chapters in the NE and would hopefully be invited. Childrens Miracle Network is the national philanthropy but local chapters also support any charity the chapter agrees on.

By: Happy
#40  by: Santa_bby   

I vote ΣΣΣ they already succeeded in one philanthropy and are now focused on children's play therapy. They are a little smaller but heavy into their philanthropy and don't support a "party girl" image and are heavy into leadership opportunities within the organization

By: Santa_bby

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.