facebook

sorority comments

by: GR Administrator

Elon University - EU General Sorority Comments

Posted By: GR Administrator
Post Reply Report
Page 5 of 18
#41  by: Really?   

REVISED: Scope of influence in college and beyond...

AlphaChiOmega ? national, top tier
AlphaXi Delta ? national, bottom tier
AlphaOmicronPi ? national, bottom tier
PhiMu ? national, middle-tier
SigmaKappa ? many small schools+ state U
TriSigma ? many small schools+ state U
Tridelta ? national, top tier
ZTA ? national, middle-tier

Get real. Of all the sororities at Elon there are only TWO that are strong nationally and they are Tri Delta and Alpha Chi Omega. The top sororities nationally are Kappa Alpha Theta, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Pi Beta Phi, Delta Delta Delta, Chi Omega, Delta Gamma, Alpha Phi and Alpha Chi Omega. Elon has TWO of those groups. It's something to think about when you realize that college is only four years of your life, but you will be an alumnae for the rest of your life.

By: Really?
#42  by: beentheredonethat   

Times change, ?Really?. I concede that my information dates back to my own greek life experience and that goes back quite some time. Let?s just say that historically and at a national level there was a top-5 who stood out and were trend setters, followed by a majority of solid middle tier houses who may not have been innovative but were very spirited, and then an assortment of smaller houses who had their own unique identities based primarily on their location and their sole focus on the collegiate experience. Every house has a history, but what?s amazing to me is how every pledge class has the power to make an impact. Potential new members have a lot to consider. Current members are driven to influence you, but my advice is to choose a house based on who is in your incoming class as those bonds will very likely last the longest ? take a good look at whose going into the final round with you, feel a connection and hopefully head into a house together.

By: beentheredonethat
#43  by: beentheredonethat   

Sorry for the double post, I know it's annoying. I steped away and refreshed the page an hour later and it double posted on me. I'm hoping a moderator will respond to my question in FAQ to try and edit one out.

By: beentheredonethat
#44  by: Times are changin   

Interesting info about sororities at the national level. Over the past five to ten years there has been a shift in what have always been considered the top tier of national sororites. I'd probably agree with what was written in the revised comment about the top tier, except I'm not sure I'd put Alpha Chi Omega in the top tier. Delta Gamma and Alpha Phi (neither are at Elon) seem to be the two sororites have gained tremendous strength especially in the past five years. That being said, I'd agree that girls who are thinking about joining a sorority should look at more than just the chapter at the local level and think beyond their college years. Joining a sorority is for a lifetime, not just your college years.

By: Times are changin
#45  by: Alumsi   

I'm an sorority alum from Elon and while there is some validity in the comments regarding "life after college", I think it is unrealistic to join a sorority for 4 years while at Elon because nationally they might be ranked higher, but on this campus, they are considered lower tier. You spend the majority of your collegiate career being active in your sorority and less as an alumni because life gets in the way (careers, family, etc). PNMs need to join where they feel most comfortable and keep open minds during recruitment. This tier stuff is bs.

By: Alumsi
#46  by: interesting   

This is interesting to me as a freshman because my family is REALLY against me joining a couple of the "no name" sororities here at Elon. My mother and grandmother are really pushing me to only consider ZTA, AXO, Phi Mu or DDD because they think they're the only ones that will mean anything once I graduate. It's all so confusing :(

By: interesting
#47  by: tinkerbell   

I?m personally glad we?re getting into this discussion before formal recruitment gets underway. I agree that talking ?tiers? really does not do justice to Greek Life and often pushes the anger button in people. However, just as Elon University is evolving, it is predictable that the Greek system at Elon is evolving, too. The history of just about anything demonstrates that old models of hierarchy eventually give way to new orders of organization, and if people feel threatened about change the transition will be made more difficult. However, there are many ways to make Greek Life more sane. PNMs are looking for friends and a sense of belonging, not drama. Start by making friendship the focus. Whether friendships are short term or long term, the moments experienced at Elon should be treasured. Competition can be friendly. Rivalry can be spirited. Respect can be mutual.

By: tinkerbell
#48  by: Alumsi   

To Intersting below: Your family will have their ideas about what you should do/who you should rush. However, its your decision alone to make, because you will be the one wearing the badge for the rest of your life - not them. Also, and not to be mean, but what happens when the sororities your family wants you to rush drop you?

#49  by: Alumsi   

Agree with the brainwashing - don't get caught up in it. Many groups promote you to have other friendships and activities, it makes you a more well rounded person and can be a better asset to the sorority. Also, don't get caught up with the "tent talk" (what other PNMs say during recruitment about different groups. While Elon provides a "No Frills" recruitment - there is going to be glitz to it. But trust me, those houses don't look like that everyday.

#50  by: sana   

I'm an alum from a few years back and its amazing to me to see how the stereotypes have changed so much! Goes to show you that what might be a great sorority when you join, might be bad after you graduate! Choose wisely!

By: sana

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.