facebook

gpa?!

by: sos

first semester of college has been rough for me... 1.6 gpa and 4 classes that count towards gpa. I really dont need any rude comments on this because i really am nervous about this. i know i will be on academic probation but what does that generally entail? I know every sorority is different with this but can I get an idea of what other sororities do for academic probation? You dont just kick them out right, you give them a semester to get it together..? please help me out i dont want to get deactivated.

Posted By: sos
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: answer   

if this is your first semester in a sorority, and you haven't been fully initiated as a member, you will be asked to leave. I know a couple houses wait until semester to follow up with their NM grades before initiating (Chi O, theta). If you are already initiated then you may have to do logged study hours and you will not be allowed to go to socials. At least in my house. They give you 1 semester to raise your GPA before you are asked to leave.

By: answer
#2  by: What she said   

Yah the person above me summed it up pretty well! If you're a freshman, having a low GPA for your first semester is not uncommon. College is a big adjustment. If your house gives you a semester to redeem itself (which I think most do) then you're just going to have to make sure you take it seriously and do everything possible to get a better GPA! Try not to worry too much!

By: What she said
#3  by: Worry?   

I'm not saying this to be rude, but rather to be helpful. The person who said "don't worry too much" is wrong. You should be worried and you should resolve to change just about everything you have done so far in your college career. If being in a sorority contributed to your bad grades (because of too much partying, too many sorority obligations, etc.) you SHOULD leave that sorority. If you get another semester to redeem yourself, your first and ONLY priority must be to raise your grades. That means all A's. If you registered for extremely difficult classes, do what you can to switch classes so that your course load (or major) is more realistic. And then when you come back, let everyone know that nothing will get in the way of studying. Your GPA can be the ticket to a decent job. And having respect from your professors is the ONLY way to get good recommendations from them for internships and jobs. If you really feel that you tried your hardest, then perhaps you should take a semester off to work on your study skills. And if you really think college is just too hard consider attending a vocational or technical college, which will do a great job of preparing you for a practical, real-life career. Perhaps you just aren't cut out for college. I hope you will give it another try, but you have to focus and figure out how you are going to make the changes necessary to succeed.

By: Worry?
#4  by: Correct   

The above comment is 100% correct. I started out with bad grades and as a result didn't make it into Journalism School as a junior. So I had to switch to a major that didn't really prepare me very well for a career and I am about to graduate with a degree that is next to meaningless. I have a 2.5 gpa now, but in this world that doesn't mean much. I had a great time being Greek, but my four years are pretty much wasted because I spent so much time partying instead of studying. Believe it or not I am planning to enroll in a two-year med tech program at a technical school in my hometown. So I will have a bachelor's degree and an associate degree, but I plan to study much harder in the next two years and maybe come up with some sort of career. I thought about going to grad school in some sort of liberal arts field, but I doubt I can get into a good program and I doubt there will be many jobs when I graduate. Sorry about this rant, but I guess the point is no sorority fun is worth destroying your GPA.

By: Correct
#5  by: thank you   

i appreciate all the comments on here, I really need this peace of mind. I have had a change of heart after seeing my first college gpa and I plan on coming back and recovering from it during spring semester. However, Im afraid my sorority is going to be really hard on me about this. Do they check periodically to see if you're doing better and maybe allow you to attend a social or something even when you are on academic probation? I know everyone is different but I still would like to do things with my sorority. obviously not as much as I did first semester but maybe a few things. Like what would I still be able to do during this recovery semester in my chapter?

By: thank you
by: to "thank you"Dec 19, 2013 5:40:55 PM

No, unfortunately it's typically it's a whole semester deal. Mizzou doesn't give out "mid term" grades so there's no way of the sorority checking up on you. You will have to log your study hours and turn them in. You won't be able to go to socials but that doesn't mean you can't hang out with your sisters doing volunteer work or community service. those things aren't as fun of course but probation is supposed to teach you a lesson. You will still be able to bond with your sisters, socials aren't the whole part of being in a sisterhood.

By: to "thank you"
#6  by: Remember   

You are in college first and foremost to get an education. Forget about the socials on concentrate on what you need to do to raise your GPA.

By: Remember
#7  by: Thank you   

Literally thank you all so much. You have given me so much peace of mind and motivation. Little things like this keep me going :)

By: Thank you
#8  by: Sincerely   

Best of luck to you. If you keep your priorities in order, things should work out.

By: Sincerely

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.