facebook

sorority presidential scholarship

by:    

as a prospective student from out of state, is there a particular sorority which presidential scholarship girl recipients tend to rush? just curious, as Greek life isn’t big here and I’m new to it all.

Posted By: just curious
Page 1 of 2
#1by:    

I’m not sure about that, but the top houses in grades are AXO, AGD and XO.

By: V
#2by:    

FYI... being a presidential scholar is not an identifying factor or social group, so don’t mention that during Rush. No one really cares that much. Programs like the University Fellow’s Experience, Randall, and Blount are so feel free to mention those during rush if you are in one of those.

By: Guest
by: curious   

what about honors college? not UFE or Blount just UA Honors?

By: curious
by: Bama   

Congratulations! You really are special. Your grades and achievements will look good to every sorority.

By: Bama
by: Welcome!   

Thanks for choosing Alabama. We're glad you're coming. Historically they award fewer than 300 of those per year.

By: Welcome!
by: For above comment   

honors isn’t really an identity piece in Rush bc you are new and there’s quite a lot of people in honors. You can become more involved as people progress with honors assembly and ambassadors or programs within honors. However, UFE is very much a social club from what I understand and being in fellows does help for houses with good grades and involvement like AGD, AXO, XO and houses like ADPi, DG, and AOPi who are also smart and involved new row houses

By: For above comment
by: @Welcome   

And you better believe that all 300 are gonna visit this site in the next spring/summer leading up to recruitment, just like all the pretend transfers that weirdly find themselves here.

By: @Welcome
#3by:    

in-state/southern PNMs with the best grades go AXO, AGD, XO.

further OOS PNMs with the best grades are more likely to end up in ADPi, DG, and Theta with a few of the top girls also going AXO.

By: .
#4by:    

Congratulations. A UA Presidential Scholarship is a great achievement.

Just so it’s clear, you will “rush” all houses here during recruitment week before school. I know at some schools girls only rush a few houses - it’s not like that here.

It’s fair to know houses general “types” and if girls with good grades are “your thing” then the UA Panhellenic grade report is available with a quick google.

But I’d also suggest keeping an open mind. There are things about some of the “top grade houses” you may like or maybe not. Some are heavily in-state, Southern and Christian focused which may or may not be of interest to you. I’m am NOT suggesting they will exclude you or that you won’t fit if this doesn’t describe you, but some out of state/out of region girls may not find these houses to be their best fit despite the shared focus on academics.

You can use social media as well to try to get a feel for houses.

And certainly the best means is to talk to as many people as you can about their experiences here.

Best of luck. \n\n\n\n\n

By: Well
#5by:    

Google UA Greek Grade Report. All compete on GPA. It's very important.
AXO is historically number 1.
AGD is mostly in-state.
The other top ones all take girls from out-of-state.

By: Welcome!
by: Ehhhhhhh   

Chi o is extremely southern as well. They get a lot of Mississippi girls which makes their ratio look more geographically diverse than it is. Alpha gam is mostly in state bc it has a lot of tradition in Alabama. Alpha chi is a lot of Alabama and Texas girls.

By: Ehhhhhhh
by: Wrong   

AGD is not mostly in-state. Every house has a majority of OOS, even AGD. Some houses are almost all OOS, but the OR houses have more in-state and in-region than NR houses.

By: Wrong
#6by:    

You'll still need to get recomendation letters to all the sororities. There's advice on how to do this. It's worth the effort; literally all the chapters at Alabama are good. It's probably the best sorority system in the nation.

By: Roll Tide
#7by:    

Please take this constructively, but a Presidential Scholarship may be something you want to down play during recruitment.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great honor and achievement and you are undoubtedly very, very smart.

And even though some house are GPA focused, recruitment remains primarily a “social thing”. Bids, especially at top houses, rely on friends and connections. If you don’t know people (are from out of the area or don’t have others from your hs here) it’s about how you present yourself, how comfortable you make people feel, how you can talk to others and how you make them feel.

I don’t know you and don’t mean to assume too much, but talking about your scholarship, test scores, grades too much isn’t what recruitment is about.

Not saying scholarship kids don’t do well during recruitment. Some do, some don’t. The one’s that do are more focused on their sociability, and It’s wise to be aware of that. \n\n\n\n\n

By: Nice
by: Ummm   

You do realize that Merit scholarships have 100% absolutely NOTHING to do with need, yeah? We all know that, why don't you? Bill Gates could send a kid here and if they had a 1600 SAT and a 4.0. they'd get a free ride.

By: Ummm
by: Ummmm   

@ummm

Seems to be a soft spot for YOU. Never said or mentioned need.

It was about being “social” and about how you present yourself.

By: Ummmm
by: Ummmm   

And I’ll add, you are off to a bad start. Missed the boat completely and proving my point!

Just cause you got 1600 and have a 4.00 doesn’t necessarily mean you can converse, listen and follow a conversation!

By: Ummmm
#8by:    

You are going to have issues during recruitment. Not In either and in a grade based house. But we stIll don’t want you to arrive “bragging” and discussing your scholarship. We’ll know about your grades. We want to know if you can relate and be friendly. So far, not looking food.

By: No.

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: curious   

“you are going to have issues with recruitment”? I never even said I was bragging or even mentioned I was going to bring it up... lol. just curious as I read something earlier about a fraternity being majority presidential scholars. I’m sorry if my scholarship offends you & I hope people during recruitment aren’t as stingy as you. have a good day

By: curious
by: No   

You were offered constructive advice. Nobody was offended by your scholarship.

You turned into a b-t—, and have pretty much proven the need for the advice suggested. Your scholarship is going to be of little consequence during recruitment if you dont have a personality.

Best of luck.

By: No
#9by:    

Fraternities are different. Less emphasis on grades. Only one or two seem to attract high scorers like you.
With sororities, almost all of them do.

#10by:    

Lots of in-state students, parents, and older alums don't know what a Presidential Scholarship is.
Facing declining enrollment, the University adopted a program to attract top out-of-state students, offering purely merit-based OOS tuition reductions. For the top 2% of test takers nationally, tuition is free, regardless of your family's wealth. The overall program has been very successful in increasing enrollment, raising the academic profile of the studentbody, and making OOS students the majority on campus.

By: UA
by: Wrong   

Oh please. Most in state students and parents know what a presidential scholarship is. There are a ton of people who get this scholarship. National Merit scholarships are tougher on the other hand.

Also a lot of high ACT students make lower grades than average scoring ACT students.

This entire post is stupid.

By: Wrong
by: Bama   

The birth rate in the US has been declining for more than 30 years. It's impacting universities with fewer applicants and declining enrollments. Smaller schools won't survive.
There's competition for qualified students, but some states can't afford to compete. Alabama is wining. The losing states are complaining of a brain-drain.

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.