facebook

sorority presidential scholarship

by: just curious

as a prospective student from out of state, is there a particular sorority which presidential scholarship girl recipients tend to rush? just curious, as Greek life isn’t big here and I’m new to it all.

Posted By: just curious
Post Reply Report
Page 2 of 2
#11  by: LC   

The reason high ACT scoring kids may have lower gpa’s is that they take challenging majors like engineering or pre Med not easy majors like communications or marketing. There is a big difference.

By: LC
by: I disagreeDec 8, 2019 1:49:25 AM

I'm an engineering major and math and science come naturally to me. Not saying I don't have WTF moments in my classes, but for me it's nowhere near as hard as a marketing/English type degree would be.

The idea that any major is easy was created just to bash people who aren't in STEM.

By: I disagree
by: CmonDec 8, 2019 6:27:48 AM

Nobody should be offended by the FACT it’s harder to get good grades in engineering and health areas for students trying to get into Med school. Those courses purposefully weed out and fail students. Grading is more difficult. There are more study hours involved.

A 4.0 in elementary education is wonderful and no shame in that. But a 4.0 in Chemical Engineering is harder to achieve.

Nobody. And I mean nobody takes principals of thermodynamics as an elective for an easy “A”. Lol. Or organic chemistry 2, or engineering high level math.....

That isn’t meant to be mean. Not to insult the person in elementary education - a career that is very important.

Rather to acknowledge the hard work and effort of those who are in tough majors. \n\n\n\n\n

By: Cmon
#12  by: Dimeadonzen   

It seems from a FB page I belong to that these scholarships are a dime a dozen for OOS so you will probably be one of many. IMOP a cute , stylish , socially aware girl with a 3.5/3.6gpa and a 26/27ACT will rush better than a Presidential Scholar with an arrogance about being one.

By: Dimeadonzen
by: AgreeDec 8, 2019 6:49:34 AM

I agree with the rush comment.

But these are not a “dime a dozen”’. Very hard to get with very high test scores. Suggesting this hurts your credibility, despite the valid point you are making about recruitment.

By: Agree
by: FactsDec 8, 2019 11:51:23 AM

Presidential scholarships are pretty common. All you need is a 3.5+ GPA and a 30+ (in-state) or 32+ (OOS) ACT. Since 66% of incoming freshmen have a 3.5+ GPA, and 40% have a 30+ ACT, lots of freshmen are "Presidential" and "UA" Scholars.

By: Facts
by: UADec 8, 2019 1:48:17 PM

I don't doubt that 40% of students are 30 and above. 60% are OOS. Those tuition reductions are why they're here. Because they're plentiful here, doesn't mean they're easy to get. It just means the people here got them.
30 is top 6% nationally of those who tested.
32 is top 4%.
33 is top 2%.
34 and above is top 1%.
Hardly plentiful.

By: UA
by: Thanks for comingDec 8, 2019 2:23:13 PM

Rather than denigrate them as "common", we aught to celebrate them as special.

By: Thanks for coming
by: Common?Dec 8, 2019 2:52:23 PM

Common? While the University doesn't publish the number of Presidential Scholarships it awards to OOS students each year, a 2018 article in the Chicago Tribune put the number at around 300, in a freshman class of 7,500. This is from memory, as the article now sits behind a paywall.

By: Common?
by: NopeDec 10, 2019 7:57:56 PM

@ common

The statement in the Chicago Tribune article that you misunderstood (not behind a paywall actually):

"Enter the University of Alabama. It awarded 203 full-tuition scholarships, out of 305 total, to freshman Illinoisans in 2017, defraying more than $100,000 in costs per student. The university has nearly quintupled over the past decade the amount of institutional, non-need-based aid it awards."

This is referring to 305 total freshman coming from ILLINOIS, not that 300 total Presidential Scholarships were awarded to the entire entering UA freshmen class.

Looking at the requirements for the Presidential Scholarship, and the percentage of freshmen who meet these requirements, there are obviously plenty of freshmen attending on this scholarship. A positive for sure, but not uncommon. Girls don't rush certain houses because they are Presidential scholars. The houses rush the girls. This scholarship does not make a girl so special that she will be rushed (or not cut) by the houses in the OP.

By: Nope
by: @ UADec 10, 2019 8:20:20 PM

No one said it was easy to get a 30 -32+ ACT, just that it is not uncommon. 40% is common. At UA anyway.

By: @ UA
#13  by: So   

So 4 percent of the student here have presidential scholarships approximately.

That’s not “common”.

By: So
by: NopeDec 10, 2019 8:17:15 PM

Wrong. 66% (203) of the 2017 incoming freshman from Illinois (305) received a Presidential Scholarship. The Chicago Tribune article is "Growing brain drain: University of Alabama's gain in drawing Illinois students is a loss for Illinois." Google it. Actually read it.

By: Nope
by: I did Dec 10, 2019 8:39:05 PM

It wasn’t “math” about the percentage of Scholarships among those attending from Illinois.

It was math about the overall percentage in the incoming freshman class.

You can be an arrogant a-s-ol- about reading something, but understanding seems to be a weak point for you! Hope you can figure out the word with the dashes - it so well describes you!

Why are smart students fleeing Illinois? Help us understand that. Northwestern doesn’t represent a decent value? The weather is awful? The University of Illinois has no personality? Loyola doesn’t offer much other than a Chicago with high tuition? Need to be brilliant and weird for the University of Chicago?

Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes.

By: I did
by: lolDec 16, 2019 8:35:27 PM

umm then that would mean that 2/3rds of ALL Presidential Scholarships awarded to 7,500 incoming freshmen were given to freshmen from Illinois.

Can you understand how that isn't logical or possible, or is "understanding a weak point for you?"

lol

By: lol
#14  by: So   

The point that it doesn’t give you an automatic into a “top” sorority remains valid all the same.

By: So
#15  by: Just answer her question   

OP wasn't asking for an "automatic" in, she was asking if there was a particular sorority where they were concentrated.

Why do we jump to the conclusion that she's going to brag about it, or that she's arrogant?

Just answer her question, and help her find out how sorority rush works.

By: Just answer her question
by: PlentyDec 8, 2019 6:20:55 PM

There’s been plenty of good advice!

Don’t dwell on it nor make a point of it and pay more attention to being ‘social’ and where you fit.

There is not house where it’s a focus or where they predominate.

By: Plenty
#16  by: Becareful   

Many sororities will rush high gpa girls hard simply just to get them for their gpa and once they are in they often find out they don’t necessarily fit in. So be careful when making your decisions each round and truly stick with where you feel the most comfortable and where you feel you fit in the most. I wouldn’t focus so much on the chapters gpa, rankings on here and looks. Two of those three or subjective and the other really isn’t that important when you are out of college and functioning in the real world.

By: Becareful

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.