facebook

Out of State + Rush

by: girlfromnj

I'm hoping to attend LSU next fall (fingers crossed) and was curious about sorority recruitment as someone who's from the northeast. I've been in contact with some alumnae chapters for meet and greets and then ultimately some recommendations, but would love to know from those already on campus/who went through the process (OOS or not) as to what my chances might be and if I can expect to be "let go" from a house immediately. As someone who's a planner but would be going in with an open mind, would just like to know what I'm potentially in for. Thanks!

Posted By: girlfromnj
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: hey   

i feel like you would have a good rush still many out of state girls get great sororities at lsu but you’d prob get cut from kd and xo and maybe ddd

By: hey
by: LSU parent May 6, 2023 12:16:18 AM

Yes, will most likely get cut from these and Phi Mu as an out of state. For some reason, LSU sororities don’t like out of state girls, which is so dumb.

By: LSU parent
by: LsuJun 2, 2023 1:23:59 AM

You will most likey get cut from KD, Chi-O, DDD, and Phi Mu. Not to worry, almost all OOS are cut from these after ice water. If you make it to philanthropy, you’ll get cut after that fs.

By: Lsu
by: LsuJun 5, 2023 8:58:26 PM

DDD cut for sure. They generally only take LA girls. Unless you know 20 of the girls.

by: TruthJul 30, 2023 1:01:19 AM

Don’t take it personally if you get dropped from most houses. It’s all about the numbers and you have to be ranked very high to avoid the cuts.

By: Truth
#2  by: Lsu pc 22   

Everyone gets cut from some house first round even ppl from louisiana. It’s ok if u don’t get the full 9 back, a lot of out of state girl get like 6 or 7. Most girl get the most cuts after ice water but the next rounds aren’t as bad. Don’t get hung up on tier and look for ppl u actually like. Ull most likely have a good rush.

By: Lsu pc 22
by: yesDec 22, 2022 3:32:01 PM

^^^ this.

By: yes
by: Rush cutsMay 4, 2023 12:04:10 AM

Cuts are bad after philanthropy too. Be prepared for that especially OOS.

By: Rush cuts
by: bump itAug 10, 2023 5:13:58 PM

oos please read this all!

By: bump it
#3  by: nj   

I’m from nj and pref with tri delt and kappa

By: nj
#4  by: nj   

I’m from nj and pref with tri delt and kappa

By: nj
by: sratJun 2, 2023 4:00:34 PM

then you had some sort of connection within the house. someone in the house was pushing you. not possible otherwise.

By: srat
#5  by: Little bit   

I also came from north east, good gpa, lots of leadership positions in highschool and very involved. I only got 5 houses back after ice water round. Most houses will cut you if you aren’t From here or surrounding states. Don’t take it to heart, most just rely on who you know in the sorority.

By: Little bit
by: LSU parent May 6, 2023 12:31:32 AM

Same thing for my daughter! Great gpa, very involved in hs, cheerleader. She is also out of state. She got cut ice water round, without even visiting the houses from KD, Chi O, KKG, PM. Good thing she didn’t want those houses anyway haha

By: LSU parent
by: LSU OOSMay 6, 2023 12:12:07 PM

I had KD and Kappa for pref, my roommate had Chi O and Kappa, and my friend had Tri Delt and Phi Mu for pref. We are all out of state. Be yourself, and you'll find your house.

By: LSU OOS
by: not oosMay 6, 2023 2:57:41 PM

Texas, MS, AL or another southern state do not count for oos. I and I'm sure you were all legacies too.

By: not oos
by: LSU OOSMay 6, 2023 5:27:53 PM

I'm not a legacy, and neither is my friend. My roommate was/is a legacy.

By: LSU OOS
#6  by: fr   

For any PNMs reading this — because I know I was when I was a high school senior — here’s what I didn’t know when I was in your position.

Top house doesn’t mean best house. Top just means hard to get into. Top just means LESS SPOTS available to get in because their members & alumni are pulling for so many girls
Each house gets a number of girls they HAVE to cut during recruitment. The bigger the cuts the harder it is to get in. Top houses might have to cut 75% of the girls before they even meet them. They don’t have as many spots to fill, so it ends up being girls they already know or girls with connection or legacy. This makes the exclusive/hard to get into rep continue year after year. Girls in these houses already know each other really well from high school, camp, or somewhere else. If you are not from one of these groups, you might have a harder time fitting in. It can be done, but it is really hard.

For example, If you move from OOS to a high school where you don’t know anyone your senior year and everyone else has been friends since elementary school, it’s gonna be harder to fit in. It can be done, but it’s harder. This is how recruitment is. If you don’t have several girls fighting for you in a house, it is really hard to get asked back. If a top house can only invite back 50 girls and a lower house can invite back 100 then you have more of a chance of being 1 of 50 if you know a bunch of girls. If your OOS they’re not going to waste one of their 50 spots on someone no one knows. It would be easier to be 1 of 100 because there are more available spots. A random OOS outstanding PNM has slim chances of getting a spot.

Top doesn’t mean friendliest or happiest or best sisterhood. It just means hardest to get into. In fact like the high school example, you’ll probably fit in better with other people who haven’t known each other forever and who have also recently moved to Louisiana. The top houses don’t have very many OOS girls. The mid houses have more OOS. You should go where you feel comfortable. Harder to get into doesn’t = better. It’s math. Because if you’re in state you prob went to high school with a lot of girls in the top houses so they help get you in — connections.

What I learned the hard way is you need connections (which you’ll hear over and over again on GR) and if you don’t have them then you probably don’t really want to be in that sorority because so many of the girls already know each other. Trust me it is HARD to break in to groups of girls that already have a history from high school or camp or whatever. If you have connections, then you need to decide do you really truly want your connections to be sisters? Do you feel like your best self around them? Doyou really want HS 2.0? There are some girls w/no connections, and yes some no connection girls make friends, but that hasn’t been my experience.

If I could give any advice it would be the mid houses have the best sisterhoods and are not cliquey. OOS girls if you don’

By: fr
by: praise Aug 11, 2023 10:24:35 AM

You said this so so so well omg.

By: praise
#7  by: oos fr   

bump!

By: oos fr
#8  by: oos   

I'm oos,and I got asked back to 8 houses. Then I got asked back to 2. I did not know a single person in a single house. The second cut can be as brutal as the first cut. Make that first impression unforgettable. You are 1 of 1500 girls. PNMs: all these houses are really great. I'm so happy in my house - mid houses have great sisterhoods.

By: oos
#9  by: Lsu   

Bump!

#10  by: hi!   

oos girls may not get cut from “top” houses first round if they have really good recs and involvement. It also doesn’t hurt to have a really good picture of yourself to send in. It’s hard not to take anything personally but keep in mind that the girls who rush you at the houses may love you but you could still get cut because rush is so competitive at sec schools. Overall just focus on finding a house where you are happy and comfy during the convos. You will find your home, and most girls aren’t 100 happy on bid day, that sterotype comes from all of the girls who knew they would be in a certain house for all of rush, no matter what house you join, you will make friends and have a good time if you’re willing to be involved and make an effort

By: hi!
by: RushoosMay 4, 2023 12:02:19 AM

Bump!

By: Rushoos
by: sratJun 2, 2023 3:58:02 PM

this is so important. the girls might really like you, and you had a really great event, but you still get cut. It's all a numbers game. They liked you and wanted you, but could only ask a certain number of girls back. don't let your feelings get hurt (if you can). its numbers and not personal. you HAVE to have a connection in the house or a legacy.

By: srat
by: LsuJul 29, 2023 1:53:21 PM

Best advice!

by: OosApr 2, 2024 12:29:18 PM

Still relevant. All non-southern girls should read.

By: Oos

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.