facebook

Out of State + Rush

by: girlfromnj

I'm hoping to attend LSU next fall (fingers crossed) and was curious about sorority recruitment as someone who's from the northeast. I've been in contact with some alumnae chapters for meet and greets and then ultimately some recommendations, but would love to know from those already on campus/who went through the process (OOS or not) as to what my chances might be and if I can expect to be "let go" from a house immediately. As someone who's a planner but would be going in with an open mind, would just like to know what I'm potentially in for. Thanks!

Posted By: girlfromnj
Post Reply Report
Page 2 of 3
#11  by: nope oos   

most oos get cut from ddd, kd, chi-o, and phi mu after ice water. They only want girls from la or nearby states. Then oos get cut from everyone else after philanthropy

By: nope oos
#12  by: oos   

most oos should expect to get cut from kd, phi mu, tri-delt, and chi-o immediately. they are not open to oos (not applicable to tx, ms, or al). They only invite girls they know from hs.
kkg, dz, pi phi, and dg are more open to oos.
zeta takes lots of oos.
good luck.

By: oos
#13  by: Peace   

Rushing at a Southern school is stressful to say the least. I find the “top” sororities take girls from LA and their sister states. I agree you have to have a connection with someone who can pull for you. With that being said…find the group of girls you like the most during Rush. There are great girls in every sorority! “Top” is a relative term

By: Peace
by: geaux tigersJun 15, 2023 12:10:11 AM

this ^^^^^

By: geaux tigers
#14  by: Really   

@LSU parent
Sounds like sour grapes

By: Really
by: Seriously Jun 5, 2023 11:17:45 PM

“Sour grapes” ok grandma. How about you stay in your lane? I get where @lsu parent is coming from even tho I’m from right here in BR. I’m sure no OOS parent likes to see their kid cut - likely an over-achiever who meets most houses’ criterion- except this is where a strong rec comes in…. so just bc of where they are from they are likely cut. But that is the reality of SEC rush just to get thru the large numbers.

By: Seriously
by: Really Jun 6, 2023 7:38:04 AM

Nah…she wanted her kid in a top one….other wise she wouldn’t have ended her statement with hahaha good thing she didn’t want them.

By: Really
#15  by: Hi   

I’m from far out of state and had a full schedule each round of rush. It’s so important to get your recs submitted and have a clean social media (also make sure your acc is public). I had a great rush overall and got into a house that is considered “top”. Yes it’s harder to get into these houses, but it is most definitely possible! I know tons of other oos girls in top houses. Good luck!

By: Hi
by: Oos1Jun 24, 2023 4:42:19 PM

But are you a legacy? Did you go to camp with all the girls? Do you know people here? Hard to believe you got in a ‘top’ house without connections somewhere.

The point is OOS usually don’t have the connections LA girls have.

By: Oos1
#16  by: srat   

with 100+ girls in a pledge class and 300+ girls in every house except adpi and theta, you will find your people

By: srat
#17  by: greekalum   

My experience is that at most schools there are what some might consider top houses, but generally there are a large number of sororities that are respectable and only a few that struggle. The best thing you can do as someone from out of state is to secure letters of recommendation. That first round before you meet anyone from the houses, cuts are being made. Grades are the easiest way to cut girls--chances are if your GPA is below 3 (and I would argue even higher than that), you are not getting asked back by a number of houses. Then there has to be a way to distinguish girls that no active in the house knows personally--this is where a letter of rec can be helpful.

By: greekalum
#18  by: meow   

i would honestly expect to get cut from ddd, xo, kd, and maybe phi mu first round. it's nothing about you that makes them cut you, but these sororities have to cut someone and it's easiest to cut a girl who has no connection to the sorority. kappa and dz take a few oos girls every year. aphi dg and pi phi take a decnt amount of oos and zeta adpi and theta take a lot of oos girls.
try not to feel affected by harsh cuts, bc i know it upset me when i had good grades and involvement and i got cut after ice water. focus on whatever houses u have and make the decision that is the best for u and u will have a great time!

By: meow
by: AgreeAug 6, 2023 12:01:33 AM

Agree. Expect the kd ddd xo and phi mu cut

By: Agree
by: galApr 17, 2024 11:51:54 AM

what if you are a legacy? my mom was a DDD in Tx

By: gal
#19  by: gal   

how do you prepare for rush at LSU. I'm from OOS and I don't know anyone who has rushed recently other than my mom. didn't know I needed recs etc.

By: gal
#20  by: To gal   

Reread this thread. Sorority members have told you what you need to do. I would add to follow ALL the LSU chapters on social media. Follow LSU Panhellenic on social media. Make your social media public so the sororities can check you out. Ask your former teachers, former Sunday School teachers, neighbors, your friends’ parents, your parents friends and coworkers if they are a sorority member or if they know anyone who is because you will be rushing at LSU and you need recommendations. And get right to work on this.

By: To gal

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.