facebook

recommendations??

by: question

How important are recommendations if I want to rush? The only connection I have to any sorority is my aunt and my cousins being Chi Omegas at various schools across the country (not TCU). I'm from Colorado, and I'd really love to rush, but the whole process at TCU seems really intimidating. The TCU greek life website says recs are optional... but I've heard they are actually pretty necessary. Thank You for any advice/insight you might have!!

Posted By: question
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 3
#1  by: Girls    

Each house is different but honest you need recs because competition is TUFF

By: Girls
#2  by: hi   

definitely try getting more recs. you'd be surprised at how many you could find! ask your parents to send out mass emails asking if anyone was in a sorority, or maybe even contact your local Panhellenic HQ saying you're rushing and they'll get you a rec for each sorority here! As for Chi Omega, they're big on recs during recruitment, so it's good you have that!

By: hi
by: TxFeb 23, 2014 12:21:48 AM

These are much more important than people let on,

By: Tx
by: Fact Feb 25, 2014 10:44:54 PM

If you don't have recs you simply may not get asked back. Competition is so tight these matter. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

By: Fact
by: TCU insideMar 5, 2014 9:48:15 AM

I didn't realize just how huge the competition is coming here. A rec letter can make a big difference at the beginning of the process.

By: TCU inside
#3  by: Rush   

Find your local Panhellenic council! They are a wonderful rec resource for those who don't have existing ties in the TCU Greek community

By: Rush
by: RushFeb 25, 2014 5:18:21 PM

This is truly an excellent source of help. Without recs you are at a huge disadvantage no matter what the politically correct answer is this is the truthful answer.

By: Rush
by: FrogMar 3, 2014 9:22:14 PM

Excellent advise

By: Frog
#4  by: ?   

Gotta give them period

By: ?
#5  by: Springtime   

You don't need a ton of letters but two or three quality letters for houses you are interested in a must.

By: Springtime
#6  by: alum   

get off this site on go to GREEKCHAT for great advice on how to obtain recs.
100% required at TCU

By: alum
by: greekchatApr 8, 2014 5:57:03 PM

Go there only if you have a tough hide. Those old biddies are so hateful and stuck on themselves that it will be hard to get any information. They have all kinds of unwritten rules and if you break one they are really hateful. Just so you're warned...

By: greekchat
#7  by: rec   

You need recs, don't let anyone tell you differently.

By: rec
by: false Mar 5, 2014 8:11:19 AM

Haha no, some houses require recs from their nationals in order to give a bid and that can help them make early cuts.

This sounds harsh, but there are +900 girls on day one, if a sorority has no idea who you are they might put you low on their list. It doesn't mean you aren't fun or nice it just means that they might have +500 girls they received recs for from active alumni that they liked just as well. A well written rec by an alumn that knows you can really help you in the beginning!

Obviously, by the end of the week, glowing recs aren't going to be what gets you a bid from a house. It'll be your personality!

By: false
by: Frog14Mar 24, 2014 1:52:59 PM

False has given you the definitive answer on this subject. Rec letters can make or break you in the beginning.

By: Frog14
#8  by: Rec   

Competition is way to tight to come here without at least a couple of strong rec letters. If you don't know someone then contact your local alumni office. Without rec letters a lot of groups cut you immediately. There are so many girls this is an easy first cut.

By: Rec
#9  by: Now   

A defiant requirement no matter what else you hear.

By: Now
#10  by: TCU    

It cannot be over stressed that with some chapters no recs may cut you from the beginning. You and your mom need to do the leg work to get these.

By: TCU
by: RightMar 22, 2014 12:57:49 AM

The web site may say optional but that's not true. At least now that their are around a 1000 girls. Everyone is smart and exceptional in HS or they don't get in to TCU. In the beginning lack of these can get you cut. I had no idea before I went through so I want others to be prepared.

By: Right

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.