facebook

sorority dues

by: PNM

Any insight on paying sorority dues? Are the new members payment due at beginning of semester or end? How do you guys pay for it, by saving up? Loans? Just curious for how it will work next year. Please no negative comments, also any others tips on paying you may have!! (:

Posted By: PNM
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: HopeThisHelps   

First off, sororities are based on MONEY. You are paying to be in it, so if you are already worried about paying dues, you probably shouldn't rush.
Second, it depends on the chapter. New member period is the most expensive though because of national fees/badge fees/etc. Some chapters offer payments to be split up while other require payment in full.
Third, you have to understand to be successful in a sorority, you need to spend above and beyond dues. You should be paying for basic upkeep (hair, tanning, nails) as well as having nice clothes for everyday wear and for socials/formals/etc.

By: HopeThisHelps
#2  by: anon   

The post above me is 100% right. The cost of dues is just the start. BEING in a sorority costs even more. Buying presents, donations, mandatory outfits for philanthropy events, taking a little....the list goes ON! If paying for dues seems too out of reach, you may have a hard time enjoying the sorority because A) you work your ass off all week just for dues or B) you can't afford the extra added costs to be really involved.

By: anon
#3  by: anon   

However, if you are a PNM who is REALLY determined. I would save up at least $2,000 over the Summer. This will give you some breathing room for when the semester starts.

By: anon
#4  by: AlphaAlum   

Hey PNM! Congrats on wanting to go through recruitment! Being in a sorority is costly, and I would DEFINITELY agree that it goes beyond dues. I spent well over $300 just on gifts for my little during her initiation week. You also have the option of buying t-shirts or favors for pretty much every event, and those add up.
Ignore the person saying that you have to spend money on hair/nails, tanning. I never tanned and I was my chapter president. You're in Florida, go lay in the sun. There are plenty of ways to look cute on a budget!
Any sorority should be 100% honest with its members as far as finances. I would not mention that you may have trouble paying during recruitment. It's not that sororities don't want poor girls, it's that they don't want a financial burden. Sororities base their budgets on x number of members paying x amount, and if a member can't pay her dues it messes up the whole chapter's finances. We actually sent a girl to collections because she didn't pay her dues.
I really agree with the part that if you're very worried about finances, you should think twice. Being in a sorority is very time consuming, but very rewarding. That being said, if you have to miss a lot of events due to work, or can't go to formal because you're behind on dues, you're not only paying a lot, but you're not reaping all the benefits of your membership.
My advice? Work a LOT during the summer and SAVE. Don't take out a loan unless you're dead set on being Greek.

By: AlphaAlum
#5  by: Truthful sorority girl   

I feel the posts above are a bit of an exaggeration. Duues are a lot but some are much cheaper than others and Yes you may spend money once in the sorority but not EVERYONE spenf 300 on gifts #w t f? especially if u stick to crafts and hsmmy downs from your big and ur first year. Plus A lot of sororities have payments plans that can help a little. Plus some of the dues go towards t-shirts and fun stuff so you don't have to spend your own money on that stuff. It's only if u feel like spending extra if your fund runs out or if it's something you can't use your fund for like frat clothes. In my sorority we get 150 of our dues towards clothes or items a semester and most shirts take from 15-20. Yes dues are expensive but not always the worst you may think. They pay for socials formal grab a dates, sisterhood events and retreats and a whole bunch of other stuff. Def worth it!!! Hope this helps.

By: Truthful sorority girl
#6  by: You can make it work   

I personally work a parti-time job, go to school and am active in my chapter, I make minim wage and I have enough to pay for my dues if I budget my money correctly. Many chapters have payment plans, some you have to apply for and some everyone is on a payment plan. All the costs for each sorority should be on the ucf pan or ofsl website if you want to go look at them and it lays out what the money is used for kind of. Also another important thing to mention is that some chapters are inclusive while others are not, and this is a question to ask durning recruitment for finance day! For example one chapter might include your shirts for sister hood retreats and philanthropy event, while other chapter may make you pay extra for them. Also some chapters will charge you extra to bring a date to an event, while in others it's included! Don't forget about fines too! Most chapters fine if you miss an event or if you are even late for chapter! So look it for those that don't, you can ask abot this during recruitment as well! I know I dropped houses that I knew I couldn't afford on the first day because I knew I wouldn't be able to stay in that chapter.
There are extra fees you can pay (optional) like for shirts your chapter is selling or going to other pan event and big/little gifts. But things like big little gifts can be hand made it hand me downs, you can also save over time to buy these things. who ever said you have to have your hair done, nails done and a tan that's some bs!

By: You can make it work
#7  by: Wtf   

How did this post get brought back from the dead of 2013?! This chick is probably an alum...

By: Wtf
by: U.M.Apr 2, 2021 11:44:47 AM

Very good point!

By: U.M.

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.