facebook

third times a charm?

by: adviceplz

I'm a Junior who has gone out for recruitment for the past 2 years and have not be successfully matched either time. I was always left with one org and I sincerely tried to give them a chance but honestly couldn't see myself there. While I hope the reason I have yet to have success is because of the large numbers, which continue to rise every year, I can't help but think maybe I don't belong in any sorority which makes me sad bc it is the one thing I really wanted coming in to college and I love the idea of a sisterhood and would love to experience every aspect of a sorority. I would like advice from current girls in sororities, would it be dumb and look pathetic if I tried one more time to go through formal recruitment or should I just try Alpha Xi Delta (I know that isn't a guaranteed bid either)? I really want to try a third time just for a final hurrah but I don't want to look pathetic or be seen as a "sad case" because I've tried twice already. Please honest advice would be helpful but please try not to be harsh. Thanks :)

Posted By: adviceplz
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: opinon   

It depends on when things happen. If formal recruitment happens first, then the colonization, try it. But ask yourself what went wrong the last two times. Did you not engaged enough, not seem interested, were you shy? Etc. It's like a job interview, you have to be enthusiastic. Also, be prepared to answer why you didn't join before now, keeping in mind that some houses may remember you. Don't dwell on it. Say it didn't work out before but I really want to commit myself to a group and make a positive contribution. Remember that with some groups though, once cut = always cut. Be prepared to end up with the same result, or being cut completely though, if you go through with it. That could happen to a freshman too though.

If you decide to pursue formal recruitment and it doesn't work out, then maybe try for the Alpha Xi Delta colony. It's not a back-up plan, but it will possibly be a second chance. Don't expect a guaranteed bid, because they are particular about the members they want for their colonies and will likely cut a lot of girls who do go for the colony. It's usually get to know you events and then formal interviews. Remember to look nice and make a good impression. Colonies are usually more accepting of Juniors to mimic the existing structure of groups and pledge classes. If they took all freshman, the whole chapter would graduate at once. Know how you want to get involved because colonies often look to older women to assume leadership roles.

Good luck.

By: opinon
#2  by: ??   

Why couldn't you see yourself in that final organization?

By: ??
by: posterJan 15, 2015 12:13:51 PM

i did't click with any of the girls and found myself dreading going into their room because they weren't very talkative and there were lots of awkward silences

By: poster
#3  by: same HELP!   

I'm also a Junior thinking about rushing for a third time and I was just wondering what goes through your mind, as a sister in an organization during formal recruitment, if someone says that they are a junior and this is their third time participating in formal recruitment. Is it negative, like if you haven't gotten a bid by now you aren't getting one, or is it more positive, like wow she is really dedicated and must really want to be in a sorority maybe I should give her a chance and see what that perseverance and dedication could bring to my organization....just wondering

By: same HELP!
by: you may not like thisFeb 2, 2015 8:35:58 PM

If I'm being completely honest here, it's more likely to be the same conclusion that was reached before. Also, for the OP, if an organization has offered you a bid before and you turned it down, it's unlikely that they will again, just fair warning.

By: you may not like this
by: ..Feb 2, 2015 11:28:38 PM

to the "you may not like this" response to this post, that's ridiculous, so no sororities are open-minded or realize a lot can change in a year? -_-

By: ..
by: It's TrueFeb 3, 2015 6:16:25 AM

If you rush as a freshman, drop and rush again as a sophomore, you'll have a way better chance at getting a bid from someone. Rushing for a third time may be a little more rough because it's assumed you were given at least one chance those past two years and you turned it down.

By: It's True
by: trueFeb 3, 2015 2:10:33 PM

While the above posts are harsh, they're true. With recruitment getting more competitive by the year, it's harder for girls that are rushing 3 years in a row to get bids due to the fact that they've all probably been offered a bid before, or dropped out of recruitment willingly. If you are meant to be a part of Greek life, you will trust the system and keep an open mind about what opportunities await you.

By: true
#4  by: you may not like this   

It wasn't meant to be a harsh criticism, it was meant to be the honest answer you're looking for. Let me explain a little: Sororities know a lot can change with a person in a year, and they're going to reconsider you, but that doesn't mean they will offer you a bid just because they take another look at you as a PNM. If they for some reason have a negative impression of you, you're working against that and a negative opinion of a person is difficult to change, so you would have to really "wow" them if that's the case. If they just kind of forgot you and you didn't stand out, you have a chance to make more of an impression, and you want to make sure that you do this and that it's a good impression. If you view recruitment and go through with it the way you always have, you'll get the same results as before.
Please remember, that the same way a lot can change for an individual in a year, a lot can change for a sorority. So the same way you want them to consider you again and keep an open mind, do that for chapters you may have not given a second thought in the past. When you write off chapters that aren't your first (or second, or even third) choice the first day, they can tell. And then if you end up getting cut from your first choice, there may not be the opportunity to find where you belong because you basically blew off a chapter that would have given you a chance.

By: you may not like this
#5  by: Gee   

You have a good shot at axd because they need to take juniors and not many come out ! Def try it !!

By: Gee
#6  by: Experienced Recruiter   

Honestly sororities typically remember exactly who they chose not to extend a bid to the previous years, and unfortunately that impression tends to stick with the members of the organizations. So, if your first impression of the organization was negative and you were not invited back (twice), then that is likely to happen a third time. I think that you should give the final organization which gave you a chance a try and if not then join AXiD (yet no bids are guaranteed).

By: Experienced Recruiter

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.