facebook

we need more sororities

by: PNM

Why is it we have like 15 fraternities but only 6 Panhellenic sororities? I've always wanted to go Greek but I didn't feel at home at any of them. Why dont they bring on more sororites like Phi Sigma Sigma or Alpha Gamma Delta?

Posted By: PNM
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: abc   

multiple sororities have tried to come. PHC has blocked them all because its already hard for them to meet their quotas. it used to be they needed 100 girls each, but instead of adding a new house, they raised it 120 each. 20 girls x 6 houses could have gone towards a new sorority.

By: abc
#2  by: PNM   

That makes no sense. I really want to go Greek but out of the 6 sororities they either feel too catty or too "TSM" or too awkward. I dont feel at home at any of them :/

By: PNM
by: ^^^^Aug 4, 2014 9:14:27 AM

Then you probably won't feel at home in the 7th sorority either. Get a life.

By: ^^^^
#3  by: .   

If you don't feel at home at any of them I'm pretty sure you wouldn't feel at home with a new sorority getting another 100+ girls

By: .
#4  by: anon   

Couldn't PHC just lower their quota? 100+ seems like too much girls to have a real sisterhood anyway

By: anon
by: noNov 30, 2017 5:02:44 PM

Quota is always based upon the number of preffed women during formal recruitment, and both numbers change yearly. Chapter Total is based on the comfort level of membership for all voting panhellenic chapters.

By: no
#5  by: TSM   

WE NEED MORE SORORITIES..

Maybe KKG, KATheta, or Pi Phi? They're pretty strong on the West Coast. We have too many fraternities at SJSU, and a bunch of them are irrelevant..

By: TSM
by: ^^^Jun 24, 2014 1:19:15 PM

So why do you want to have a bunch of sororities that are irrelevant?

By: ^^^
#6  by: extension   

Total was 92 last year and quota was ~35. There aren't enough girls rushing to warrant more sororities. Panhellenic extension is a very specific process

By: extension
by: extensionJun 8, 2014 12:22:17 PM

also, you don't want to lower total. That's a bad thing. And 100 girls is not even big for chapters. Most chapters have 160+ for total, and it works. The number of girls rushing needs to increase before extension will happen.

By: extension
by: seriously?Jun 8, 2014 4:53:08 PM

^you're joking right? 100 is big for our little commuter state school. 160+ is like at Alabama or USC.

By: seriously?
by: Really?Jun 25, 2014 3:35:08 PM

SEC schools have totals AT or OVER 400....look at Arkansas, Ole Miss and Alabama. Of course, they have the top national sororities on campus that can afford the investment. All have smaller enrollments than SJS.

By: Really?
by: more infoNov 21, 2014 6:13:56 PM

There was a study done a while ago that said that the ideal chapter size is around 100. Each campus has its own culture and expansion should be done at a time that seems right for that campus. Most or all groups should be making total and there should be a historical trend of increasing quota and total, which means more girls going through recruitment.

By: more info
#7  by: opinion   

Maybe there would be girls rushing if there were more sororities to choose from? I mean every sorority has its personality, reputation, look etc. and its kind of unfair to expect that many girls to fit into one of six sororities..

By: opinion
by: anonJun 9, 2014 7:13:31 PM

each sorority has a brand which would still affect your decision even if they didn't have a chapter at sjsu. anyways, you define your sorority- your sorority doesn't define you. would you not become friends with a group of people because they have different hair color than you? if you are looking for a bunch of girls exactly like you to join, I think you're not expanding your horizons enough.

By: anon
by: opinionJun 11, 2014 2:52:12 AM

Not quite. The whole "you define your sorority" thing sounds good on paper but if thats really how it is why is it that all the Aphi girls look the same? Or that DZ and KD attract the same kinds of girls? Each of the six houses only take certain kinds of girls, so the needs of some women who wish to go Greek are not met.

By: opinion
by: ^^^^Jun 24, 2014 1:18:32 PM

What are you talking about? Not all women in a house "look the same." Also, reputations of sororities differ from campus to campus. It is ridiculous to add another sorority at this point.

By: ^^^^
by: noJul 7, 2014 10:24:51 PM

that's not how it works. It's coincidence that girls look the same. Maybe you're just seeing what you want to see. PNMs are picked based on how well they mesh with the houses. If you can't find a home at one of the 6 sororities already here, it's likely the problem is you, not them. Sorry, but that's the truth.

by: noJul 7, 2014 10:29:31 PM

further, more sororities does not equal more girls rushing. That's how you end up with chapters that fail and collapse. Expansion is a very specific procedure and there's no need at this point.

#8  by: Really?   

LOL those are the ones you'd pick? Those two both suck ass!

By: Really?
by: ^Jun 29, 2014 12:32:43 PM

Well which ones would you pick?

By: ^
by: noJul 7, 2014 10:28:18 PM

Neither Alpha Gamma Delta nor Phi Sigma Sigma are strong national groups. Gamma Phi Beta, Delta Delta Delta and Kappa Kappa Gamma would probably be good to bring to campus because they have a decently strong presence in cali.

by: I agreeAug 4, 2014 4:02:43 AM

I agree with "no." Delta Delta Delta is very strong on the west coast especially

By: I agree
by: greekFeb 12, 2015 8:56:14 PM

AGD is the top chapter in the number of initiated members.
Tri Delt has the most active chapters and they are strong nationally.
ZTA would be a great addiction.

By: greek
#9  by: avg   

then create one lolol

By: avg
#10  by: greek   

If you don't feel at home on any of the 6 chapters then you will probably won't feel at home at any other chapter. Unless you are socially awkward and even so you should still find your group of girls in any chapter if greek life was really for you.

Greek life is not for everybody, if takes a huge commitment.

I go to school at IU, we have 22 chapters. We do bed quote so each chapter has around 100-130 girls and the percentage of a pmn getting a bid is ~40%. If your university really wanted to expand they would. IU has added 3 chapters in the last four years and Sigma Kappa will be added next spring.

By: greek

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.