facebook

we need more sororities

by: PNM

Why is it we have like 15 fraternities but only 6 Panhellenic sororities? I've always wanted to go Greek but I didn't feel at home at any of them. Why dont they bring on more sororites like Phi Sigma Sigma or Alpha Gamma Delta?

Posted By: PNM
Post Reply Report
Page 2 of 2
#11  by: eh   

I'd rather see good big name sororities here like Tri Delt, KKG and Pi Phi. I think strong national chapters is exactly what our school needs for greek life to have more of a presence here. People are more likely to rush if they have friends in a chapter on campus even if their friend is at another school.

By: eh
by: realityNov 26, 2017 2:16:25 PM

TriDelta really struggles out west. They are going off at University of Arizona and just went off at UCLA, because they struggle so much. Most California schools they are the lowest house. They would struggle here.

By: reality
#12  by: well   

go for it. try to add a chapter.

By: well
#13  by: greek alum   

San Jose State needs additional sororities. The current houses are too small for 100 members let alone 120. Former houses that closed in the late 60's and early 70's should be brought back to campus; e.g. Kappa Kappa Gamma and Kappa Alpha Theta. Chi Omega which closed in the 90's should also be brought back.
These sororities would give the diversity needed for women going through recruitment.

By: greek alum
by: ^Jun 17, 2015 3:21:12 PM

I didn't know that Chi Omega was her in the 90s. They should be brought back.

By: ^
#14  by: Spartan from the 80's   

Yes, Chi Omega was a pretty strong house in the early 80's and was the top academically.

By: Spartan from the 80's
#15  by: .   

You have to remember a campus will change status and stature over time. What originally brought an AXO, GPhi, Theta, KKG, Sigma Kappa, XO, Phi Mu or AEPhi chapter to our campus may not exist today.

Individual sorority criteria as to where and when they will re/colonize chapters changes, too.

In very rare cases a sorority will be permanently abolished from a campus.

That said, the decision to open for expansion has not been broached in nearly a decade. But the current trend nationwide is smaller incoming frosh classes that tend toward being less able to successfully juggle extracurricular university activities due to financials.

By: .
#16  by: Reality   

I go to school at Ucla where we have 11 Pan hel sororities. All except for AGD have just about if not over 200 members. Adding more sosoritiss to a school like sjsu isn’t good as they don’t have large chapters as is. Also tridelt just left because they struggled so much but agd isn’t that far off either

By: Reality
#17  by: Bump   

Bump. Major bump. We need more sororities here. There used to be double as many in the 60s/70s.

By: Bump
by: ChoicesMay 12, 2022 2:04:51 PM

An NPC sorority would have to CHOOSE to be here, and expansion is NOT a major concern for many of them at this time.

By: Choices
#18  by: my 2 cents   

All Sororities have houses, so a new sorority would have to buy / build a house in one of the most expensive real estate markets in the US.

By: my 2 cents
#19  by: Liz   

More sororities aren’t happening not for the near future. Greek Life here is on a major downturn with less and less students joining or choosing to remain active in Greek Life because of an unsupportive administration.

By: Liz
by: YepSep 5, 2020 6:01:46 PM

This. Greek life here has ZERO support from the school. Major downturn started in late 2018/early 2019. I would expect to see less sororities at sjsu in the coming years if anything.

By: Yep

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.