facebook

cob

by: MHJ

My daughter is a freshman at Auburn this year. She is from out of state so knew NOBODY there. She has been so looking forward to Auburn and joining a sorority for years and years. Our family has had NO legacy and knew very little about sorority life. My daughter is in the marching band also so when formal rush came she only had a chance to visit four sororities so very few got to meet her. She was " released" and did not get into a sorority in August. She is a very responsible, creative, and friendly girl who now feels like a reject. She soooo wants to join a sorority and with COB going on is there any way she can contact someone or possibly get into a sorority for this semester! She would be a wonderful addition to any sorority if only girls would get to know her! Help!

Posted By: MHJ
Post Reply Report
Page 2 of 3
#11  by: @ Hmmm   

Check if out? what does that concept mean? Never heard that one before. You are so transparent it is laughable. 70 % acceptance rate , not too swift. By the way, did you know that JFk was a terrible speller? Guess he did not go far.....Check it out.

By: @ Hmmm
#12  by: @ Hmmm   

Jane Austin, Ernest Hemmingway, William Faulkner, Alfred Masher Butts ( creator of scrabble) F Scott Fizgerald, W.B Yates, John Keats, Albert Enstein, Benjamin Franklin, Winstin Churchull Jane Austin,,,,, All terrible spellers. Guess it was not important to any of them and I don't think one of them went to Auburn. Oh, also Leonardo Da VInchi. It is apparent that you , alum went to Auburn as you are quite the simpleton. Do you even know who these bad spellers are? IMPORTANT PEOPLE that changed the world ALL BAD SPELLERS!

By: @ Hmmm
#13  by: SEC Alum   

Dear COB,
I am very sorry for offending you and hurting your feelings over the "excepting" comment. You are right -- it was rude of me and I should have ignored it. You are not one of my English/journalism students or readers, and this discussion is not the place for me to "grade" anyone. Again, I do apologize and hope you'll accept it. :) Also, I am not actually an Auburn alum -- I just communicate a lot with the Auburn chapter of my national sorority.

Regarding the person who commented that any idiot could get into Auburn: that really is not true. Auburn is also listed as one of the hardest schools in the nation to earn an "A" at.

By: SEC Alum
by: GuestJan 27, 2013 1:31:50 PM

Earning "A"s and admissions are two different things. Auburn is certainly no academic powerhouse.

By: Guest
#14  by: For the record...   

all the authors listed might have been bad spellers, but you never saw it in anything they published. Of course, I guess they had proofreaders and editors cleaning things up for them. Everyone needs to remember that bad grammar and spelling is a big pet peeve with a lot of people in the professional world. Resumes, cover letters and applications that have them can end up in the reject pile right off the bat. College professors aren't crazy about it, either, and I know a lot of them count off for it even when the subject isn't English.

Let it go. This discussion is getting derailed. The person who started it with questions about rush would probably like it if we got back on track.

By: For the record...
#15  by: MHJ   

WOW! Yes I am the original person who started this whole discussion. I just happened to click on this link on January 16th and mentioned a dilemma I had and wondered if anyone could help and ...Whew! I definitely guess this will be my first, last, and only time I will EVER get in a discussion group anywhere. I was just looking for some helpful suggestions so I would feel better (my daughter has NO idea I was at this site and she would be devastated if she knew I did!) Anyways...there has been of course, lots of discussion. I just want to mention that our family loves Auburn. The school has always been helpful,friendly, and kind. My daughter had an excellent academic 1st semester and I know with her diligence, hard work, and responsibility she will have a wonderful 2nd semester. Greek life has always been special to the men in our family with my husband being in a fraternity up north and our son in a fraternity years ago at Auburn. I have no knowledge of sorority life anywhere so that is why I wanted to ask for some help (our other two daughters never went the sorority route--but they did not go to Auburn). Anyways ---I just wondered about the open bidding this semester and I did not mean for a war to occur! I do want to share a few quotes that I would like for everyone to read and think about: 1. "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up.". 2. "Kindness has the power to change lives.".

By: MHJ
#16  by: MHJ   

Continued---
3. "let's stop and smell the flowers, open our eyes, and share these flowers with others."
As for my freshman daughter at Auburn, I am hoping and praying sorority life will be in her near future as that is what she truly wants! She is truly a special, caring, and wonderful young lady and is hoping to enjoy Greek Life that we heard so much about with the sororities at Auburn. I wish the best for everyone here and one more quote to conclude..."Coming together is a beginning, keeping together is progress, working together is success". God bless you all, have a wonderful 2013, and War Eagle!

By: MHJ
#17  by: @ COB Mom   

You seem like a wonderful and lovely person. Thank you for the quotes. You brought me to tears. Nobody deserves to be judged " There but for the grace of God go I" I hope that your daughter finds wonderful roads ahead in her life. It sounds like she has a really good Mother so no matter what happens she will be in a very good place. Thanks for keeping this in perspective. Good luck to your daughter.

By: @ COB Mom
#18  by: @ English Teacher   

Everyone in life is not an English teacher so trust me not everyone cares. Most bankers and financial analysts and real estate developers will never need to spell ANYTHING. Be true to yourself and if is important to you, great. It may not be that important to others. Spell Check is alive and well in 2013.

By: @ English Teacher
#19  by: Blsurhrt   

First, she needs to contact the Auburn Panhellenic office NOW. There are always a few sororities with spots to fill thanks to December graduations, transfers and drop outs. A few sororities - not all of them. (But all of Auburn's sororities are good, so no worries there). Panhellenic should take her name and contact info and distribute it to those groups. Now, some of those groups with spots to fill already know who they want, and may have already filled the spots. But some won't
Second, she should keep meeting sorority women and making friends, in the band, dorm, any other group she's involved in.
Third, she should get involved in a couple of other activities. That will give her something to do, and friends to work with.
Now...let's say she does not pledge a group this spring. Listen, all the groups have pledged quota for years, so it's possible that even losing a few members, they will still have no room.
She should sign up for fall recruitment 2013. Yes, sophomores get bids. Yes, band members get bids. Sophomores with good friends in sororities have a little bit of an edge, especially if they can't go to every party because of band practice.
And this summer, you and she need to work on those recommendations. Ask around among your friends. She could ask her high school teachers, mothers of friends etc. You know more sorority women than you realize. And contact the Atlanta Panhellenic Association (atlantapanhellenic.org).

By: Blsurhrt
#20  by: Blsurhrt   

Atlanta Panhellenic conducts a session called "Sorority 101" which explains recruitment to Potential New Members. They also collect info to distribute to member sororities to use in writing recommendations. It's geared toward incoming college freshmen, but upperclassmen candidates are also welcome.
Good luck!

By: Blsurhrt

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.