facebook

cob

by: MHJ

My daughter is a freshman at Auburn this year. She is from out of state so knew NOBODY there. She has been so looking forward to Auburn and joining a sorority for years and years. Our family has had NO legacy and knew very little about sorority life. My daughter is in the marching band also so when formal rush came she only had a chance to visit four sororities so very few got to meet her. She was " released" and did not get into a sorority in August. She is a very responsible, creative, and friendly girl who now feels like a reject. She soooo wants to join a sorority and with COB going on is there any way she can contact someone or possibly get into a sorority for this semester! She would be a wonderful addition to any sorority if only girls would get to know her! Help!

Posted By: MHJ
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 3
#1  by: Contact   

The Auburn Greek Life Office

By: Contact
by: MHJJan 16, 2013 5:01:02 PM

Our family loves Auburn! I hope and pray continuous bidding works for her! War Eagle!

By: MHJ
#2  by: @COB   

being from out of state how was your daughter excepted at Auburn in general? I hear that sometimes the southern schools are not that hospitable if you are not from the south. as to your question, I know that it is very important go to all of the sororities that you are invited back to. If you don't it looks bad and decreases your chance of getting in one.

By: @COB
by: MHJJan 16, 2013 8:57:08 PM

Auburn is a great school and the whole school has been very friendly, kind, and will help with any problem! Her 1st semester was great academically and she looks forward to a great year! War Eagle!

#3  by: haha   

any idiot can get into auburn

By: haha
by: FADJan 16, 2013 4:50:15 PM

That was not a kind thing to say!

By: FAD
by: GuestJan 23, 2013 1:59:21 PM

Yeah, but it's sadly true.

By: Guest
#4  by: Guessing   

the posts from #2 and #3 are not from anyone at Auburn. As for your daughter, talk to the Greek Life Office for sure. She should also try to meet some girls in sororities if she doesn't know any. Having someone she is acquainted with in a group can help introduce her to other girls and perhaps make some inroads. Being in the band is wonderful and if a sorority does not work out, I am sure she will make many friends in this organization. No one is assured of a bid even if they go to all the parties, so stay calm, she will meet friends and have fun even if she is not in a sorority.

By: Guessing
by: MHJJan 16, 2013 8:50:23 PM

Thanks so much! She has met a few girls who are in sororities so I am crossing my fingers and praying lots! She really would be a joy to have in a sorority as she is responsible, hard working, and dedicated! Thanks for the comments--you're great!

#5  by: AU Alum in GA   

Because Auburn has over 40% out of state students, it is VERY accepting of those not from in state. I have 2 sons there and they are amongst many, many out of staters -- both are in fraternities which include guys from all over, and they know many sorority girls from different states as well -- and not just from the south. Auburn is a very accepting, down home, friendly place, so people from out of state fit right in. The Auburn Family is Family. And we take great pride in "The Auburn Spirit" which you will 'get' once you get there. It is hard to explain, but it is real, and all people understand it -- and it's still with me 40 years later. My wife didn't go to AU, (went to another SEC school), but LOVES Auburn and cannot say enough great things about it -- and actively encourages and recruits kids we know to go there. Hope your daughter does join a sorority -- Greek Life at Auburn is great....and when I was there, many band members were Greek as well. She'll find the right place -- she just needs to be open to finding the right group -- I'll say a prayer that she does.
Good luck and War Eagle!

By: AU Alum in GA
by: MHJJan 17, 2013 6:15:53 AM

Thank you for the kind words of encouragement! My daughter really enjoys Auburn but would really like to get into a sorority. Our son also went to Auburn years ago and was in a fraternity so he definitely enjoyed Greek Life! She was and is so looking forward to it too! I too agree with the Auburn spirit--- there is nothing that compares to it! Thank you again! I will let you know what happens! Bless you and War Eagle!

by: Auburn SpiritJan 18, 2013 3:34:18 PM

Is right ... Auburn is just an incredibly special place. MHJ, understand that even if your daughter doesn't find a home in a sorority, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Greek life at Auburn is strong and good, reeks don't dominate social life, student government, honor societies, etc. the way they do at some other SEC schools. Nobody is going to make your daughter feel "less than" if she remains independent.

By: Auburn Spirit
#6  by: True Spirit!   

Comments #4 and #5 are such nice postings! What they have both said is true about anyone going through rush at Auburn. Good luck to her! Hope she finds what she wants and her college life is all that she wishes for it to be. War Eagle!

By: True Spirit!
by: MHJJan 17, 2013 7:56:20 AM

Thanks so much! You have really brightened my day! War Eagle!

#7  by: SECAlum   

I know a lot of out-of-state students who were "excepted" at Auburn. Of course, they all knew how to spell and understood the proper meaning of words.

I am a sorority alum and do a lot of recommendations for young women taking part in Auburn recruitment. It's a competitive recruitment and keeping an open mind is very important -- but it sounds as though your daughter is approaching it with that attitude.

Did your daughter have recommendations prior to rushing in the fall? They have become critical to making it past early round parties in the SEC.

By: SECAlum
#8  by: @ Secalum   

Sorry Alum that was a typo. The fact that you wrote that disparaging post about spelling tells me more about the Auburn and there alums more than anything. I heard they were not kind to kids from out of state. It looks to me that they can be down right mean even if a person makes a typo. By the way the person that said that any idiot can get into Auburn was not nice but lets face it , it is not an academically challenging school. Looks like it very mean spirited as well! Pretty sad if even adults are acting like they are in 6th grade. Shame on You Auburn Alum!

By: @ Secalum
#9  by: @@ Secalum   

Oh look at all the misspellings. time to apply to Auburn. I'm sure that you will get in.

By: @@ Secalum
#10  by: Hmmm?   

If you check, Auburn has a higher GPA requirement than most SEC schools and once they reach what they allow, they cut off acceptance. They are also rated as a top college in all the academic ratings and I believe they had one of the highest number of scholars this past year. Undoubtedly the negative poster(s) is from another college and feels the need to downgrade schools and groups. By the way, knowing HOW to spell is important, so I must wonder if they attend any college and is so...where? Now, THAT would be interesting to know. As for the post about the alum being mean, perhaps the poster cannot also understand concepts or words and misunderstands what is being said. (Also listed as one of the top schools where people get jobs once they graduate...check if out).

By: Hmmm?
by: GuestJan 23, 2013 2:01:53 PM

Probably should check your facts. I've never known anyone denied admission to Auburn.

By: Guest
by: Really?Jan 23, 2013 4:42:08 PM

Then you probably know little about Auburn or the academics.

By: Really?

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.