facebook

formal recruitment

by: OSU #1

Now that COR is almost over, please post your FR questions here.

Posted By: OSU #1
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: rec letters   

So I am a sophomore and a transfer student. Are getting involved and am going to try to get the best grades I can, but I'm worried about the rec letter things. I know they help a lot especially if you're not a freshman. But I've asked around and really can not find any alumni that were in any of osu's chapters since no one in my family has gone greek or teachers that I can think of from high school or coaches. Is it going to hurt my chances without having them if I believe I can meet all the other credentials?

By: rec letters
by: for startersSep 10, 2013 3:38:51 PM

they dont have to have gone to OSU, just helps a little more, and then they do have to be an alumnae of the chapter. Like you can't have your aunt who was a DG at Clemson write you a letter for Kappa here, but she can write you one for DG here!

By: for starters
#2  by: ^^   

^ yes I knew that! Thanks though, thats why I asked though was because I really can't find anyone at all even who didn't go to osu since I'm hoping to be the first in my family and don't have any teachers/coaches that were in one.

By: ^^
#3  by: Try   

asking your mom's friends, people from church, your friends' moms, your siblings' friends' moms...surely out of those groups you will find some Greek women. You can also check to see if there are any Greek alumni organizations in your area (like XYZ alumni association of the Greater Insert Your Area Here).

Recs are not mandatory, but they do help put you in front of the sorority membership chairs/committees, and might help you stand out if you have good recs.

By: Try
#4  by: Recs   

I was surprised when I asked my one of my high school teachers if she was in a sorority. While she wasn't, she said her sister was and several of her friends. She gave me their phone numbers and I went from there. I also asked some of my summer coworkers, and they put me in touch with some of their friends. Where did you transfer from? Did you have friends there in a sorority?

By: Recs
#5  by: FR Recs   

Look, if you can't find anyone to write you a rec, you either aren't trying hard enough or you don't know how to use Google. You are in college now...think!

I don't know where you are from but let's say you are from Montana. Google "Alpha Beta Gamma" Montana. Get to that website, contact whomever is listed.

I'm Rachel Rushee,I go to OSU and I'm going through recruitment in January . I attended Small Town High School in Nowhere, Montana and I was wondering if you had an alum in Nowhere that I could contact about obtaining a rec for Alpha Beta Gamma. Attached are my resume and photo. If you could either pass on my information or or provide a phone number/email address where I could contact the ABG Alum for an interview, I would be forever greatful.

Your second option is to go onto the NPC website and email them about panhellenic organizations near Nowhere.

By: FR Recs
#6  by: advice   

Awesome advice, thanks guys. Also I remember reading somewhere on here that someone said they aren't a written letter but a form to give to the person to fill out that varies by chapter. How are we supposed to get that form in order to send to them to fill out?

By: advice
by: AlumsSep 11, 2013 7:52:26 PM

Alums know how to get the rec form from their sorority. You just need the resume and photo.

By: Alums
#7  by: ^^   

So we basically just make a resume of all our activities past and present, photo, and send it to them?

By: ^^
by: sighSep 11, 2013 10:00:43 PM

You really need to learn how to use Google

greeks.lsu.edu/sites/greeks.lsu.edu/files/attachments/PHC %20Sample%20Resume.pdf

sororitygirl101.com/2013/01/12/time-for-a-little-rr-recs- and-resumes-part-1/

acadianasororities.com/how-we-can-help/sample-resume/

By: sigh
#8  by: Advice   

Would anyone be able to give any advice to PNM's who are planning on going through formal? I've got the general idea of get a good gpa, get involved, don't bad mouth chapter, that recs help, keep an open mind of all chapters, don't talk parties or boys, etc.

But is there anything anyone wants to say that could help us PNMs? Kind of like what to talk about and what not. Is it recommended to ask the sister questions as well or just keep talking about ourselves while in a chapter party? What are chapters looking for to make a pnm stand out? What acting/talking ideas are appropriate? Is it better to act overly excited to be there (to show how interested you are) or to act natural and may come off seeming uniterested?

By: Advice
#9  by: So many questions   

I am a 2nd year and am interested in going through formal recruitment in January. What is the entire recruitment process like? I have basic knowledge of each round but could someone give more details? Like how pnms and sororities narrow down the list of who gets to go back for the second and third rounds, what bid day is like exactly, what happens if you don't get a bid and especially how likely is it for a sophomore to get a bid at osu? Thanks in advance!

By: So many questions
#10  by: Formal   

Round 1 - Meet the chapters: All girls go to all 15 chapters for 25 minutes each over a 2-day period. You must go to all 15.
After this round, you will group rank your top 10 favorites as "1" and rank 11, 12, 13 and 14 as "2", "3", "4" and "5". You will not rank Gamma Phi Beta because they will not participate in any other formal rounds

Before Round 2, you will get your invitations back. There will be a maximum of 10. If everyone invites you back, you will get all of your "1" votes. If chapters in your top 10 don't invite you back, you will go to 2, 3, 4 and 5 (in that order) until you reach a maximum of 10 chapters. Some girls will not get a full schedule. It happens and the sun will still rise tomorrow.

Round 2 - Philanthropy Round: You will get your invite list, of up to 10 hours. You must attend all of your invites and NOT skip a house because you don't like it. Doing so could disqualify you from getting a bid.
Each of your up to 10 parties will be 30 minutes long. After you finish this round, you will rank your top 6 favorites as "1" with the others ranked 2, 3, 4, 5 in the order you prefer them.

By: Formal

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.