facebook

bid question?

by: curious

I came across an article from The Lantern about last year's formal recruitment. I couldn't help but notice that it says that over 1,100 girls participated in recruitment and then said that about 600 or so ended up pledging. Does this mean that about 500 girls really didn't get bids? I understand girls drop out and don't finish recruitment to the end.. but 500 girls seems like a lot to be just drop outs. This confuses me because at the involvement fair I brought this up to some of the sister's I talked to at different booths and they said it's pretty rare that girls don't get bid. Could someone explain this to me? Much appreciated!

Posted By: curious
Post Reply Report
Page 2 of 2
#11  by: Good info   

Well written, Recs. My sister went to an SEC school with a quota this year of 117. You had to have recs. As to OSU, our sorority does indeed look at recs. Are they required? No. Might that spark an interest in you if it is a well written rec by someone who knows you? Definitely. And isn't that what you want? To stand out from the other 1000 PNMs? Because no matter where you rush, you are being compared to all the other girls who are rushing. There definitely are very well put together, smart, pretty, involved girls going through rush here.

By: Good info
#12  by: here's the thing   

during formal you only get cut from a few houses at a time... during informal if you missed an open house, or don't have an impressive gpa and know someone in it, you won't get COBed because theyll have plenty of girls to fill the spots, so deff get rec letters during informal to put yourself ahead. You can do that during formal too but because youre forced to talk to everyone atleast once, you'll atleast have one score

By: here's the thing
#13  by: :)   

Okay so for the Recs, say for formal. You need one for each chapter from an alumni from each of the chapters. This is what I got out of it so far, correct? If you know girls that are active members at another school can they write one? Or does it have to be an alum?

Also for the actual letter: Is it just a written page of why the girl would be good? Or is it more like a resume of activities you've done in high school? or both?

Any information will be useful and much appreciated

By: :)
#14  by: letters   

"Letter" is actually a standard form that each sorority develops. They are all different but contain the same basic fields to fill out. It's not a written letter.

If you have a resume, give it to the person writing the rec to attach. It's helpful. Also, have a head and shoulders picture to attach.

Some sororities allow actives to write them and some don't. Some that allow an active to write one, don't allow them to write one for a girl going through at their university. Every sorority is different.

By: letters
#15  by: :)   

Thank you 'letters' ! So if each chapter has their own standard form, how do we get them in order to fill them out?

by: lettersSep 5, 2013 5:39:33 PM

You don't fill out the form. The active or alum does. Have your resume and photo ready when you contact them.

By: letters
by: :)Sep 5, 2013 5:44:43 PM

No I mean how do we even get those forms to give to the people to fill out?

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.