facebook

informal gpa?

by: question

I know the GPA requirement to participate in formal rush next semester is a 2.5 minimum, does that count for informal rush as well? Or can you do informal rush with lower than that, even by a little, if it matters at all?

Posted By: question
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: yup   

Not to bum you out, but some sororities have higher GPA requirements than the panhel minimum, so you may face cuts just based on GPA if you are hovering around a 2.5. So work hard non your studies and get that GPA up as high as you can. Good luck!

By: yup
#2  by: !   

Thank you! Also I'm a sophomore transfer so does that mean my gpa from last year at a different school will count towards that "cumulative" or does it start over this semester with just OSU's grades?

By: !
#3  by: transfer   

Your credits from another school wont count towards your OSU GPA (what chapters will be looking at), but the theres a chance they could request it if thats something they are very concerned with.

By: transfer
#4  by: thanks!   

Thanks everyone for the help! By any chance does anyone know the chapters gpa requirements? Not all the chapter websites have them posted. I'm pretty sure Pi Phi is 2.8 and KD is 2.7 but that's all I could find

By: thanks!
#5  by: UrbanFan   

Regardless of what the chapters post as their minimum GPA, if you are near the cut-off, chapters consider you a grade risk. Sure girls will get bids with under a 3.0, but most competitive chapters might cut you. Remember, there are a lot of qualified women at TOSU that are cute, have a great personality, have lots of friends in the chapter and are involved. When they rank you, all things being equal, someone with a 2.8 will be lower on the list than someone with a 3.8. And, with RFM, you might be cut early from chapters that historically have a high return rate.

By: UrbanFan
#6  by: waithwhat?   

is it hard to get a bid with a competitive/top house is you're a sophomore and also don't know anyone in the house?

By: waithwhat?
#7  by: 12345   

Depends on what you have to offer. 4.0 college GPA, SGAPres, Beauty Queen and an impeccable personality? I would say probably.

By: 12345
#8  by: GoodGPA   

You need pretty good grades to get a bid to most houses and less than a 2.5 is not good. We want girls with good personalities who are cute, uber involved and have good grades. Sometimes we take sophs and juniors but we are typically focused on first year.
Take a look at chapter GPAs for spring to see what you are up against:
1 Kappa Alpha Theta 3.47
2 Chi Omega 3.42
3 Alpha Gamma Delta 3.36
4 Pi Beta Phi 3.34
5 Alpha Chi Omega 3.32
6 Alpha Epsilon Phi 3.32
8 Delta Delta Delta 3.31
9 Kappa Delta 3.29
10 Alpha Phi 3.28
11 Alpha Xi Delta 3.25
12 Kappa Kappa Gamma 3.25
13 Delta Gamma 3.19
14 Delta Zeta 3.12
15 Alpha Omicron Pi 3.06

By: GoodGPA
by: sophSep 2, 2013 5:04:04 PM

If you are a sophomore and have a pretty high Gpa and are involved is it a pretty good shot? Even with the chance of not knowing girls in the house?

By: soph
by: sometimesSep 3, 2013 10:16:34 AM

it depends on the chapter. The very top of the "top tier" wont look at you bc to them your a years worth of dues lost. Some of the bottom may, but some sororities arent extremely in love with girls who are involved with other things bc they wont contribute to the sisterhood as much. It really depends how you sell yourself, If you're really involved, have decent/good grades look at DDD this fall, theyre normally higher in the grade break down than last semester, and theyre recruiting a lot of girls bc a ton of the graduated early

By: sometimes
by: uhhhhSep 3, 2013 10:46:31 AM

To "sometimes": I definitely think that's incorrect. There are at least a few sophomores in almost every pledge class. Even in the "top tier" houses. Not only the "bottom" sororities will take sophomores. You can't honestly say there are only 100% freshman in the top "tier" pledge classes. Especially is the sophomore is a transfer. I'm pretty sure if they like you, you have a good personality, have the "look"they want (as much as I hate to say that) and have good grades and are decently involved you're pretty good. Anyone else agree?

By: uhhhh
by: re: uhhhSep 3, 2013 5:16:04 PM

im with "sometimes" she said that the girl can, and I agree with what she said. There are sophomores in every house, its just a bit harder. The loss of a year with us comes up during my chapters discussion on a girl, so it can affect you.

By: re: uhhh
by: hmmSep 3, 2013 8:50:53 PM

Okay, still I'm not convinced that "top house" won't even look at a sophomore girl. Especially if she has a high gpa, involved, great personality, possibly knows people and has great rec's. My previous university was much much more competitive for recruitment, and even there almost every house took a good number of sophomores

By: hmm
#9  by: .....   

so does that mean that it's super hard to get a bid as a sophomore or....?
I mean i've heard it's not crazy more difficult to get a bid as a soph than a freshman, especially if a transfer. I'm sorry it's just something I'm worried about. I would do informal but I would rather get to see all the houses. But if you have a high Gpa and are involved is it a pretty good shot?

By: .....
by: Coo CooSep 2, 2013 2:59:16 PM

Coo Coo, Coo Coo.

By: Coo Coo
#10  by: cbusgrl   

I'm sort of in the same boat as you...OSU isn't as competitive as SEC schools, so if you have high grades and are involved, interview well...we should be fine I'm thinkin :)

By: cbusgrl

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.