facebook

being in a sorority as a music performance major?

by: MusicGirl

I'm a senior in high school right now and I would really like to rush a sorority, but I'm planning on majoring in music performance. At a lot of schools, it isn't possible because of the conflicting time commitments. Are there any music performance majors in greek life at Carnegie Mellon? I would really like to participate, but not if I would have to sacrifice my major.

Posted By: MusicGirl
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: hi   

I'm in a fraternity and there are a bunch of musical performance majors. They seem to be doing fine.

By: hi
#2  by: Voice major   

Hi :) I'm a vocal performance major and I'm part of Greek life, as are so many other voice majors and other music performance majors. Greek life is really what you make of it so you can be involved as much or as little as possible. It's definitely a commitment, but you'll be able to balance it with your major, no sweat.

By: Voice major
#3  by: what?   

greek life at cmu is not worth sacrificing your major

By: what?
#4  by: Depends   

Honestly it depends. There are maybe three instrumental music majors in Greek life. Tons of voice majors, not many instrumental. It also depends on your studio teacher for instrumental music majors, some studio teachers will be vehemently against it and ridicule you for being Greek (so you have to hide it) and others don't.

But being Greek and an instrumental music major is an amazing experience because instrumental majors rarely get out of the School of Music bubble (or building, for that matter) and is a great support system.

By: Depends

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.