facebook

need some advice please

by: to drop or not?

Okay so I'm posting here because I don't really have anyone I can talk about this with. I rushed last year and joined a sorority that I really loved at first but now I'm not sure how I feel.

I'm realizing that I bought into all the ranks/reputation and when I first joined, I felt like the luckiest girl in the world. But now I feel so lost because the show that we put on during rush, doesn't reflect our chapter at all. There is so much meanness and pettiness. The younger girls are scared of the older girls. My pledge class is full of cliques and no one really talks outside their groups.

My first semester, I was a little uncomfortable and didnt find a group right away, but I thought I was fine. I did make some friends in my pledge class, though. Then, spring and summer semester I had to go back home for personal reasons and was not on campus much. When I came back this fall, my friends from my pledge class had formed their own exclusive group and girls treated me different or just ignored me.

I can see the exact same thing happening with our new pledge class. I feel like a stranger when I go to our house for meals. I want so bad to like my chapter again but I'm starting to feel like this is hopeless.

I really don't want to drop but I'm considering it. The thing is, I still have 3 years left at GT and I dont know what else I would do because I wanted to be in a sorority so bad. I guess I would just like some advice on what to do please.

Posted By: to drop or not?
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Feel for you   

Sorry to hear about this, but I suggest you keep trying. It is still early in the semester and there are chances for you to make connections again in your chapter. Get in there and be proactive - go to all the events, volunteer for a committee or to help out another officer with her job, make an effort to reach out to a sister who may be taking the same class with you and see if she wants to grab a coffee or study. The thing that will bring you closer to people is shared experiences, not just chit chat, so look for those opportunities. Go to games and block with a fraternity and also join another campus organization to meet friends outside of your sorority so you won't feel so isolated at your own house (yes, you can make great friends with girls in other sororities and GDI's too.) The tier reputation is harmful because it prevents girls from following their instincts, but all is not lost. You can make it work but you have to do most of the work; the chapter is too large to babysit each member. Good luck.

By: Feel for you
by: OPAug 28, 2016 4:12:02 PM

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply, I will definitely try all these suggestions this semester. I've joined a couple of committees already and am trying to throw myself into all of our events/philanthropy this semester, so I'm hoping these things will all help

By: OP
#2  by: Concerned mom   

I used to think that 6th, 7th & 8th grade girls were the meanest creatures on the planet until I read your post. No sorority should make you feel what you described in your message, & no sorority should expect you or your parents to pay for the privilege of feeling this way. I would expect this kind of behavior from insecure middle school girls, not from highly intelligent young women at one of the most elite universities in the world.

Every sorority experiences occasional conflict, & not all of its members will be best friends. What you have described, however, is not a momentary problem. It is a serious lack of character & maturity in your sorority from the exec board on down. You should NOT pay for membership in any organization that permits or fosters an environment of intimidation for young women or that socially ostracizes its unwanted members & forces them to sit alone at meals. No young woman should expect to endure this kind of abuse when joining a sorority. Please share your experience with your parents & ask them for their help in withdrawing you from your chapter immediately.

It is understandable that you were excited to be invited into a house filled with beautiful girls. Unfortunately, many posts on this website clearly indicate that sororities which focus ONLY on the beauty of prospective members often lack the substantive character needed to foster strong friendships & loyalty in the house. I wish you only the best in building new friendships elsewhere.

By: Concerned mom
#3  by: OP   

Thanks everyone for the responses! To the concerned mom, I really do appreciate your concern but I do still want to give my sorority a chance despite the negatives I am feeling right now.

And to the other poster, thanks for the encouragement!

By: OP

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.