facebook

body styles

by: nervous

I'm a larger girl about a size 16/18 and not real tall. I've always been really active and have always had a lot of friends. I'm not really an "awkward " person at all. Was a student body officer in high school and relatively "popular" I really want to go through rush and even know some women in sororities at other colleges. My sister is in one at another college. But I'm really nervous to register. Like everyone, rejection can hurt. If a sorority drops me because they don't like me, I can deal with that (I know that we don't all jive). But if people are going to drop me with out even getting to know me, or if I'm going to bring down the group in the eyes of fraternities, then I don't want to join. I'm really torn right now. I want to try, because a feel like I could really grow from the sorority experience, and I feel I have a lot to offer. But I don't want to set myself up for mean girl stuff. Any kind and compassionate suggestions in the next 24 hours would be wonderful.

Posted By: nervous
Post Reply Report
Page 2 of 2
#11  by: they are everywhere   

All the sororities and organizations have larger women in their groups. They just hide them in photos and websites. Corporations do the same thing. You will be fine. Just be confident.

By: they are everywhere
by: that saidDec 31, 2013 5:07:14 PM

that said, there are some fraternities to avoid. You will figure it out soon enough if you haven't already figured it out. Sadly we have some shallow puddles in our greek system.

By: that said
#12  by: WOS   

Women of Size are in every sorority. Recruitment may be a little more difficult as that each group kinda keeps their women of size at about 10 - 20 % of chapter total, they tend to try to not go higher, but every chapter has them.

By: WOS
#13  by: trust me   

All the houses have a percentage of Large and in Charge women. I'm not sure the exact percentage but it is enough. Columbia greek system isn't about "face girls." The system is about all the things you mentioned. You will be fine. Don't apologize for your size or who you are. At Columbia most of us embrace diversity. Welcome to the Greek System!

By: trust me
#14  by: fashion Police   

just wear black. Nobody will notice.

By: fashion Police
#15  by: Rock it   

Rock it big girl.

By: Rock it
#16  by: bob'sbigboy   

A lot of guys like our girls nice and round. Why are you assuming that all people think the same? I'm in a "top-tier" fraternity with a great internship and I can't stand corporate looking women.

By: bob'sbigboy
#17  by: Sir mix a lot   

Don't worry. Be happy.

By: Sir mix a lot
#18  by: go for it   

it's all about how you feel about them. not how they feel about you.

By: go for it
#19  by: hidden gems   

and yes every sorority has women of size. sadly all the sororities hide them for website photos. Maybe we can change that.

By: hidden gems
#20  by: Advice   

Check the exec pages on their websites! all of the sororities have at least 1 girl bigger than a size 6 on their e-board and those are the women chosen to represent them!

blogs (dot) cuit (dot) columbia (dot) edu/panhel/

By: Advice

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.