facebook

body styles

by: nervous

I'm a larger girl about a size 16/18 and not real tall. I've always been really active and have always had a lot of friends. I'm not really an "awkward " person at all. Was a student body officer in high school and relatively "popular" I really want to go through rush and even know some women in sororities at other colleges. My sister is in one at another college. But I'm really nervous to register. Like everyone, rejection can hurt. If a sorority drops me because they don't like me, I can deal with that (I know that we don't all jive). But if people are going to drop me with out even getting to know me, or if I'm going to bring down the group in the eyes of fraternities, then I don't want to join. I'm really torn right now. I want to try, because a feel like I could really grow from the sorority experience, and I feel I have a lot to offer. But I don't want to set myself up for mean girl stuff. Any kind and compassionate suggestions in the next 24 hours would be wonderful.

Posted By: nervous
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: nervous   

Oh...I looked at each sororities webpage, and I don't really see any women that look like me in terms of size. ....I guess that is why I'm nervous.

By: nervous
by: BigisBeautifulDec 31, 2013 12:15:05 PM

You didn't see body diversity on the websites, because groups and even individuals choose to hide body diversity - sad. But the body diversity is there in most sororities. You will find your niche.

By: BigisBeautiful
#2  by: Register!!   

Please do register! You seem like a GREAT fit for any of the sororities, by what you're saying. Even if you can't tell from a little headshot, all 5 have girls of all sizes, and it really comes down to personality. If you're open-minded and outgoing, you'll have a great time :)

By: Register!!
#3  by: body positive   

exactly what Register!! said. We take girls of all shapes and sizes. Don't be worried! It's totally about personal fit. Hope to meet you in recruitment :)

By: body positive
#4  by: nervous   

Thanks for the positive feedback. I'm thinking I will register. Going to sleep on it. It just made me nervous when I looked at the websites and didn't see anyone that "looked like" me. But....nothing ventured nothing gained. Hope this doesn't turn out to be a Carrie moment.

By: nervous
#5  by: body images   

You know, I really hope that sororities don't engage in body shaming. There might be a few individuals who do, and a few fraternity members, but it isn't our values. Hope to see you during recruitment.Panhellenic really does want diversity and that comes in all shapes and sizes. Good Luck.

By: body images
#6  by: rt   

Come into recruitment open-minded about the sororities and they will return the courtesy. If you feel uncomfortable after philanthropy day (the first day) you can always drop out.

By: rt
by: BigisBeautifulDec 31, 2013 12:13:13 PM

You will figure out real quickly which sororities aren't for you. If you don't see any body diversity in a sorority then you should drop them. Not a place you want to be. Be true to you. Being Big is part of who you are. It isn't all of who you are, but it is part. You will find your place at Columbia. I agree about avoided one fraternity in particular - it isn't a body positive/diverse friendly group of men. Good Luck!

By: BigisBeautiful
#7  by: size 10/12   

I was a size 10/12 in college. I'm not going to lie. The Greek System wasn't always the most comfortable place for me. There was a lot of body shaming. Mostly people doing it to themselves, and sometimes others. Even though it wasn't usually done directly to me (there was one fraternity that I steered clear of), it was uncomfortable to know that my body was my sisters' worst nightmare. That said, I've been out of college for almost a year. I'm hoping that things have really changed. Also, despite the discomfort, I'm glad I was in a sorority. The positive did outweigh the negative. Wishing you luck.

By: size 10/12
#8  by: truth   

The reality is that one or two sororities probably will discriminate against you - yes. I said it. But do you really want them anyway? If you are joining a sorority for growth, school spirit, sisterhood, leadership, academics, philanthropy, civic mindedness etc, you will find a sorority for you. If you are joining for the social mixers with fraternities, then you might not feel comfortable. Good Luck!

By: truth
#9  by: welcome   

we defiantly want all shapes and sizes in our Greek System.

By: welcome
#10  by: --   

You sound like a great girl. You will end up in AXO. The others won't even give you a chance (except maybe AOII).

By: --
by: ActuallyDec 31, 2013 3:46:57 PM

I heard that axo is not accepting overweight girls this year because of their image overhaul. Sad but true :/

SDT and AOII will definitely give you a full-hearted try though, they tend to be much more compassionate girls. Not shallow.

By: Actually
by: disagreeDec 31, 2013 6:36:11 PM

I think all the sororities will give you a chance. Have an open mind. Sororities at Columbia are not about bikini pictures. They are about personal growth, leadership and sisterhood- for real.

By: disagree

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.