facebook

xoxo, chi o

by: Repost

A comment posted from July 2012 on the Chi Omega Discussion page:

Not trying to use scare tactics like the person below, but a current XO did tell a close friend right after her initiation that she was made to lie down in a coffin like box and was carried around the room during a ritual song. She was so overwhelmed by it she had to tell someone, so naturally everyone knows now. She said she wanted to say something about being uncomfortable, but then she wouldn't have been initiated and everyone else looked scared but not enough to speak up and risk not becoming a sister. There are SO many XO's nationally that enough have slipped up or not wanted to participate in their crazy ritual.

Posted By: Repost
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: wow   

I don't know if this is true or not, but regardless it's none of our business. Rituals are sacred to each sorority. How would you like it if your sorority's ritual secrets were on display? NPC would not allow any sororities to have unsafe or unethical initiation practices, and that's all we need to know.

By: wow
#2  by: Lol   

This is a well known thing. They lay down in a box acting as a casket to be re-born as a Chi Omega. I don't think it's that bad. The chapter in my hometown (I'm from a college town in TN) is notorious for using a broken tanning bed in the basement as the casket. They're a joke there.

By: Lol
#3  by: MSU    

I have a very STRONG feeling this is exactly what the "nervous PMN" was wanting to be posted ... I was honestly waiting to see it once no one gave the response she wanted on her other post.

Fact is no one know except initiated Chi O's and using it as a scare tactic before rush is desparate.

By: MSU
by: @MSUJul 23, 2014 6:40:52 PM

I don't agree with someone posting this, but I think you're reaching a BIT far trying to make it sound like someone or a PNM or something is out to get Chi O.

By: @MSU
#4  by: Who cares?   

Hey everybody, let's play "Who's pathetic and catty enough to make such a post?!!

It's a fact that Chi O was very dominate last year having the highest GPA, winning everything with a crown, winning Derby Day and having the most members in almost every campus organization, BUT this type of post is not how we other sororities get top girls! I pray you are not a member of my sorority because we plan on winning girls over during recruitment without using lies and scare tactics! We build our house up with tearing others down. I feel sorry for you and your sorority.

I have my guess as to which group would go to such pathetic measures ... give me your guesses first!!

By: Who cares?
by: Ugh seriously?Jul 23, 2014 6:44:11 PM

Asking people to GUESS on an anonymous site what sorority would do this is just as pathetic if not worse than the original post! I hope YOU'RE not in MY sorority because we wouldn't condone posting this OR bringing in any other group!

By: Ugh seriously?
#5  by: Please   

This feed needs to stop! Guessing would only cause more
Bashing. Chi o is a great group of girls and this needs to be the last comment on here.

By: Please
#6  by: No   

This stupid rumor has been around forever according to my mom and aunt, who were Chi O's 25 or so years ago. Absolutely not true!

By: No
#7  by: Sort of   

I have an older cousin who was a Chi O at a different school and I asked her about this before I rushed. She wanted to calm me down so she told me that the original initiation included the coffin and you were carried in it then "reborn." She said that over time that became a bit too weird for modern day women to wan to do, so they tweeked it and now each chapter is a little different. Some chapters just have a box that's not a coffin to symbolize the death, some just have you close your eyes and cross your arms right where you are, etc. She has no idea about the one here though because she didn't go here. And she wouldn't give me anymore details than that since I hadn't rushed yet and she hasn't mentioned it since I didn't pledge Chi O. But just to put this rumor to rest, I don't believe any Chi O chapter makes you get in a coffin anymore.

By: Sort of
#8  by: And ...    

why does anyone care? Everyone needs to focus on their own sororiies' ritual. All rituals were designed as a guide for living your life as a woman of character and integrity. Most are based on Scripture and provide guidance for daily life. Perhaps if we all remembered our chapters' ritual then we wouldn't feel the need to post certain comments in the first place. Really, there was no reason for the original post than to scare PNM. Live your ritual people!

By: And ...
#9  by: Uh, I care.    

I would feel cheated if I pledged Chi O and went into initiation all excited and then was asked to "die" to be reborn in Chi O. For a sorority that relies so heavily on scripture and religion during rush, that seems very opposite of what is expected or acceptable. Strong christian girls that pledge Chi O have died and been reborn in Christ, and Christ alone. Asking Chi O to rebirth you again seems sacrilegious to me. I know this isn't the intent, I'm saying I would NOT be comfortable being reborn into anything other than God's love and forgiveness. New member's pledge with the security of no hazing and being loved in their sororities, and to me this violates some of that security. I know it's not be place since I'm not a Chi O and that if anything horrid occurred it would not continue for so many years but thats how I feel about using religious analogies to that extent in ritual. I think anyone about to pledge ANY sorority should know what they're getting into before hand. If this doesn't bother another girl like it does me then thats fine, she should pledge. But she should know she is expected to "die" to her former self and be "reborn" into Chi O.

By: Uh, I care.
by: Give it upJul 24, 2014 9:53:29 PM

You are doing nothing but trying to scare PNMs. You can twist it any way you want but the bottom line is you are using this accusation to scare them. Very, very sad and desparate.

By: Give it up
#10  by: Duh?   

Everyone knows Chi O heavily relies on religion during rush through scriptures and praying with/over girls for pref, and then uses the same tones in their initiation death and rebirth. Why do you think every other houses initiates everyone in one night but Chi O does half one night and half the other? Takes a long time to lay down, die, and be reborn. This isn't new news.

By: Duh?

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.