facebook

grades

by: suzie

I have not-so-great grades. Can I still get into a sorority?

Posted By: suzie
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: @grades   

MSU has guaranteed placement in recruitment. You will get in a sorority, but the top houses could drop you early if you do not meet their grade requirements. However, some sororities make exceptions for girls that they really want. I know a girl that got in a top house with a 2.0GPA.. but they really wanted her.

By: @grades
by: @@gradesJul 25, 2013 2:39:23 PM

MSU does NOT have guaranteed placement. Girls are released every year for various reasons. The above is right, top houses probably won't take grade risks unless your best friend is already in the sorority. But DO NOT think you will for sure get a bid because there are plenty that don't.

By: @@grades
by: @@@gradesJul 29, 2013 10:56:10 AM

Yeah girls get released because they suicide and cut every sorority possible except the one they are dying for. If you stay level-headed and don't drop "bottom tier" then yes, you WILL get put in a house. It just might not be the one you hoped for.

If you drop everybody and only have Chi O left, and Chi O drops you then yea, you're going home. There are sororities that don't drop anybody.. hence guaranteed placement.

By: @@@grades
by: @@@@gradesJul 29, 2013 12:39:58 PM

There are actually girls that get released from recruitment all together. If you "maximize your options" its far less likely, especially since we have 1 relatively new chapter and 1 brand new chapter trying to make quotas. But there are girls released every year, so to say you are guaranteed anything is wrong. I believe if you Pref 2 houses you are guaranteed a bid to one of them, but if you Pref 1 house you aren't guaranteed anything.

By: @@@@grades
#2  by: See   

Grades are the first thing sororities look at when making cuts. If you're below about a 3.2 expect some cuts. If you have other great things going for you, I'm sure you'll be fine and find a home somewhere. If you don't have stellar involvement, connections, or personality to make up for the grades, you might not have a great rush. Just be calm and be open minded and present your best characteristics!

By: See
#3  by: Brutally Honest   

Don't expect to be invited back to Chi O, DG, and KD unless your best friend is one and majorly pulling for you. Depending on exactly how bad your grades are and how strong your other areas are to make up for the grades, expect some cuts from other houses too. Just being honest though if you aren't THE best girl from your school who happens to have crap grades, don't expect to go top tier.

By: Brutally Honest
by: IdkMay 4, 2014 10:30:21 PM

What if your a triple legacy for DG and have a 2.9? ( plus lots of clubs and varsity sports and volunteering and recs) my gpa might transfer to a 3.0 but I'm not forsure and I want to get DG so bad to follow my family's legacy.

By: Idk
#4  by: advisor   

Truth - YES, grades play a major role in recruitment. Sororities have GPA requirements for pledging PNMs. Some are 2.5, some are 3.0, some may be higher than that. Even those groups make exceptions...but it is very uncommon.

Does everyone get a bid? No.
Some PNMs get released out of recruitment by every chapter. that typically only happens for 2 reasons: character & GPA.

If I attend 2 pref parties, will I get a bid to one of them? Yes. But, it might not be your first choice.

If I attend 1 pref party, will I get a bid to join that group? Yes...but ONLY if you've 'played the game right' and gone to ALL of your possible parties all week (maximized your options). However, if you intentional single preference (known as "suiciding" for 1 sorority), then you might not get a bid to that group...depends on where you fall on their bid list.

By: advisor
#5  by: me too   

i'm worried about grades as well. my high school gpa is terrible, but other areas of my resume show that i have academic potential. will i get completely released if my gpa is below a 2.7?

By: me too
#6  by: depends   

It all depends on how great your activities are. If you were president of the student council, homecoming queen, and miss "it" then a 2.7 isn't going to kill you...but, if you weren't REALLY HOT SNOT in high school, expect some pretty significant releases on the first night. IF you have extenuating circumstances which resulted in your sub-par academic performance in high school, you might want to make sure they know that (I.e. your dad was deployed overseas for 2 years and you had to babysit your infant twin siblings while mom worked a third job....not just 'my dog died and I had a really hard time with it.')

By: depends
by: PnmMay 4, 2014 8:19:43 PM

I have a 2.9 ( might transfer to 3.0) I played 3 varsity sports, involved in deca, youth in government, leadership club, key club (volunteering/ community improving club) and special Olympics volunteer I also was on homecoming court. I am not bad looking and have a good attitude. Do you think id end up in a house even with my gpa?? I'm also oos and won't know a soul

By: Pnm
by: @pnmMay 4, 2014 9:39:34 PM

My grades were even worse than yours and I had less involvement and I got into the house I wanted. It's not a "top house", but I was very happy with my rush. You'll probably be fine!

By: @pnm
by: @@pnmMay 19, 2014 3:23:52 PM

It is quite obvious that you are the same girl that is posting in every discussion. Don't think that DG won't notice that it's you posting on this anonymous website. You have kinda told us your life story and DG will get your resume. They will know who you are. And DG doesn't need anymore drama.

I advise you to lay-low and keep your options open. Don't feel like you HAVE to pledge DG because your mom, sister, and grandma did. We don't need any tears on big day.

By: @@pnm

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.