facebook

what makes a good sorority?

by: honestly?

I'm here at Middle Tennessee.. a freshman.. about to rush next weekend. However, some things have almost made me reconsider it altogether. Why? Because almost every opinion people have on each sorority involve "tier" based highly upon superficial aspects like if they're "hot or not", or if they "party or go out enough". That is what seems to be the main aspects people base their ranks on.. but I'm confused. Neither of those things make a good or successful sorority. Yes, sororities are supposed to be fun, but, first and foremost, aren't sororities here to help women GROW? Grow in CHARACTER, VALUES, LEADERSHIP, etc...? Since when does being pageant pretty gain you these things? There is NOTHING wrong with being pretty.. but when it starts to be the main aspect girls look for, it makes me question our society and greek life as a whole. Is this what it has turned into? A beauty and popularity competition? Again, don't get me wrong, competition is vital.. but shouldn't it be based on involvement, character, kindness, and academics? Better yet, shouldn't it just be encouraged to find where you fit based on those things.. not looks or status?

Posted By: honestly?
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Form your own opinion   

Honestly you can't believe anything you hear. There will always be rumors or misconceptions about each organization on campus. Go through recruitment and meet each chapter for yourself. Going through recruitment is not a comitment to anything, at any point during the process you can drop. There are so many different aspects to greek life that many people don't care to acknowledge. Sign up for recruitment, get to know other girls going through, and talk to your recruitment conselor about any questions or concerns you have! You won't regret trying it out, but you will regret not giving it a shot.

By: Form your own opinion
#2  by: honestly?   

I definitely agree there are misconceptions, but when I have been to open housed and recruitment events and see girls who seem focused on how they look as well as how the PNM's look/are dressed it's an automatic turnoff. It has definitely helped me form my opinion, I'm looking for something different and fresh, not somewhere to just be another pretty face.

By: honestly?
by: Form your own opinionSep 8, 2015 2:14:15 AM

I understand that is a major concern, as it should be, but each organization is different. Make sure you don't right a sorority off because of one negative encounter with one member. If you go through recruitment you will find your home. You might not click with every organization but in the end you just need to fall in love with one; and keep an open mind! I know we are all excited for the recruitment process to begin this weekend!

By: Form your own opinion

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.