facebook

formal rush

by: Junior

Is it hard for a junior transfer to go through a formal sorority recruitment in the fall?

Posted By: Junior
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: yes   

yes.

By: yes
#2  by: hey   

so i was in this exact situation...i was out of state but i had the grades and past involvement at my prior school and id say im a pretty likeable girl...and it didnt work out at all. if you are out of state and you dont know anyone and youre a junior then i wouldnt get your hopes up...not that you shouldnt try, but just know the odds are stacked against you (mizzou has a very competitive sorority recruitment process) be prepared to not get what you think going through to be your #1 chapter on your schedule. give it the old college try and remember to be open minded...focus on going greek not just chapter xyz. i wish someone had told me all that before i went through...hope everything works out for you :)

By: hey
#3  by: Truedat   

Just about half of the freshmen who go through rush drop out/don't pledge because they either get asked back to NO houses or to houses they don't want to join. And those are the cream of the crop who will be living in the house for at least one year and paying some sort of dues for four years. More than half of the sophomores drop out/don't pledge for the same reason. And only a handful of juniors pledge, and those are in lower-tier houses. Think about it: why would a house pledge a girl who will pay dues for only two years, who will never have an actual peer group and will live in the house as a senior, and probably the only one at that. Here's a piece of advice from a former assistant recruitment VP in a well-respected house. Don't bother going through rush. Instead, make an effort to make friends outside of Greektown and work yourself into a leadership position in a club or academic organization related to your major. By junior year most women are more focused on their major and academics and the freshman sorority stuff seems rather immature. There is more than one way to make friends and have a fulfulling college career. I'm afraid that ship has sailed for you if you want to find it in Greek life.

By: Truedat
#4  by: ..   

Unfortunately, yes, it is very difficult for junior transfers. Unless Mizzou joins the rest of the forward-thinking greek communities and institutes an upperclass quota, I doubt anything will change.

By: ..
#5  by: Affiliation   

Is it difficult for transfers who have been initiated to re-affiliate with upper-half houses?

By: Affiliation
by: sail awayOct 20, 2013 11:04:26 PM

I would say save your money. Unlike at many campuses, the sorority system here is so strong that most girls can only live in the house one year -- most often as a sophomore. That's when the real bonding takes place and when the friendships are cemented. Many houses don't even have enough room for all of their sophomores (at least the upper tier houses). So if you can't live in the house, I would suggest that you save your money because all you will be doing is living in an apartment, and it won't even be with sorority sisters you know and love.

By: sail away

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.