facebook

senior retention is at low

by: Y tho

Is it me or has a ridiculous amount of girls from each chapter’s 2016 pledge class dropped?? Everywhere started off with with around 85-100 and now most chapters are pushing 40-50 seniors even with the girls who joined their sophomore year.... I know some girls are going to leave over the course of time, it’s inevitable, but wow. I’m honestly surprised that many weren’t satisfied enough to stay or make their finances work for it if that was possible. I remember as a freshman my chapter has just about 300 girls after my PC joined and after recruitment this year we’re like 270.... and I’m in an upper mid tier house just for reference. It just makes me sad to see sorority like becoming less palatable to be people. I don’t even think COB compensates for it tbh. What do you think chapters could do to incentivize their girls to not drop as upperclassmen??

Posted By: Y tho
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: old lady   

Mizzou’s sororities just don’t cater to the needs of upperclassmen, and that should change. Your freshman and sophomore year you are trying to meet people, living in house, and your classes are a little easier, therefore doing things like pomping and required Greek week events are easy and fun. As an upperclassmen your priorities change and you don’t see your pledge class as much since you’ve moved out of the house. Pomping with a bunch of freshman frat guys and sitting through chapter meetings being told what to do by an exec board younger than you just doesn't have the same appeal anymore. I’m lucky to have my parents pay my dues so I’m going to stay, but I totally get why people leave. We need different expectations and programming for upperclassmen to better fit their priorities and needs.

By: old lady
by: Feel thisSep 16, 2019 1:12:18 PM

I’m a junior was heavily contemplating dropping over the summer because i was starting the upper level in my major and also work fair amount and having to prioritize homecoming hours and make it to every chapter meeting seemed like a nuisance to be quite honest. If it were not for the fact my grandparents pay my dues and that girls in my chapter were there for me when I was going through some heavy things I was going to leave, but just didn’t have the heart to do it. It’s definitely not perfect, but it’s something I can deal with. I just won’t have time to be very involved at all like I was previous years.

By: Feel this
#2  by: UM   

It's a trend in the SEC. NM classes are around 90-140 on bid day, but when you do the math, it never adds up to 4x (or in many cases, even 3x) that amount- not anywhere even close.

By: UM
by: InterestingSep 24, 2019 11:18:05 AM

That’s an interesting point, I didn’t know this was a thing at other schools in the SEC. Maybe the large pledge classes have a lot to do with it, if you actually know everyone in your pledge class and the classes around you there’s more incentive to stay around. Back in the day when pledge classes were small enough for all 4 to live in the house together was probably the time that sisterhood was the strongest.

By: Interesting
#3  by: Really?   

I can't say this is a trend in my house. So many girls came back as sophomores that they couldn't all fit in the house. Then when it comes to finding apartments, we tend to all rent at the same apartment complexes or areas of town. I think we've lost a few who didn't start paying their dues again after dull semester internships in STL or Chicago, but that's the exception.

By: Really?
#4  by: MizGreek   

I do think a inordinate amount of Greeks drop. I have a question for those considering it. If you do end up dropping, my understanding is that your future daughter/son cannot claim to be a legacy. Is that true? Is that something that would keep you from dropping?

By: MizGreek
by: TigerOct 4, 2019 4:04:15 PM

Ultimately I think that is low on the on things that factor in when people consider dropping. Often the reason people drop is for academic or financial reasons, or they decide Greek life is just not for them. These days for most houses being a legacy does not really carry that much weight. Some of the better houses could fill entire pledge classes with legacies.

By: Tiger
#5  by: truth   

This is everywhere, not just Mizzou. My sororoty has about 20 seniors out of a class of almost 60 left and I go to a Pac 12 school.

By: truth

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.