facebook

biggest in the nation?

by: Interesting

Overheard that AOPi and ASA want back on campus in the coming years and that Mizzou is pushing to become the largest Greek Life in the nation. My mom was an AOPi here in the 80's before they left. What do you guys think about the prospect of even more sororities coming on campus?

Posted By: Interesting
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: PHA   

I heard Delta Zeta is the next to come back on campus.

Also, SAE just came back so that adds to the fraternity count.

By: PHA
#2  by: ...   

Well sigma kappa is already one hot mess. It doesn't make sense when you have Trisigma and SK struggling to add yet ANOTHER house....

By: ...
#3  by: /   

I feel like this website is trying to portray SK as a giant disaster, but the reality is that they're really nice and social girls; plus they're very involved and attend other chapter's philanthropies. I know my sorority likes them because they had a very high turnout at ours

By: /
#4  by: tigerpaws   

AOPi was never at Mizzou. Phi Mu colonized and DZ and AOPi both were finalists.

By: tigerpaws
#5  by: tigers   

AOPi actually was a chapter in the late 80s and early 90s... AGD was at Mizzou at one point too.

By: tigers
#6  by: No.   

AOPi was here in the 80s. My mom was an AOPi here

By: No.
#7  by: Newbies   

Honestly, SIgma has survived here and SK is rocking it here so I think DZ will have the next invite. But I could see it open up to others as well

By: Newbies
#8  by: What's the point   

If being a part of the Mizzou greek system is something to aspire to, I see no reason to add more chapters. AOPi, DZ? Their nationals are not exactly very strong and their is no prestige in being a member of any of those chapters. We already have SK, Sigma and Phi Mu, which do not exactly have strong national reputations. Why would we want to dilute the pool even further. I'm more in favor of quality, not quantity.

By: What's the point
by: Phi Mu Nov 2, 2013 6:51:04 PM

is great in the South, Sigma Kappa, DZ and AOPi all have a fair number of strong chapters that are randomly distributed. Can't speak for Sigma.

By: Phi Mu
#9  by: PHA    

The issue with expansion is that for a house to come on this campus and be competitive, they have to be able to build a giant house within their colonization year. And Delta Zeta is MAYBE the only national sorority with the funds to do that. Aopi didn't have a house before- and supposedly that is why they failed. Also, it is REALLY hard to justify expansion when you have houses that don't make quota during recruitment...

By: PHA
by: quotaNov 2, 2013 1:24:21 PM

who didn't make quota? I know SK gave out snap bids but i thought they were at quota now bc of that? I heard Phi Mu made quota and Sigma didn't

By: quota
by: SigmaNov 2, 2013 2:07:30 PM

Just Sigma didn’t make quota. SK made quota at 85, but decided to take more to get closer to house total, so I think now they have like 100 pledges.

By: Sigma
by: SnapNov 2, 2013 7:00:02 PM

SK did snap bid this year.... There's a whole thread on it. They are at quota now though, but I heard they have continued to COB to reach average chapter total. They're doing fine either way, snap bids or not.

By: Snap
#10  by: n   

It would be for the best! Chapter sizes are outrageous right now. How many of your sisters do you really know well? How effective are your chapter meetings? Wouldn't you like to be able to meet in your house and have your entire chapter attend, as the houses were designed?

SK and SSS are both doing much better than this site makes it sound. Also, it's very rare for a campus to refuse to expand because one house fails to match to quota during formal recruitment. It's the year round health of the system that is the most important, which includes COB efforts (COB isn't a bad thing, no matter what you all have decided to think about it), retention, and things like withdrawal rates during formal recruitment.

Really, expansion would be wonderful for so many reasons!

By: n
by: sigmaNov 3, 2013 10:17:30 AM

Sigma hasn't met quota the past few years. I'm not sure what numbers they have now, but you can only go so many years without meeting it.

By: sigma
by: SigmaNov 3, 2013 2:58:24 PM

Missed quota by five this year but by 30-something last year. I think they made quota before that, but they have an ongoing problem retaining the members they get. Still, they're not struggling with numbers to the point that they're in danger of being shut down -- their latest pledge class put them in the mid-200s, I think.

By: Sigma
by: Guess Nov 3, 2013 5:01:32 PM

I guess we will see when grades and house size comes out at the end of the semester. We've had houses in the past putting up fronts that they had an awesome PC and then we find out that a ton of girls dropped (sigma and zeta both lied last year and it pushed them further into bottom tier)

By: Guess

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.