facebook

Grades after you pledge

by: iou

PSA the sororities that have the most emphasis on grades while active in the soro are Alpha Gam Chi O. While it is great, if you want a social life beware. You will be stressed trying to keep your GPA at a 3.5 each semester, while doing all the fun swaps and football games etc. Know the expectations of each sorority, ask them during rush.

Posted By: iou
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Newsflash   

This is one of the reasons why these houses use GPA for 1st round cuts. They automatically eliminate PNMs that arent meeting a minimum academic requirement. That way they end up with a house full of girls that more than likely won’t have any problems managing grades and fun!

By: Newsflash
by: top fiveApr 8, 2024 1:37:37 PM

top five in grades are AGD, AXO, XO, KD and Phi Mu - all of them have a very social calendar and take top pnms so making a 3.5 isn't a hard activity for them to handle on top of everything else that is required. \n\n\n\n\n1. (3.90 - 3.86) AGD
2. (3.85 - 3.81)
3. (3.80 - 3.76) AXO
4. (3.75 - 3.71) XO
5. (3.70 - 3.66)
6. (3.65 - 3.61) PM, KD
7. (3.60 - 3.56) PIPHI
8. (3.55 - 3.51) DDD, ZTA
9. (3.50 - 3.46) ADPI, KKG, DG, DZ

By: top five
by: andApr 8, 2024 8:35:31 PM

those top 8 in grades (+ kkg) also have the highest membership numbers. none of those houses disaffiliates members due to lower grades like someone said.

By: and
#2  by: Priorities   

There are a good handful of sororities here with high grade expectations, and they recruit accordingly. They look for pnm's who have shown they can handle it already. All sororities have fun; the swaps and games and parties and all of it, but some sororities also support their members academically, because they have some crazy idea that school comes first. What a concept.

If you want to have fun but are actually here for school and know that your grades will matter to your future, you want a peer group that gets that.

By: Priorities
#3  by: no   

high achiever/high involvement houses like axo, agd, and xo don't recruit dumb pnms, so making a 3.5 isn't stressful for their new members. no house requires you to make a 3.5 anyway

By: no
#4  by: ohbut   

Explanation for the voyeurs who don’t go to school here (or anywhere) but get their info on GR and TT:

In high school there were girls who were very involved, had leadership roles, honors, and made high grades, and STILL had an active social life (prob didn’t include cring tts and sus insta pics though).

They basically built a resume and had great options for schools and sororities if they rushed. This is why a pnm’s resume matters for recruitment. Most selective houses are looking for well put-together pnms like these.

Works the same way in college, except with way higher stakes. The resume you build in college, by the time you are a junior even, will determine your options when you graduate or even before you graduate. Want to be recruited by a great company or get in a competitive post grad or professional school? Don’t surround yourself with losers who keep saying anyone who makes grades or achieves on campus is not social. They are social which is why they chose a big SEC school with a huge active Greek community. They manage it all.

The cretins who troll this site define social as being seen most often drunk and sleeping with frat boys in NOLA. They’ll fail out, leave school, live at home while still trying to make it on TT, and be forgotten.

By: ohbut
by: HhhhhhhhhhhhApr 6, 2024 6:24:30 AM

Harsh but the best response. True true.

By: Hhhhhhhhhhhh
by: ICU Apr 6, 2024 11:04:05 AM

OR grannie, women can have TTs and IGs AND still be accomplished. U r sooooo judgmental and cringy. Going to NOLA doesn’t mean u will fail out. The problem w the “high achieving, grade oriented” sororities is that they all have this awful attitude. If u want OR grannies dictating how u need to act during college, join one of these sororities BUT they r many amazing houses that also make women into successful leaders wo being judgemental. BFR, u aren’t a student at Bama and u haven’t been for a long time.

By: ICU
by: ohbutApr 6, 2024 12:02:36 PM

@ICU

I graduated last year. If you went to school here you would know that NO house wants a middle school-mentality member who can't write or spell.

All houses have rules, commitments, and standards. You can party hard and post all the cringy tts you want but you don't need a sorority for that. They don't need you either.

by: ohbutApr 6, 2024 1:00:54 PM

@ICU

You are obviously the OP and posting bs about houses you know nothing about. You don't go to school here since you are judging houses based on their accomplishments and bs you read on gr.

Your reading comprehension is also very poor, since you are commenting on things I didn't even say. You are no Kylan. She is an exception.

Work on your basic skills now so you can do something other than post on GR in the future. Maybe you could get into a CC.

by: @ohbutApr 6, 2024 1:41:08 PM

@ohbut, u r so wrong, not op just think ur comments r crass.

What judgments on houses did I make? And please be specific. All said is that OR alums r judgemental. U proved my point. U an OR alum and u r being judgemental & trying to dictate how women should act.

What things did I misinterpret? Please be specific.

U r absolutely bashing other women. U said high achieving women r social but don’t engage in “cringe TT and sus IG”. Why u care? then u said the “ cretins who troll this site define social as being seen most often drunk and sleeping with frat boys in NOLA. They’ll fail out, leave school, live at home while still trying to make it on TT, and be forgotten”. So the “cretins” u r referring to r women in Greek life. U r absolutely bashing women and insinuating that if a woman goes to Nola they will fail out. NOT TRUE. Women can be on TT, go to Nola and be successful. U r absolutely trying to talk up ur academic house while bashing other women and their choices.

Ur ability to defend urself is weak at best as u speak in generalization wo be specific.

Also since when is CC used as an insult? It’s a good option for a lot of ppl that need to save $. Just another example of ur judgemental attitude. Not a nice bone in ur body.

I can say at least I go here, u can’t say the same. Also if I’m so uneducated what does it say about u? We got into the same school 😘

By: @ohbut
by: whoaApr 6, 2024 4:05:40 PM

Why so defensive ICU? Obviously someone hit a nerve and you recognized yourself in the comments.

You can't come at someone about bashing women when you just bashed a couple thousand of them with "The problem w the “high achieving, grade oriented” sororities is that they all have this awful attitude."

By: whoa
by: YupApr 7, 2024 9:45:55 AM

I have every right to point out nasty comments and attitudes from “high achieving” houses. It’s great that u value high achievement BUT u shouldn’t put down other women to make urself look great. That is what the comment did. I’m not defensive just calling out bad behavior

By: Yup
by: ????Apr 7, 2024 10:26:53 AM

@yup, you are just as guilty. Peruse through the previous threads and you’ll see just as many derogatory comments directed towards the houses you claim have “awful attitudes” as those you claim to be defending. How about both of you stop. This thread is ridiculous and no one is achieving anything other than looking childish.

By: ????
by: TruthApr 7, 2024 10:59:39 AM

I called it an “awful attitude” bc that is the behavior that was demonstrated and observed in the post. I didn’t make all those other derogatory comments towards high achieving houses. That has nothing to do w me. Using those comments as a justification for putting down women for TT and Nola is not okay. It’s childish. I was calling out the posters bad attitude towards women. She was building up her house while putting other women down. It’s not okay and u shouldn’t be okay w it. All of us should be building each other up.

By: Truth
#5  by: Balance    

I agree with above. People will want to get a job after college- grades do matter. You definitely can balance social and academics but it is important to choose friends and a sorority who has the same goal as you. There are sororities that don’t push academics and getting involved which may be fun at the beginning but then you will regret it as you want to calm down a little and they are still out every day. Don’t you want a sorority that will push you to be your best overall self ? I do like being held accountable for my grades.

By: Balance
#6  by: Me   

Look, if you can’t maintain at least a 3.5 GPA maybe you shouldn’t join a sorority and put all focus on your grades (which is what truly matters). That’s how I see it. I was not a member of AGD, but they won chapter of the year for a reason.

By: Me
#7  by: True but…   

@ICU, I agree with you. I would also point out though that the “high achieving” houses are bashed just as much, and as harshly, as the “social” houses. It seems like the divide here has shifted from the previous debate between OR and NR to now more of a focus on “High Achieving vs Social”. All the houses are amazing. It really comes down to finding your people.

By: True but…
by: IcuApr 7, 2024 9:54:46 AM

I agree w u. High achieving houses r bashed as well and it isn’t fair. Honestly, valuing good grades is a great quality. I commented bc in defending high achieving houses the post was also derogatory towards women. Women can do IG, TT and Nola and still get good grades. It’s great for the post to discuss the pros of being in a high achieving house BUT putting down others to make urself look good is not cool. That is where I was coming from.

By: Icu
by: NoApr 7, 2024 3:20:32 PM

The OP just gave advice. She said be aware of sorority grade requirements and make sure u will be able to do it. It’s good advice but it’s seemed to have triggered a lot ppl. The OP isn’t even rude but a lot of the comments r very judgmental. Calm down and allow ppl to choose the place that is right for them. There is no need to belittle or criticize

By: No
by: ResponsesApr 7, 2024 4:30:34 PM

Yes and the first responses the to the OP just say that for the girls in the houses with more stringent academic requirements, it won’t be an issue because the first round cuts for those houses are grade based so girls that won’t make the cut academically won’t even have those options available to them anyway. Basically it’s an unnecessary post since the first round cuts eliminate the issue.

By: Responses
by: SubtleApr 7, 2024 4:38:44 PM

A subtle attempt at bashing a house is still bashing. Posting to “beware” because of academic requirements at 2 of the top houses is unnecessary. As previously stated, the girls in the houses referenced have no problem balancing grades with fun. Try another tactic.

By: Subtle
by: Note to selfApr 7, 2024 6:55:44 PM

So, for future reference, it’s ok to bash the houses that include academics as part of the recruitment process (at a University I might add) and not ok to say anything about those houses that are primarily social focused. Cool. Got it.

By: Note to self
by: hahaApr 7, 2024 7:19:54 PM

sounds like someone hit a nerve with a gr troll who lives with their parents tryin to make it on tiktok

By: haha
by: NoApr 8, 2024 8:24:48 AM

@notetoself, for someone that is in a supposedly academic house, I don’t understand how u don’t get it. The word “beware” is not the same nor does it justify the over the top response w disgusting language from “high achieving” houses. U can and should defend urself but leave out all the disgusting language. Stop justifying and supporting that type of behavior.

By: No
#8  by: gms   

Grades are great but ask during rush what expectations are for each house you visit. I think there is a balance and you want to pick a house that aligns with who you are. High school and college are very different. You will end up not being able to participate in functions because you cant maintain the GPA that is expected.

By: gms
by: soApr 7, 2024 7:22:12 PM

Which houses, at what GPA, prevent you from participating in functions? Since you know

By: so
#9  by: grades   

I'm not in those sororities, but I feel like my sorority is pretty invested in grades too. It's not even that they make you feel badly if you don't keep up the grades it's just that so many of the girls are on dean's and president's list that you want to be included. Also, many sororities have academic awards so it's always nice to be invited to those. As for social i have seen a few alpha gams out and chios they are just around mostly OR boy events - but they are out and social and very nice. I think you definitely can have it all. I would pick a sorority on what your common goals are. That is totally what rush is for to figure it all out.

By: grades
#10  by: A+   

I was sad to see some girls I knew from home were cut because of grades. My sorority's grade cut off is higher than what greek chic says. With numbers increasing every year i think a lot of sororities are looking for higher grades because at least it is an objective way to cut.

By: A+

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.