facebook

tips for having a 4.0 gpa while in a sorority?

by: Advice

In simple words, my sorority seems to have tons of events nearly everyday but I’m on the Pre-Medical track (no one knows this). I honestly have to spend extensive amount of time volunteering, shadowing, and doing things that Pre-Meds sort of have to do, while maintaining a super high GPA. But I also want to give back to my sorority and be a contributing sister, ya know? Since I’ll be paying so much, I want to make a difference. I’m a freshman, so I would appreciate advice because I don’t want to burn out. I’m sure there’s other women in my position too, or who’ve been through this stage!

Posted By: Advice
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: uhhh   

Please get the idea out of your head that you HAVE to have a 4.0 GPA. This isn’t high school. Aim for a 3.5 (or 3.7) and higher so you don’t stress yourself out and you’ll be golden.

If you are on scholarship and need to maintain a 4.0 to keep it... well.. I don’t have any advice.

Any medical or stem major is most likely going to take up a ton of your time. You have to find a balance. You can’t be involved in everything... Again, this isn’t high school. Don’t stretch yourself too thin because you still need to make time for yourself to just chill and relax.

By: uhhh
by: WrongSep 22, 2018 4:12:47 PM

You want to get into a good Medical program for Grad? You're ass better have a very high GPA.

By: Wrong
by: ?Sep 22, 2018 5:07:41 PM

A 3.7 GPA IS high. If you can’t manage the time commitment for a school AND a sorority, you should’ve either not joined a sorority or you should have picked an easier major! However, if you can manage the time, you just have to find what works for you. No one on here can tell you how you work so you should ask other pre-med sorority girls you know!

By: ?
by: wellSep 25, 2018 1:57:51 AM

3.7 is pretty low for med school applications.If your grades are that low you better have a killer MCAT

By: well
#2  by: doing it   

There are plenty of us keeping our 4.0s and swamped with other obligations. We are running clubs, running charity events, doing internships and work for our majors while enjoying our sorority. In my friend group we take our studies seriously and we have to make choices. I don't go to everything and yes, it sucks sometimes. I am not at the game because I am studying for a huge exam and preparing for an interview. I did go and hang out pregame but sold my ticket and am using the time to get ahead. Most of the girls that I was hanging with earlier were doing the same (some in my house but some not). I miss some date parties, some pre-games, some events but also careful to make many others.

Don't complain to your sisters about how busy you are, they are too.It is worst the first semester of freshman year because there are non-negotiable obligations and so many things you don't want to miss. Prepare for homecoming and get ahead with all of your studies. You will not have a minute to yourself. It will get easier in the spring, and you won't have the pull of football weekends. By next fall you will have an idea of the things you can pass on and the ones that you don't want to miss. It can be done and is being done all over campus.

By: doing it
#3  by: Huumm   

Take it from me, a junior in a sorority. You can't afford a 3.7 freshman year. Sophomore year is so much harder.

I finished freshman year with a 4.0 and dropped to 3.8 after sophomore year and nearly killed myself with intense studying.

It is something you'll need to get used to. I missed a lot freshman year socially and you'll need to accept this too. There's plenty of us...so you're not alone.

By: Huumm
#4  by: Hi   

I am a junior on the pre-health track in a sorority.
It is possible to do it all and have fun! BUT, you have to want it. If you think that sitting around all day, every day, including Thursday and Friday nights, studying is too much, then this is probably not the right major for you.
I'm not trying to be harsh, I just want to be very honest. In medical schools, studying is all you will do, so you might as well get used to that. This is only preparing you.
At the end of the day, my major comes first. I go to what I have time for in my sorority, but my days as a sorority member aren't forever. The day you graduate, none of it matters anymore. What does matter is how you set yourself up to be the best applicant possible. You have to choose what is more important to you.
With that being said, I felt that I have had a fulfilling time as a sorority member! I have been able to go to lots of events and football games. I've just had to be more selective on what I attend. Time management is key! I was so overwhelmed my freshman year. I didn't think I could do this. Now, I'm applying next summer! If you're committed, you'll make it!

By: Hi
#5  by: Dont   

You CANT do it all. And don’t beat yourself up for what you may seem to be missing out on. Specifically, you can’t get the necessary good grades in a hard major, be active in the house, volunteer and PARTY.

IMHO - the thing that has to go is the “party”. Not all, events, and not saying you can’t have fun. But, you’ll be around girls who do (and seem) to go out every night. You can not try to keep up with them.

At times it may feel like they are having all the fun.

And as someone said, they have NO sympathy for you and your hard major - some of them are on Presidents list with 4.0s in their major and don’t want to hear it’s “not deserved” or easy.

I am a junior on the right track to get accepted to a med program. Have missed games and plenty of other house events, only go out once a week, have said I “can’t” a million times, but HAVE had plenty of fun, am active in the house with a leadership role, as well as on campus.

Point is, priorities and decisions need to be made. Sometimes its tough in the environment of those around you who ARE having more “fun”. But in the end it’s worth it!

Good luck. \n\n\n\n\n

By: Dont
by: WHAT?Sep 25, 2018 9:18:32 AM

GIRL, if they have no sympathy for a sister just because she’s Pre med and is taking a hard major, then what kind of sisters are they? What do you think sisterhood means? Or are you even in a sorority here? Sisterhood doesn’t mean having no sympathy for sisters who are Pre medical. God forbid that girls with hard majors and fixed goals after college actually want to join a sorority, only to be surrounded by women like you.

By: WHAT?
by: ^^^^Sep 25, 2018 1:16:17 PM

I don’t think being honest is a bad thing. Girls who are advertising and marketing majors simply do not have the pressure that biology and chemistry major girls have. Do you have to shadow physicians from all specialties? Do you have to volunteer for more than 1000 hours before application time? Do you have to worry about keeping a 3.8+ GPA all the time because given the competition, anything below a 3.8 will reduce your chances GREATLY. Do you have to do research with professors (and let me tell me you being a research assistant is almost like a full time job)? No, you don’t. Because those easy majors revolve around communication and how well you are good at “marketing” things. But guess what? Pre Med girls’ communication skills will have to be just as good, if not better, than yours because they will need it to get into medical school (interview is the most important part). They will need to have better communication skills to volunteer and shadow.

Don’t even insinuate that you are working harder as a philosophy major than a girl who is Pre med. Accept that you have chosen to take the easy way out.

By: ^^^^
#6  by: Honest Opinion   

I would give it a try this year, but if you're struggling to make the grades then I would drop my sorority. If your dream is to go to med school then that has to be your priority. I would see if you can juggle it, but don't burn yourself out trying to be the best sorority girl ever. In all honesty, I believe this for every woman in college. You came here for an education. I think sorority and social life should work around your main job of being a student. This is a no-brainer at other schools. Good luck!

By: Honest Opinion

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.