facebook

sigma kappa

by: SK

How many girls is Sigma Kappa going to get? I’ve heard lots of good chatter about them but i’m still curious as to what kind of girls they will get! Do you think they will be selective or accept everybody?

Posted By: SK
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: Don't be   

Don't be surprised if the number is in the 50-75 range.
Their national is not going to be looking for huge numbers but finding a core group that will work together to develop the chapter. Lessons learned from the last time SK colonized at Bama, they chose quantity and had severe teamwork and sisterhood issues resulting in their collapse.

By: Don't be
by: GgSep 21, 2018 9:25:55 AM

The last time they colonized was 1995, before most of us were born so where are you getting your info from? Might be true but it sounds like you have a lot of personal opinion stuck in between possible facts...
Also the last time they were here was before RFM. A lot of chapters folded all over the country before RFM because that was when PNMs could truly decline invites and top tiers strung girls along until the bid day because they wanted to have a full house and have their pick of the litter. Because those girls were getting invites to “top” houses, they turned down other invites because they thought they were going to be getting in elsewhere, when instead on bid day they were left with nothing and the non-top houses were also left with nothing.

By: Gg
by: AngSep 21, 2018 9:55:56 PM

@Gg that’s interesting do you happen to know when RFM was implemented here? I’d be interested to see if the introduction of RFM was before or after SDT went off to have their own recruitment process... just a thought.

By: Ang
by: AngSep 21, 2018 9:56:34 PM

@Gg that’s interesting do you happen to know when RFM was implemented here? I’d be interested to see if the introduction of RFM was before or after SDT went off to have their own recruitment process... just a thought.

By: Ang
by: @AngSep 26, 2018 6:12:35 PM

RFM was piloted on limited campuses 2004/2005.

By: @Ang
#2  by: ...   

This girl in my class told me that she’s going through rush at SK and they told her they “want to have enough numbers to be competitive with the other houses” verbatim

By: ...
by: ActSep 21, 2018 10:33:28 AM

I mean that makes sense. Obviously they want quality girls but they’re not gonna take less than 100 because they still have to do rush next year. Taking enough to be competitive could be 200-300, and then they’ll pick up some more in the spring

By: Act
#3  by: Gg   

They sent out pref invites and I’m Pretty sure if you got a pref invite you’re gonna get a bid. That’s how most colonizing chapters all over have been doing it. A colonizing chapter will do a preference ceremony and surprise you get a bid too.
Can’t be 100% sure that’s what SK is gonna do here but that’s been a big trend lately in colonizing chapters at big colonizations. Sorry if that gets anyone’s hopes up but that should give you an idea of how many girls they may take?? Maybe? 🤷🏼‍♀️

By: Gg
#4  by: Aunt Gin   

Colonizing sororities generally want to take close to the average chapter size, but that doesn't mean they won't take everybody. They are still selective.They will need to be big enough to handle the 2019 primary recruitment.
Just a guess, 250 to 300.
They will probably have a fair size new member class via spring COB. I certainly wish them the best! Strong chapters mean a stronge Greek system.

Now...wonder when they will initiate?

By: Aunt Gin
by: Aunt GinSep 21, 2018 11:30:51 AM

Ugh! I meant to say, "it doesn't mean they will take everybody." Sure wish we could edit comments!

By: Aunt Gin
#5  by: What I heard    

They are being selective about who they choose. I know girls that didn’t get invited back for the pref round and they are nice girls who are really involved and I also know girls that got invited with really low gpa so I don’t know how they are picking their girls. I do know they wanted to have around 300 girls and about 1,000 had visits.

By: What I heard
#6  by: colony   

Having colonized a chapter myself, colonies definitely don't take everyone. Just like with any established chapter, there are gpa requirements, letters of rec, legacies, and leaders on campus to consider. They're going to be looking to take a spread across the classes so they have girls slated for exec and freshmen to sustain the chapter/invite their unaffiliated friends (as all chapters who COB do). Usually sororities look to bid up to chapter total, but that's a lot easier to do at schools where total is ~120 as opposed to 400. Their goal will likely (again all of us are speculating because none of us are SK) try to bid enough to fill out formal recruitment and almost definitely will take a spring PC. Keep in mind they'll also have to offer up members next fall for recruitment counselors.

By: colony
#7  by: curious   

So does anyone know approximately how many girls were invited to the pref rounds? And will there still be cuts before bid day?

By: curious
by: PennySep 21, 2018 9:25:19 PM

Like it was said above it’s hard to tell. A lot of colonizations lately have just done pref round -> bid night across the country. But that doesn’t mean that will be the case here. In the past, colonizations would do more cuts after pref round. No one here can tell you and no one on the SK team will either.
No one has the answers especially anyone on an anonymous website with no verification 🤷🏻‍♀️

By: Penny
by: HmmSep 21, 2018 9:27:39 PM

I have no idea because I'm not involved, but I have a hard time thinking that they would take girls to their pref ritual and not offer all of them bids. Seems like their prefs would be their chance to close the deal on the girls they want, getting anyone who's not sure off the fence and convincing them to accept a bid when offered. But as I said, not involved so just speculating.

By: Hmm
by: UpSep 22, 2018 8:49:34 AM

Doesn’t look like they gave bids at pref last night. My sorority doesn’t do that at colonization pref generally but I know a lot do. It could be that they are giving bids to all those girls but wanted to have a distinct bid day. Since in normal rush everyone at pref is required to be on the bid list maybe it’s the same for colonization

By: Up
#8  by: Guest   

their pc looked huge. 250 girls maybe.

By: Guest
#9  by: ???   

I went to pref round for SK, but did not get a bid. Kind of confused to be honest because everyone was saying pref guaranteed bid. Plus, I had a pretty high gpa and did a lot of philanthropy in high school soooo that email was a little been of shock.

By: ???
by: damnSep 23, 2018 2:18:37 PM

I'm so sorry. That seems like a tacky thing to do. Maybe they just want to say they didn't offer bids to everyone so they start out looking more exclusive. I hope you will get to know members in different houses this year and keep your grades up and do recruitment next fall under the upperclassmen quota that will be back.

By: damn
#10  by: ???   

ya it really thinks because i heard they made more cuts during normal rush so sk could get more members. when i got dropped at first i had little to no desire to try for sk but they made it seem like the perfect option. i have a small hope of cob because I really don't want to have through rush again, but still would like to take part.

By: ???
by: ?????????Sep 23, 2018 6:22:01 PM

They did not make more cuts during formal rush for SK....that’s not how rush works 🤦🏼‍♀️

By: ?????????

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.