facebook

i have no friends in my sorority

by: SOS

I went on retreat and it was VERY cliquey. People automatically just had these close groups and I knew no one.. a lot of girls already knew eachother and I'm scared ill be miserable and miss out on fun things because I don't have a group of friends.

Help!!! How do I make friends before it's too late??

Posted By: SOS
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: active   

put. yourself. out. there.

it's awkward and it's uncomfortable, especially if you're not an extroverted person. but this is the time to make connections and bonds. trust me, it's not too late, it never will be. take any and every girl up on any opportunity, whether it be to go to a party or to go to target. also don't forget about the upperclassmen! i know there are age/grade differences but everyone still wants to make new friends!!!

By: active
by: MaydayFeb 18, 2019 7:53:35 PM

You obviously have no idea what cliquish means. It has nothing to do with not putting yourself out their. Cliques include people who arent interested in meeting new people. They have a very strong bond & dont have interest or a want for new people. They are happy and content with the friendships they already have. Sure, she could put herself out there but if anything, cliques just get annoyed& probably will try to avoid her. Or worse make fun of her. How many movies about cliques r there?? Maybe u need to watch a few. This fairytale way of making friends only wks in preschool. But as you get older people can be cruel& cliquish. Its not fair but everyone isnt open to meetung new ppl

By: Mayday
#2  by: GoGreek   

It's not too late!! Most girls - if they're honest - feel a little left out and unsure during the first few weeks (even some of the ones who appear to be in "established" cliques already). Everyone is grasping to find their place in their new sorority, I promise!

Whatever you do- don't go into "withdrawal" mode. You've got to put yourself out there and work at it to make friends.

Some ideas:
1. Reach out to the other NM's who live in your dorm and just start making plans- whether it's walking over to your NM meetings together or a lunch date, just do it.
2. Never, ever decline an invitation from someone in your chapter (unless it's illegal,..). Say "yes" to everything!
3. Wear your letters with pride and look for other girls in your classes who wear them. Sit with them, make plans to study together, etc.
4. If you are OOS, make plans with other OOS NM's. Sometimes it's easier to bond with someone who is also from Texas or the northeast or wherever.
5. If all else fails, just gather your courage and start sitting with what appears to be an "established" clique. Introduce yourself and just jump in to the convo whenever it's natural.

By: GoGreek
#3  by: me too   

omg girl as a pnm I feel the same way as you. I feel like my sorority is so cliquey and everyone has already made friend groups but me. reach out to people and ask to do thngs,other people feel the exact same including myself and I would love if someone did that!

By: me too
#4  by: please   

Give yourself time. First semester is a huge adjustment. Alot is happening at one time. Going away to school, meeting (a lot) of new girls, etc. Friendships, building relationships take time. The girls that look like they are moving thru it easier or just as scared as you. Hang in there.

By: please
#5  by: Just saying    

That's what happens to an OOS girls that pledges an in state (Top Tier LOL) house. Should have gone with an OOS house, they don't bring high school and country club BS with them.

Find the other OOS filler girls in your house and bond with them.

By: Just saying
by: ....Aug 22, 2017 1:35:05 PM

Oh my god, shut up.

I am in a new row house and my pledge class still had a ton of issues with cliques. It's not always an old row/new row thing, it has to do with putting 150 girls in the same room and expecting them to all be friends immediately.

By: ....
#6  by: umm   

did you pay your dues?

remind those idiots you payed for your friends. just be like HELLO, i'm in this sorority and my mom and dad paied mucho monies so you haz to be frands wiff meh.

then they will talk to you and be frans and stuff

some tiems dez idoitos forget they didn't pay for their friends. in which case, just remind em

By: umm
#7  by: problem   

This is the problem pnms run into when they decide on a sorority based on greekrank's opinions instead of their own opinions. If you're not old South, you're going to be lonely in an OR sorority. If you're not the top of the looks scale, you're going to be lonely and picked on in A Phi (like a bunch of their girls this year). If you're not smart you're not going to find many friends in AXO. And on and on. Trust the process and let it help you find your place based on who you are not based on how high you can score. And don't get me started on recruitment coaches.

By: problem
#8  by: Aunt Gin   

Another way is to talk with one of your chapter's top officers privately and tell her how you feel...maybe even your old new member educator. They can put the word out among the older members to be more open.
Mainly...keep hanging out at the house, keep being visible. Volunteer for stuff if you can. If you work with others at a task, even a small one, they're more likely to feel comfortable with you and include you.
And next fall, there will be a whole new crop of new members who will be feeling like you and you can open up to.

By: Aunt Gin

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.