facebook

what does old row mean?

by: bama

i always thought old row meant the houses that were here the longest, but then somebody told me it had to do with beer? I'm so confused.

Posted By: bama
Post Reply Report
Page 2 of 2
#11  by: Not true   

ADPI is not old row at all

By: Not true
#12  by: Anon   

I’ve gathered that it’s similar to the confederacy.

By: Anon
#13  by: Reality check   

Oh, the star bellied Sneetches had bellies with stars,
but the plain bellied Sneetches had none upon thars.

OR and NR make about as much sense as Dr. Seuss.

By: Reality check
#14  by: Only your elders will kn    

If no one on campus can remember it why should it matter?

By: Only your elders will kn
#15  by: old row info   

What makes any chapter at Bama Old Row versus New Row are two things: founding date and whether or not they are "sponsored" by Budweiser. First of all, those fraternities and sororities that were the first few on campus banded together to form a group, called Old Row. Originally Zeta Tau Alpha and ADPi were given offers to be a part of Old Row, seeing as they were founded before other sororities on campus, but because of national policies that they cannot be sponsored by drinking organizations, they were replaced. Kappa was one of those sororities who replaced them, I believe. Delta Zeta might be one of the sororities who declined as well, although I'm not sure.

As for the second part, being sponsored by Budweiser, yeah haha. Old Row fraternities and sororities enjoy the privilege of receiving free beer courtesy of Budweiser, and they also get shirts with "Old Row" on them that makes it look like the Budweiser logo. At the end of the year, Budweiser also sponsors an Old Row party for all members.

By: old row info

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.