facebook

what does old row mean?

by: bama

i always thought old row meant the houses that were here the longest, but then somebody told me it had to do with beer? I'm so confused.

Posted By: bama
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: Z   

It means nothing. Technically there are no old row sororities although many would argue. Old row pertains only to frats.

By: Z
by: Not quiteMay 18, 2017 2:27:44 PM

It absolutely also pertains to sororities. It started with six original fraternities that were on "Old fraternity Row" before they started building houses up Jefferson.

Those six fraternities (SN, SAE, KA, PGD, PDT, DKE) picked their six favorite sororities to join them in their annual "Old Row" party and become the sorority component of the Old Row group.

The Old Row sororities are: KD, XO, KKG, DDD, AGD and AXO. PM was extended a sympathy invitation to join after the Machine did them wrong back in the 90s, but most don't consider PM full-fledged embers of Old Row.

By: Not quite
by: wenApr 5, 2018 1:08:42 AM

Where was the original fraternity row? With the first six fraternities?

By: wen
by: NopeMay 8, 2020 11:34:27 PM

^excuse me but the sororities with the top three grades are AGD, AXO, and XO. The pageant champs are in PM and AGD.

By: Nope
#2  by: More   

What did the Machine do to Phi Mu?

By: More
by: YesMar 31, 2018 6:14:04 PM

Yes, the Phi Mu was attacked. There is a documentary on it on YouTube called “University of Alabama Theta Nu Epsilon “The Machine” Documentary” by GovWallace. It’s like 10 minutes but it’s interesting and explains a lot!

By: Yes
by: YepOct 9, 2018 1:41:10 PM

She was ambushed and beaten up in her apartment.

By: Yep
#3  by: ACTIVE   

Brutal honesty:
Old Row means virtually nothing anymore. Being Old Row is not prestigious anymore and a lot of instate kids like to talk it up so much because they can't let go. Some of the Old Row frats do still carry a little prestige but it varies houses by house, however, all the Old Row fraternities pledge instate/Southern kids solely and DKE pledge Mobile kids solely. You have to be an important kid to get a bid from these houses if you're not from the South, which is very rare.
On the other hand, for sororities, being Old Row it literally nothing now. Once the Old Row sororities were just like the frats in the manner that they only pledged girls from certain areas... However over the years, these Old Row sororities realized that picking a girl from Montgomery/Birmingham/Mobile/etc who isn't necessarily a "good" PNM over a girl from the North/West who's an outstanding PNM was hurting them. All the Old Row sororities have a decent mix of instate/OOS girls in every pledge class now which is why you see houses (like KKG, KD, AGD, DDD) that have used being Old Row as their claim to fame suffer these past few years.
There are handfuls of New Row fraternities and sororities that work just as hard, if not harder, than Old Row houses. At the end of the day being Old Row means almost nothing on campus and in the real world.

By: ACTIVE
by: OldRowSocialChairSep 10, 2017 1:26:06 AM

Don't confuse Old Row the brand with the real Old Row. While many UA students now are out of state, the prestige of the original Old Row fraternities and their associated sororities still presides. So DZ ZTA AOP please don't get mad if you are paired with DKE SAE PHI and they refuse to pomp for homecoming RTR

By: OldRowSocialChair
by: lolApr 5, 2018 1:06:41 AM

DZ and AOPI should know better! ahahahahaahahhaa

By: lol
#4  by: ACTIVE   

I'd also like to add that the only times being Old Row can be used to your advantage is when during the annual "monster swap" and if you're running for a political position on campus that the machine has heavy influence over.

By: ACTIVE
by: activeSep 10, 2017 2:24:14 PM

Nah, Phi Mu isn't even invited to Monster Swap lol

By: active
by: HowApr 5, 2018 2:28:34 AM

But ATO gets invited and they aren’t Old Row?

By: How
by: noApr 5, 2018 1:23:46 PM

They aren't Old Row and I don't think they get invited. They might have been invited once before, but it was only once. ATO is one of the oldest new row fraternities

By: no
#5  by: Active   

It means you get to live in your OR sorority house until you're old as long as you pay dues and participate in all activities...hence the term "old row."

By: Active
#6  by: Look   

The top sororities and frats here tend to be old row just the way it is many try to argue it from new row

By: Look
#7  by: Eye roll    

Does OR mean much? No. But y'all act like OR are the only houses that care. I know so many NR girls who get all upset that they don't get the shirts from the brand, or the monster swap, or get to say they're an "Old Row" house. Not saying OR is better necessarily, but don't pretend all OR girls care about that status, but no NR girls do.

By: Eye roll
#8  by: Still obsessing about OR?   

Only new row obsesses about old row.

By: Still obsessing about OR?
by: AAASep 13, 2017 7:26:24 AM

TRUTH!!! And are the majority (98.9%) of people who make
all of the post on Greek Rank.

By: AAA
#9  by: Um....    

Phi Mu and ADPI are again Old Row/machine sororities . Your information is dated.

By: Um....
#10  by: tbh   

"old row" is only a thing on this campus for some reason it holds a status mainly only freshman care about but basically it's just some of the first established sororities on this campus even though sororities like adpi and pi phi were established nationally before every single old row house it really isn't that big of a deal they just get to buy an additional sweat shirt or t shirt and throw a swap that all the old row frats invite new row sorority girls to

By: tbh
by: kOct 9, 2018 1:07:21 PM

it goes a long with the machine which is still powerful don't get me wrong but all of new row and old row except for theta is apart of the machine now who the machine picks for each candidate is a different question but they are always well qualified for the position

By: k
by: tbhOct 9, 2018 1:10:34 PM

established before every old row sorority house my mistake

By: tbh

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.