facebook

national prestige

by: gigem

According to G. William Domhoff, in Who Rules America? (Seventh edition, p. 57), upper-class college women "joined one of the four or five sororities with nationwide social prestige (e.g. Kappa Kappa Gamma, Kappa Alpha Theta, Pi Beta Phi, and Delta Delta Delta)."

Posted By: gigem
Post Reply Report
Page 2 of 2
#11  by: Yawn   

His book included DDD too. Top wealth don't usually attend state universities so the only SEC wealthy school is Vanderbilt where Theta, Kappa, TriDelt are top. His findings are pretty accurate today.

By: Yawn
#12  by: Embarrassed   

Girls, you're all pretty; now, please let this thread get buried. Why the hell does this matter?

By: Embarrassed
#13  by: by the way   

Kappa was just an honorary? You can make anyone an honorary. That is not the same as pledging. This person as an agenda to make pkt out as the best but that simply is not true it depends on your region and theta is NOT good in florida. Trust me NO one really wants theta. Wealthy or not. Hahahaha

By: by the way
#14  by: actually   

this is the dumbest post I have read at this school. I am really starting to wonder if Texas A&M is as "top- tier" as I have been lead to believe. If I did not know of Texas A&M reputation and just read this site I would think you are not the quality that you think you are. The research needed to be done on this article is very manipulated. These schools that where listed above due to "having the most money" also have other "top tier" sororities there as well and to say a sorority is the "best" at a school is very subjective. Just to be in a good school you already have to be bright, capable, may be even connected depending on where you go so there really are no bad sororoties or even better sororities. Just by being there you are good and probably weathly.

By: actually
#15  by: agree   

and " these 4 sororities show up everywhere" in private/ivy league schools - so are alot of the other sororties as well - some are more wealthy then pkt. You needed to do better research on this. Your arguement was not well thought out. Even if you use just the southern private schools as your examples- emory, vanderbilt there are alot of other sororites- just as wealthy ore more as pkt - but if you notice ADP is at both Vanderbilt and EMory as well as most of the private schools listed above. Pi Phi is not at emory - Vanderbilt has over 14 sororities. IN fact there are several southern private schools (same cost or even higher than Vanderbilt, SMU and Tulane) such as Mercer, Elon and Rollins where PKT is not even present. I dont think PKT is a good example concerning the distribution of wealth in America (for sure not in the south)- there are to many factors that are involved now. To be honest I think girls are doing way above average in my opinion if you can even join a sorority.

By: agree
by: ActuallyMar 30, 2015 10:43:33 PM

TriDelt Kappa Theta PiPhi are top tier at the most exclusive schools in the country. Exclusive with admissions and wealth. The top schools in the south are: Virginia, William & Mary, Vanderbilt, Duke, Wake Forest, Emory, Tulane.

By: Actually
#16  by: Yes   

So true!

By: Yes
#17  by: but   

there are alot of other sororities that those schools you just listed as well. Also PTK or tridelta are not at all those schools you just listed -soooo not so much ex: Wake Forest does not have theta or Phi pi and Emory does not have Pi phi. Tridelta is not at Tulane. Virginia has a ton of great sororites and so does Vanderbilt. this is a funny thread. you just have an agenda.

By: but
#18  by: Stop   

All of y'all need to stop making a spectacle of yourselves. Even if Domohoff's claims are true (which through observation I tend to agree) why do y'all seem to equate wealth with being "better?" Those who defend him are being petty and elitist thinking that wealth makes better women and those being butthurt are being petty by being so easily provoked and being drawn into the corrupted logic that wealth = quality. You can be a gorgeous, gracious, intelligent woman without being rich. That's something some of y'all haven't grasped yet.

By: Stop
by: YesMar 31, 2015 4:58:15 PM

Exactly. There is a difference between class and wealth. Personally, my parents are both doctors who invested in real estate and equities so income wise we're probably in the top 1% but if I tried to call us "upper class" my dad would probably slap me for being a brat. Both of my parents are immigrants who were pretty poor when they came to this country, so even though we lived in a nice neighborhood, there was no Abercrombie clothes, no luxury cars, no eating out, no golf, no country club, no Junior League, etc. The girls my age at my school were going to Camp Waldemar/Mystic and taking etiquette courses while I on the other hand took summer swim team and visited my family in the old country. To this day I don't know fancy dinner manners, and I'd rather try to learn Mandarin instead of make small talk with a dull twit. Actually PKT + DDD at A&M isn't so bad but at SMU, TCU, UT they can be so snobby I want to punch their teeth out. "Upper class" isn't all that it's cracked out to be. But seriously, tacky nouveau riche people make me want to pull my hair out too.

By: Yes

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.