facebook

for real

by: Gig Em

Copied from a post on the UA GreekRank\n\n\n\n\nOkay, I’m an old sorority lady who comes and snoops on GR around this time of year to hear what everyone says. I pledged my house, ahem, twenty years ago. :)

On my pledge Jersey, there was a quote from Dave Matthews Babd (like I said, I’m old.). “It’s not where you are, but who you’re with that really matters.”

I didn’t necessarily understand the depth of that quote until I became older, went into the world, got married, had kids, built my career, etc. You will not be best friends with every single girl in your chapter or your pledge class, but you will definitely make friends. You will make friends outside of Greek life in college and may or may not maintain them.

But I can tell you this...you will make your chapter better or worse by your attitude about it. And after four years, you’ll move on and hopefully come back to help in an alum role, whether as an advisor, director or volunteer. But life after sorority gets real. And hopefully, if you go into it believing that you are with great women, you will have them for your wedding, or your divorce, or when you are going through a high risk pregnancy, when your child is diagnosed with a life threatening or terminal Iillness. It’s heavy stuff. This is a great opportunity to find people who will love and support you right now, but who will also be there when things get tougher. And it does get tougher, no matter what you might think. So go in remembering the Dave Matthews quote. “It’s not where you are, but who you’re with that really matters.”

Posted By: Gig Em
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: DMB   

Dave Matthews smokes too much weed.

By: DMB
by: Gig EmAug 11, 2018 11:09:47 AM

Just wow.

By: Gig Em
by: WeirdoAug 12, 2018 3:33:36 PM

You read posts from other colleges? Walk away from the keyboard.

By: Weirdo
by: huh?Aug 12, 2018 3:35:30 PM

"you will have them for... your divorce"? WTF

By: huh?
by: DuhAug 12, 2018 6:54:17 PM

Yeah, believe it or not, people get divorced. It’s called life, little baby.

By: Duh
#2  by: Mental alert    

You need help!

By: Mental alert
by: LoserAug 12, 2018 2:34:03 PM

Oh, lighten up. Drama queen.

By: Loser
#3  by: Crazy    

Some people take college way too seriously

By: Crazy
#4  by: Duh   

I’m pretty sure what the OP is saying is that you shouldn’t worry about the letters you’re wearing. The most important part of joining a sorority is focusing on who you will be with in those years and that some of those friends will still be with you later as you go through hard stuff. It’s amazing what little trolls some of you are.

By: Duh
by: Huh?Aug 13, 2018 11:57:47 AM

We can read.

By: Huh?

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.