facebook

a warning to those considering men's orgs

by: Aggie Greek

Made a post about this in another thread but I believe it's an important enough point that everyone needs to see.

During rush, too many people unfortunately sell their fraternity based only on the social experiences surrounding it, and often neglect the other perks that go along with being a member (which I get because most rushees are dumb-ass freshmen who think only about partying). Almost all chapters are national or international organizations that are over well over 100 years old (some are even older than A&M) and have well established alumni connections. With these connections come great scholarship opportunities and the ability to connect with brothers from other universities across the country. Personally I have been able to travel to several other colleges and hung out with the brothers in other chapters and had a great time. Also during a job interview my now boss noticed that I was in the same fraternity as his son at another university. Although it ceratainly wasn't the only reason I got this job, I strongly believe it helped in some bit. There are several other benefits like this that you simply cannot receive with joining a Men's Org but I don't feel like listing them.

I have to note that I'm not trying to bash Men's Orgs and have several good friends in them. If your parents are the type of people who will never let you join a fraternity, then I do recommend them and you will probably have a good experience. However, if you want to join an organization that you can be a part of or benefit you after graduation, rush a fraternity.

Posted By: Aggie Greek
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Another Greek    

totally agree with this - only thing i’d beg to differ on is the “alumni and networking and connections” part because even though they’re not as great/huge as a frat’s network, men’s orgs still do have alumni and connections, it’s not like they’re nonexistent

from the guys i know and have met, a lot of guys in all men’s orgs would probably fit in great with any of the 18 or 19 frats we have here - but i guess they just didn’t want to be pegged as a “frat guy” and so they just settled for a similar sort of experience - and there’s no pledgeship for men’s orgs, so that’s probably a factor as well ... Be honest, when you describe an Aggie men’s org to someone not an Aggie, you pretty much just say “It’s sorta like a frat, but not really”

By: Another Greek
by: Aggie greekMay 16, 2018 1:49:27 PM

I'm not saying they don't have any sort of alumni network, but I would compare it that of a local fraternity. They simply cannot compete and don't have the dedication to their organization as a fraternity with 100s of chapters. If I were to describe a men's orgs it would be a watered down fraternity that doesn't have the benefits or respect as the real thing. Again not judging anyone about joining one but think of the long term benefits of both.

By: Aggie greek
by: YesJun 10, 2018 7:53:28 PM

Definitely agree... Mens orgs have little-to-no alumni connections and literally zero national connections

By: Yes
#2  by: ..   

Bump

By: ..
#3  by: ..   

This is true and all...but Men’s orgs guys are still nice though

By: ..
by: So ...Jul 1, 2018 1:21:04 AM

^ no one said they weren’t nice guys.... they’re all just talking about the realistic facts about joining one of those orgs vs. joining a frat.

By: So ...
#4  by: Hm   

Men's org guys arent that bad though ..

By: Hm
#5  by: Actually   

I think a lot of guys join men’s orgs because they are concerned about making their grades during pledge semester. Kids in hard majors can’t afford to start their programs with awful grades......why so many frat guys are Blynn etc.

By: Actually
#6  by: cool   

very true^

By: cool
#7  by: not   

BUMP

By: not

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.