facebook

aggies who chose tamu over ut, why?

by: CP12

I have the opportunity to go to both schools but i can't make up my mind. My major is equal in terms of ranking at both schools so now I'm comparing the social scenes now. It seems like UT in theory beats A&M on every aspect but I just really like A&M for some reason.

UT pros: higher scale frat events, not being in the middle of nowhere, 6th street, Big 12 football
A&M pros: Bigger apartments/cottages, if I dont end up going Greek still plenty to do, less distractions, school spirit, Jimbo Fisher coming to town, Aggie Network (kinda oversaled, but I like how loyalty is emphasized)
I know these reason are kinda corny, but I really cannot decide so I'm pulling every reason I can think of.
I would really love to hear more reasons on why to attend TAMU over UT.

Posted By: CP12
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Conservative   

Also Big 12 football over SEC football?! Are you serious😂😂👌🏼 SEC is the greatest conference of all time.

By: Conservative
by: CP12Jan 30, 2018 2:26:31 PM

It's definitely the better conference, I just like the fact that the Big 12 has all Texas teams and the proximity of them.

By: CP12
#2  by: Opinions   

Just for context, I'm from Austin, went to a nicer public high school in Austin, and to be perfectly honest I do love my hometown and I've always supported UT. But I chose A&M because as a whole it is a LOT more unpretentious. UT is just freaking big, and it can be really easy to get ovewhelmed with distractions and food, fun, and activities. In College Station, I LIKE that most of the time there's nothing else to do except hang out with friends, study, and football. It's much more college-y and feels more like the students are a community. In Austin, it feels like everyone else is trying to be more cool or cultured than you. There's also more Old Money in Greek Life at UT as well, and it's just a different vibe altogether.

When I first got here, I was a little disappointed in how little there was to do here other than go to parties and as a whole it was pretty frustrating how close minded many people are. However, once you find your niche, things get a lot better. The two campuses are so large, there's always going to be a place for you to fit in.

I guess which school you choose depends on where you're from and what you want to do in college. I can spend most of my time concentrated on school and go home for entertainment as often as I want (only a 2 hour drive either way) but might be different if you're from a smaller town.

By: Opinions
by: .Jan 27, 2018 8:36:39 PM

I’m from Houston and didn’t find that college station was every lacking in things to do. There’s a lot more than football and class to do here.. you just must not have looked outside of your box.

By: .
by: RAJan 28, 2018 1:03:38 PM

I mean I’m from Houston too, and while I do love the BCS area, it's way too much to say that anything you can find in a big city you can find here too. That's just simply not true. There's so much food, culture, and diversity that you can't get here. And that's okay! It makes everyone here feel more like they're a part of the Aggie community, which is a plus in my opinion,

By: RA
by: YaJan 28, 2018 3:37:07 PM

Of course big cities have more to offer than college station. What I’m saying is that as a student in a big city like Austin or Houston you doing little to nothing of a noticeable difference in your day to day life than an Aggie is doing in college station. We all do the same things: go to class, eat, go to the bars, go to frat parties, musical festivals (acl/chilliest), coffee shops, library, etc. as an adult, ya there’s a big difference but not as a student.

By: Ya
#3  by: Money   

Jonny chose this school I can’t think of a better ambassador

By: Money
#4  by: Um   

If you want to have more spending cash to do things like: go to concerts, study abroad, go shopping, go out to eat, go to music festivals, go out on weekends, have more vacations, have a nicer place to live, etc. go to tamu. Simple.

By: Um
#5  by: Better   

Cost of living is way better in CS than Austin. The people who attend A&M are less pretentious and more down to earth. CS is way more laid back than Austin and not full of a bunch of "trying to be weird for weirds sake" people.

Most important - the post graduation network is huge and will help you get jobs after college.

By: Better
#6  by: Big Difference   

UT is more pretentious and snobbier than A&M, for sure. Greek life especially. Older, bigger, higher profile greek scene altogether.

More old money at UT. Higher ranked university over all (it's considered a "Public Ivy"). Larger endowment, earlier entry into AAU, lower acceptance ratio.

UT is harder to get into (more prestigious). UT is connected to a top 10 law school, MD Anderson, more dental and medical schools, etc.

UT has a deeper, more successful sports history. UT sucks on the football field now but still out recruits A&M; that sorta sums it up.

UT and College Station are both great but super different. Both schools are fun but super different.

By: Big Difference
by: .Feb 17, 2018 4:20:06 PM

I wouldn’t argue older money goes to UT. plenty of wealthy kids at A&M who come from deep oil money.

Texas A&M has a bigger endowment than UT.

Texas A&m is wealthier than UT overall- wealthiest public school in the nation to be exact.

UT law is never ranked in the top 10... great school and always top 20 but no one says it’s top 10.

UT is only ranked higher depending on who you ask. Many ranking systems consistently rank A&M higher. If A&M matches UTs auto accept rate we would get ranked higher even more often. UT keeps their auto admit low to appear more prestigious. But that doesn’t mean you won’t get in if you’re out of the top 7%. Infact most top 10% student do get in after review.

In conclusion, get off our Greek rank tsip

By: .
by: ^^^^^^Feb 17, 2018 6:10:24 PM

haha
UT is richer than tamu. The little calculation you are talking about compares tamu system to UT Austin. UT System is 20 bil, smoking tamu system.

You're right on UT Law; it's 14. Where is Aggie Law ranked?

There's a reason UT is more pretentious. More moneyed kids. Even your greeks are cheap. Builds, dues, signature parties, etc.

US World always ranks UT higher. every.single.time.

And what did you say about tamu's lack of medical and dental schools?? nothing.

tamu only got into AAU when UT sponsored y'all (way after UT was in). this is hugely significant.

UT gets more nat'l R&D $ than tamu

The auto-admit stuff is just rambling with no support. It's harder to get in UT.

There's a reason UT gets 2/3 of the PUF and tamu...doesn't.

By: ^^^^^^
by: @ Big DifferenceFeb 18, 2018 1:29:34 PM

You don't know what my background is so don't assume. Having a medical school (not a vet school) attached is most assuredly a mark of higher achievement. That's why lower ranked schools like UH are trying to get one (to raise their stature). The fact that y'all just purchased a (cut rate) law school speaks to the same. And no, you aren't comparing apples to apples on the endowment. Ours is larger flagship to flagship, system to system. I don't care what coach y'all just hired, tamu has never enjoyed the success that UT has. There is a reason tamu is not lumped in with the other public ivys. There is a reason why UT is a longer-term member of the AAU.I think tamu is a great school, it's just that it's always been 2nd to UT in every measurable way.

By: @ Big Difference
by: LolFeb 18, 2018 2:07:42 PM

In every measurable way.

That statement is laughable at best. Please go back to your Greek rank and worry about your public Ivey.

FYI, public Ivey is not a thing and tamu currently competes with Texas in every way imaginable. Clinging on to history is getting y’all nowhere If you can’t tell. But high schools students can, that’s why more and more students are choosing a&m over ut, myself included.

By: Lol
#7  by: what   

You can't figure it out? 2 totally different experiences. Decide which one you want. DUH

By: what

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.