facebook

should i just skip rush/recruitment?

by: truth please

Okay, so I'm looking for the honest truth. I'm a bigger girl. I'm hearing from everyone that I will only get into one of two sororities. I'm fine with that as that I have heard really good things about these two sororities. I also heard those two sororities do continue recruitment after formal recruitment and I could join then. I really don't want to deal with rush if everyone really is going to drop me based on my size (hey, I was born this way). So if you were me, would you just skip the formal thing and go to the unofficial recruitment afterwards?

Posted By: truth please
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: Yes!   

You will never know until you try! Go in with an open mind and positive attitude. Recruitment is also a great way to meet a lot of people even when you don't end up in the same house. Do it!

By: Yes!
by: ^^^Jul 30, 2014 8:01:13 PM

I'm honestly confused. Why would you tell someone to go through an experience where every house will drop them based on the way God made their body?

By: ^^^
by: MerryJul 31, 2014 12:28:32 AM

Everyone WILL NOT DROP HER! There are bigger girls in every house and you know that. She will probably have a tougher time as a bigger girl but that doesn't mean she won't find her home. Stop being so negative.

By: Merry
by: @ MerryJul 31, 2014 10:33:55 AM

I think you are considering "bigger girls" to be a size 8 - 14. What if a PNM is a size 24? Would your sorority be inclusive then? Just something to think about?

By: @ Merry
#2  by: well...   

It really is a personal choice. You aren't guaranteed that those two houses will have anything open afterward. But I do understand that Rush can be very difficult.

By: well...
#3  by: honestly   

Rush is brutal on heavy girls!!!

By: honestly
by: ^^^Jul 30, 2014 7:59:54 PM

I'm hearing this more and more. I'm feeling that maybe sorority is something I shouldn't do. If there were a skinny pill, believe me, I would have taken it years ago. This is how God made me, and I'm going to celebrate the gifts I was given in others ways.

By: ^^^
#4  by: depends   

How big are you? 10,12,14,16,18,20?

By: depends
by: @ dependsJul 31, 2014 10:35:03 AM

Size 10 -16 is not even "big." None of this should really matter anyway. Sadly it does.

By: @ depends
by: WutJul 31, 2014 11:29:39 AM

On no planet ever is a size 16 not big. Or even 14 or 12. 10 is pushing it. You are in denial!

By: Wut
#5  by: Hmm   

I won't lie to you. Recruitment will probably be hard for you and that isn't fair. BUT that doesn't mean you don't have a chance. I would recommend you go through it though because this way chapters know you are interested. if you pledge a sorority-Awesome! That's great! If you don't and you decide you are still interested, you can contact the sororities doing open recruitment after formal and they will see that because you went through recruitment, you are truly interested in being a member.

Ultimately, the decision is up to you. But I have to say, if you decide to go through recruitment: be confident and be yourself! Good luck, I hope you are happy with whatever you choose to do!

By: Hmm
#6  by: Purple    

Do not give up the opportunity to go Greek. You have just as much right to go through recruitment as anyone else. I don't think people are trying to make you give up, they just want to prepare you so you are not blindsided. All good things in life are worth fighting for.

By: Purple
by: @ purpleJul 31, 2014 10:36:25 AM

I agree she has just as much right to go Greek. But I do understand not wanting to set yourself up for humiliation.

By: @ purple
#7  by: okay   

OP asked for the honest truth and she got it. The truth is that recruitment is brutal on the bigger girls. I think we have to start asking ourselves..... Do we want to emphasize our Christian faith, or do we want to be known as the hottest university our there? If we are going to keep the word Christian in our title, then we should practice inclusiveness and worry more about how PNMs can help us serve or philanthropies, then how fraternities will view them.

By: okay
#8  by: if    

If everyone just loved their own bodies and didn't worry about the bodies of others, it would be a much more peaceful world. But a lot of industries would go out of business.

By: if
#9  by: be yourself   

Honestly I would go through recruitment and see what happens! You never know until you try and if you decide to not join a sorority or decide it isn't for you once you are going through it then at least you know you tried and that would help you know that it just isn't for you. I know plenty of girls who are all shapes and sizes in every sorority. Although you may be looked at differently for your first impression you can easily change the women's view of you by being yourself and showing them all of your great qualities! I wouldn't worry too much about this! Just maximize your options every day, present yourself in a classy matter, and make sure you look your best and feel confident! You will find your place no matter if it is in the Greek community or somewhere else! But it never hurts to try!

By: be yourself
#10  by: Greek Girl   

This is a hard question. Recruitment doesn't allow people to get to really know you so shallow as it is looks do carry importance in the process. However, if you maximize all your invites you should receive a bid. Being Greek has a lot of advantages which a girl shouldn't have to miss out on because of size. I hope you will try recruitment and end up with a house do sisters that you are supported and loved in. That is what being Greek is supposed to be about. Good luck to you and know lots of us support you even though we don't know you.

By: Greek Girl

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.