facebook

new to rushing

by: New_Rusher

I'm really interested in joining a fraternity, but I'm new to this game as my family traditionally hasn't been involved in Greek life. I filled out my initial application, but do I need to apply to each house as well? Also, how the heck to rec letters work (do I need them from legacy people from each house or anyone?). In addition, I don't really care about ranking, but I want a balance between grades and partying (I need to get a 3.25 or above for scholarship $$$, and brotherhood is very important to me, more so than parties I'd say). Also, this is random, but do I really have to get "fratty" clothes? I don't have anything against it, I just don't own polo, vineyard vines, Lacoste etc (although I consider myself to be pretty well dressed). Thanks for the help guys and gals, proud to join the horned frog legacy

Posted By: New_Rusher
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: chio   

Welcome to TCU! I'm a girl so not exactly sure about how logistics for recruitment goes for the guys, but I can give my opinion on your other concerns. If you have an academic scholarship, I'm assuming grades are important to you. If so, I'd look at Beta, Sig Ep and Pi Kap. These are the frats known for smart guys but they also have very strong brotherhoods and are really involved on campus. These frats have super fun events and mixers but aren't hard core partiers like some of the other frats. They get crap from the other guys because they're gentlemen and care about more than just getting wasted. As far as wardrobe, you see a lot of khaki shorts and sperrys, but a mixture of polo, t-shirts and button downs work. Obviously anything purple is good too! Brands don't seem to matter that much with the guys. Good luck, go Greek and go Frogs!!!

By: chio
by: ToadJul 20, 2014 11:46:21 PM

A great answer/at least from this Greek girls point of view

By: Toad
#2  by: frawgz   

You don't need to go out and buy anything. What frats hate the most is a rushee who looks like he just read a tfm column and bought every single brand out there. Then you're a poser. If you go into rush dressed as you normally would on campus, then you'll find the one during rush that you fit in the most with. Not to say that dressing is a huge part of rush, but the main thing is just don't act like a weenie and you'll be fine. Like ^ said, if you're looking for grades rather than partying id look into sigep pi kapp and beta. They focus a lot more on grades and involvement, and because so they're pledgeships are academic and involvement based, rather than hazing. What it really all comes down to tho is your brothers. You have to ask yourself, "is it worth hanging out with these guys for the next 4 years just to keep my grades up?" Go into rush looking for brotherhood, and the grades will come.

By: frawgz
by: FrattyJul 21, 2014 2:50:57 AM

Just be real so you can connect with real guys that you will relate to.

By: Fratty
#3  by: TCU   

Just do you. Wear what you normally wear, act like you would with dudes back home and ask the questions you're really interested in. You want to be real so that you find the right fit. That's what it's about. Not one size fits all and neither does one fraternity. What's right for you may not be right for someone else and that's okay.

By: TCU
#4  by: Purple Proud   

This thread looks like it has good information for you boys. It seems way better than any hate filled spew.

By: Purple Proud
#5  by: Hey   

Maybe this will help answer some of your questions.

By: Hey

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.