facebook

rush

by: Newbie

Me and my best friend have both been accepted to TCU and she is on the fence about attending. I keep talking how much fun it will be especially rush. She is not so sure as she is black and thinks TCU is very exclusive and will not be open to minorities and she will not get any bids. I'm really trying to get her to attend, but she is scared the experience will not be positive, and is leaning towards other university; Can anyone give honest feedback on this topic?

Posted By: Newbie
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: Newbie   

I find really interesting that no one is willing to honestly comment on my post. I just want my BFF to make the right decision, if the TCU Panhellenic sororities are not willing to accept her because of her race then please be upfront so that she doesn't go through huge disappointment. I know it is the elephant in the room, put please comment just looking for honest feedback.

By: Newbie
#2  by: Nowadays   

Yes, the truth is that there a few houses that will not be as welcoming and she will know them when she enters their doors. These are the same houses that mock other groups for being "multicultural", like its a put down. However, those groups are the minority. Most chapters have people of all races and would welcome a good pledge with open arms. These are the houses she woukd want anyway. TCU is a wonderful school with lots of opportunity for her. The groups with the issues probably exsist everywhere but their numbers are shrinking.

By: Nowadays
by: WelcomeJan 25, 2014 9:21:06 PM

She will be fine. Don't let a small fraction of mean girls keep her away from this great place!

By: Welcome
#3  by: Rush   

Some houses might not take her, but there are many houses on campus that she would definitely get a bid from! At TCU, if you rush, and maximize your houses everyday meaning you put down the most amount of houses that you have for the day, then you are guaranteed a bid!

By: Rush
by: NewbieJan 25, 2014 5:13:30 PM

Thanks for the feedback, she really wants to go to TCU, just not sure about the social scene, as we attend private school and there is no separation of friends because of skin color.

By: Newbie
by: WordJan 26, 2014 2:43:27 PM

Have heard this wasn't the case last year. There were around 1000 girls who rushed and not everyone who put every house down got a bid.

By: Word
by: TcuFeb 14, 2014 6:11:50 PM

Lots of chapters will welcome her and do the others deserve her time?

By: Tcu
#4  by: yes   

If she has good grades, a good resume and a nice personality, there are several houses who will want her.

By: yes
#5  by: TCU   

Her bank account is more important to these kinds of houses than her color.

By: TCU
by: YepFeb 6, 2014 12:07:35 AM

If you have enough $$$ you can be just about anything and get a bid from the houses that care about that, you better be a triple legacy for Chi O, your zip code is a fettish for DDD and then there are the houses that want good sisters. She should be fine with them if she has a good personality.

By: Yep
#6  by: Tcu   

There are some "tradional" houses who are not open to diversity line they should be but the vast majority of our chapters have women of all races.

By: Tcu
#7  by: 14+   

There is more predjutice about your families income here than your color. Tell her to stay guarded around the "southern" chapters. LOTS of houses will welcome her if she is a great girl with Rec letters and strong grades.

By: 14+
by: AnswerFeb 23, 2014 8:06:40 PM

This is good advise "southern" groups will be tougher but lots options are available.

By: Answer
by: FrogMar 22, 2014 1:07:41 AM

I know DG, Chi O, Gamma Phi, Pi Phi...have members of color now. Many houses want more diversity so in a wired way this may help her. I won't call out the "southern" houses that might not be as welcoming because she will know when she entered those houses. Too many good choices await her to not come.

By: Frog
by: TCU May 2, 2014 10:38:59 PM

Good advice. If she has strong grades, rec letters and is genuine she will be fine. Do not miss out on this opportunity.

By: TCU
#8  by: Rush   

She will have lots of houses that will be options for her. She definitely should not let this fear discourage her from coming through recruitment.

#9  by: Rush    

She will not be as welcome in some chapters but most do not care at all about race they are the houses that matter.

#10  by: Howdy   

She will be fine!!!

By: Howdy

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.