facebook

Solid Fraternities and UMN Greek System

by: UMN

It seems like there are only 5-6 sizeable fraternities at the U (70 plus members). Is the membership smaller in fraternities due to having smaller chapter houses at the U or something else? I live in the Twin Ciites and a lot of the chapter houses on University Ave look fairly small from the outside. It seems like the Greek system is less popular at the U for guys than at many other large Midwestern schools. The U is so spread out with its three campuses and I would think that the Greek system could help such a massive place feel more welcoming. I am a parent of a potential student and I am inclined to encourage my son to get involved in the Greek system because being a part of a sorority was a great experience for me in college and as an alumna. Which fraternities at the U have strong brotherhoods, a healthy membership size, and quality guys who are genuine? Also, do the fraternities recruit year round at the U or only through formal recruitment?

Posted By: UMN
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Advice   

Personally, I'd recommend Beta. Class of '19 former sorority girl and the guys I met there were always really nice, placed emphasis on academics, and seemed to have genuine brotherhoods. DTD and Fiji pretty good too. Minnesota IFC has house tours from each frat on their youtube page, they help get a better feel for the vibes. And idk if they do informal recruitment in the spring, but I don't think so?

By: Advice
by: HeyJul 20, 2021 10:32:03 PM

Some do informal. Sorority girl here too wouldn’t recommend beta

By: Hey
#2  by: BMP   

SigEp has demonstrated a commitment to creating a new normal for fraternities. In the last two years, SigEp has removed pledging from its membership experience and established substance-free chapter houses as the nationwide standard. We’ve done away with archaic and dangerous activities. We believe these steps were necessary to accomplish our mission of promoting academic excellence and empowering our young men to lead with integrity, not just now but for the rest of their lives. Our entire society as America benefits from a generation of values-based leaders.

By: BMP
by: ItsJul 18, 2021 9:54:05 PM

Did the Sig Ep brother get out of state prison?

By: Its
by: LolJul 20, 2021 10:20:14 PM

Calm down Sig ep your national reputation is ruined for years maybe try not raping girls and you’ll get some quality guys

By: Lol
by: Too bad thatAug 30, 2021 9:50:24 PM

1/2 ur brothers play for "the other side."

By: Too bad that
by: AnonAug 31, 2021 9:20:29 AM

Bruh stfu this is such cap

By: Anon
#3  by: Alumni   

The houses may look small but they are all deep so they are bigger than you think even if class sizes are smaller than 70. Encourage your kid to tour all the houses, he will be contacted by some via text but showing interest in many will benefit him so he should go to all the open houses- a lot of guys only go for the big frats but looking at and talking to all of them will make it clear where he feels like he belongs - spending time in the houses talking to members will make his decision clear - he will be fine! Almost all the houses have good brotherhoods and if they don’t I’m sure he will be able to sniff that out

By: Alumni
#4  by: Aw   

Good mama. Don’t worry Greek life at the U is nothing like down south he will be okay no matter where he ends up. I would encourage him to go Greek the campus is so big it makes meeting people and life easier.

By: Aw
#5  by: Hha    

I would not worry that the U has 3 campuses there are class rooms spread out but unless you’re specialized to that like animal science or nutrition you won’t be sent to St. Paul or across the river unless you voluntarily sign up for an elective over there. There is one dorm in St. Paul and one in riverside, if you end up in one of those try as hard as possible to get moved but it is extremely unlikely unless u enroll super late that you’ll be placed there.

By: Hha
#6  by: GR   

Bumping

By: GR

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.