facebook

rushing fraternities fall 2013

by: Gopher Greek

I will be attending the U of M in Fall 2013 as a freshman. I'm from far away and considering going greek. What should I know about Greek life here and what are the fraternities like? Which are truly the top houses and which are rising/falling?

Posted By: Gopher Greek
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: Greek   

Top 3 right now are
SAE
Sigep
PIKE

Lower top tier are
Sigma Chi(cause of the trouble)
Phi Psi

Upper middle
Fiji
Chi Psi
Delta Chi

Lower Middle
Beta
SNU
TKE

Everyone else is irrelevant.

Greek life isn't huge, we don't party like most other state schools. I'd still advise going greek but it isn't insane like other schools. Join a house you fit at, most of these houses have girls from top tier houses come by. Albeit some more than others. \n\n\n\n\n

By: Greek
by: umngreekApr 14, 2013 6:57:02 PM

TKE is certainly upper-middle tier and they're certainly on the rise. Remember, TKE was the only house on campus that had a two-digit pledge class for spring rush. Where do you think they're gonna be in one or two years?

By: umngreek
by: umngreekApr 14, 2013 7:05:16 PM

Also, SigEp sucks as a fraternity. The reason they are considered a top tier house is because they basically bid every incoming freshman in Carlson. Also, the brotherhood in SigEp sucks. If you wanna be in a house where you know only 10% of your brothers, go SigEp.

And SAE is a pretty good fraternity, in case you might hear a lot of rumors about them.

By: umngreek
by: RichardShermanJan 23, 2014 2:59:15 PM

Honestly, Might be the most fair thing I've seen on here.

By: RichardSherman
by: greekJan 26, 2014 7:15:24 PM

i would also say this is accurate although i wouldnt even include beta on this list and would switch snu with chi psi and switch fiji with dchi

By: greek
by: Yeah rightFeb 1, 2014 8:35:13 PM

People love to take shots at Sigep for who they recruit, but the truth is look at their retention and top grades every semester and you'll know they don't bid anyone. Lots of jealousy flying around on this site...

By: Yeah right
#2  by: HAHA   

U of M Greek life is a joke. Don't waste your time

By: HAHA
by: S.A.GApr 28, 2013 5:04:47 PM

Agreed. Look at professional and/ or service greeks. These are the Co-Ed Greeks at UMN and they are more well organized, they get along with each other better and to much more on campus than the regular fraternities. Besides, the CO-ed Greeks do not get into trouble. IFC Greek are always in trouble or getting shut down.

By: S.A.G
by: DouchemongerMay 1, 2013 12:43:06 PM

Have fun with your social clubs. You allow women into your brotherhood? Not sure how that works.

By: Douchemonger
#3  by: RealTalk   

The commenter above is obviously a TKE, the only reason they have a large spring pledge class is because they bid anything with a pulse, and all the strong chapters are done recruiting for the year.

Sigep and SAE are clearly on top, followed by Sigma Chi and Pike. SAE is alot of very similar west-metro guys, and Sigep is a little more diverse. I am not sure why Sigep gets a bad wrap for being the biggest on campus, they have the highest grades and strong relations with the big 3 sororities (APhi, KKG, PiPhi). Most of the other chapters think they matter, but dont.

With that said, UMN Greek life seems to be on the upswing, so join the house you connect with most.

By: RealTalk
#4  by: GopherGreek   

Top:
Sig Ep
SAE
Pike
Sig Chi

Upper Middle:
Phi Psi
Delta Chi

Middle:
Fiji
TKE
Chi Psi

Lower Middle:
Sigma Nu
Beta

Sig Ep gets a bad reputation for recruiting, but they still are a power in the community and hang out with all of the girls.

Fiji will rise quickly if they can stay off probation, but they party as hard as anyone.

TKE has recruited a lot of good guys but some questionably ones as well. They recruited well in the spring because no one else tried, and if they keep going into next fall they'll keep climbing fast.

Sigma Chi was close to falling to upper middle, but they have recovered well from the incident and are going to have a social calendar again, so they'll stay toward the top.

By: GopherGreek
#5  by: honest   

SAE gets their own type of guy and always will
SigChi will have the toughest time out of the top 4 because of the recent trouble
Pike has gotten the best pledge classes for the last year or two
SigEp has been around for a long time and is a good choice to rush

the rest will take the scraps

By: honest
#6  by: sorority   

From a girl in a top houses perspective.... Sig Ep is the best house. Most genuine guys who care about studying and they actually make an effort to get to know us girls on a personal level. I mean they are frat guys so naturally they are a little douchey but are truly amazing guys. Rush sig ep.

By: sorority
by: Haha ^May 7, 2013 6:07:31 PM

Considering sigep is the sorority of fraternites I would not be surprised if that was a sigep recruitment person. They give you a bid as soon as you walk in. Your a member. They don't have a pledge class because they have no pledging

By: Haha ^
#7  by: UMNFratGuy   

This is my opinion, I'm not going by size I am going by popularity and quality of men
Top:
Chi Psi
SNU
PIKE
Upper Middle:
SAMMIES
Delt
ATO
D. Chi
Phi Psi
Middle:
SAE
AGR
SigEp
Beta
FH
Lower Middle:
Sigma Pi
TKE
Sigma Chi
PhiSig
Cellar Dwellers:
DU
KSig
PhiDelt
PhiKaps
ADPhi
Triangle

By: UMNFratGuy
by: GoferMay 9, 2013 11:47:50 AM

Guy has no idea what he is talking about ^.

By: Gofer
by: mnGreekMay 13, 2013 3:23:20 PM

Wow you are a complete idiot, sorry you joined a bottom tier house.

By: mnGreek
by: HahaMay 14, 2013 5:22:29 PM

this list is a joke. wow. SAE and SigEp are middle with the saint paul frats haha

By: Haha
by: So wrongMay 17, 2013 2:28:01 AM

do you even go here?

By: So wrong
#8  by: sorority   

Coming from a sorority member, SAE, SigEp, SigChi and PIKE are definitely the top houses.

I tend to see PIKE having the best brotherhood. Forget what that guy said above, there is not one person that would try to take advantage of a passed out girl in PIKE.

Then would be like DCHI, Phi Psi, and I definitely think that FIJI, TKE and Sig Nu are on the rise.

And then everyone else is practically irrelevant.

By: sorority
by: unbiased greekMay 11, 2013 10:09:51 PM

The kid's rushing fraternities, not sororities. If he's going to get advice on brotherhood, it should probably come from someone who knows about brotherhood, don't you think?

As I said before Pike is a fine house, but there is actually at least one Pike who would try to take advantage of a girl seeing as how I've witnessed it firsthand and helped put a stop to it. I'm not trying to say it's reflective of who they are, but don't you think that's something people ought to know when considering to join or associate with a group?

Look, guy, if you want to rush a fraternity in the fall, you're going to have the time of your life and become closer than you ever could have imagined with a great group of guys in just about every house on row. By the time you're a senior or an alum of the University, you're going to come to find that the specific house you were in doesn't really matter. What's important is finding the house you fit in at. And just being Greek of course. I and many others have formed many connections with people in the real world through being able to bond over being fellow Greeks, despite hailing from different houses.

Just one perspective to keep in mind.

By: unbiased greek
by: no...Dec 5, 2013 7:44:22 AM

@unbiasedgreek

to say that you saw a pike do that might be true, but I could probably fine a million other sorority girls on this campus that can say theyve seen an incident like that at almost any house they've been at. Not at all condoning it and I hope you talked some sense into that kid because I tend to party there from time to time! But back to my point, I agree with what you said in your last paragraph in support of greek life as a whole but dont say your unbiased and then go and put down one specific fraternity.

By: no...
#9  by: Honestly   

Look at Pike, SigEp and SAE. Those three are the best.

By: Honestly
#10  by: mnGreek   

Sigep has the top grades, top man power, and top sorority relations. People who make up lies about their recruiting policies are just sad they joined a lower house. I have no idea how PIKE doesn't get a bad rap for handing out 45+ bids and only keeping 25 guys.

Top 3 are Sigep, SAE, and PIKE.

Followed by: Dchi and SigChi

Everyone else is jealous.

By: mnGreek

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.