facebook

should oos go to ole miss

by: Need Help

I really like ole miss and have basically decided to go here, but from what I hear, OOS students hate their experience and are told not to come. Is this true? I know college is generally what you make of it, but I don’t want to go to a college that already has cliques

Posted By: Need Help
Post Reply Report
Page 2 of 3
#11  by: @Chill   

The State of Mississippi is undergoing an impressive educational metamorphosis preparing the state’s workforce for future needs. Ole Miss’s contributions to this are notable and convinced us to give Ole Miss a chance. The greek life could be viewed as a benefit to the university if the put-downs between sororities could be negated to create a sisterhood to held the entire campus and state. It is quite possibly older alumni or unhappy individuals who are not on board with the changing educational aspirations of the State drag the reputation of the individual Houses down on this site. Oxford is a gorgeous town and the few blemishes of alumni who party with coeds and vomit on this site drags all of us down. I admire those who impart information to those who seek it in a kind non-malicious manner. It shows who has self-condidence.

By: @Chill
#12  by: OOS/OOR   

Well if 43% percent of the Ole Miss population is OOS students it is difficult to believe that every single one of them is unhappy. And considering that number seems to be growing I would say that at least some of them actually like it here. Some people just aren't cut out for college and some people really do need to stay closer to home. But if you are willing to come here and meet people you should be fine. However as far as the sororities go if you are OOS/OOR the middle tier sororitys are the ones you want to aim for. Those are the upper tier for the OOS/OOR girls, and honestly the OOS girls in the sororitys have as good or better resumes that the in-state upper tier sororitys.

By: OOS/OOR
by: dummyDec 6, 2017 4:45:19 AM

no one said every single one of them is unhappy. most are unhappy.

And don't say 43% is out of state and round up and say 1/2 the school is out of state, LOL.
43% is out of state, school is 7% international students. So, now you are down to 36% actual out of state. Most athletes, honors college etc who don't usually rush are out of state, small percentage of the school, maybe 5% of the school. So now you are at 31%. About half rush. So about 15% actually try greek life. Now about 10-12% of that 15% are legacies.

Half of the top tier (kd, chio, ddd, dg) are out of state. and you know those out of stater's are legacies. In fact being a legacy >> in state. So subtract 10-12% from 15% and you get 3-5% of the school are out of state, want to rush, and are not legacy.

By: dummy
by: What?Dec 6, 2017 11:36:42 AM

You need to learn to read. I didn't say half of Ole Miss students were OOS, I stated 43% were OOS and I got that information from the school website. And most of your 'stats' are just guesses. I'm not sure what you are trying to prove with your 'stats' but you sound like one of those miserable people who should have stayed home.

By: What?
#13  by: ...   

Did someone seriously pay to have my previous post removed, lol!!! You'll be spending a lot of $$$ because I will def be re-posting every time. Ridiculous!

hottytoddy.com /2017/03/04/state-state-enrollment-ole-miss/

Stats regarding Percent of Student Population:

57.6% MS
6.4% TX
6.0% GA
6.0% TN
24.0% Other

"Non-Mississippi residents enrolled at Ole Miss come from all 50 states as well as 90 different countries."

“This year we welcomed the largest freshman class in our history. Our total enrollment for this year hit a record 24,250. Enrollment at Ole Miss has grown by 38% in the last decade and 14% in the last five years,” said an admissions counselor for the university.

By: ...
#14  by: ...   

Just out...

news.olemiss.edu /um-enrolls-23780-students-fall-semester/

"This year’s freshman class of 3,697 students includes a greater percentage of Mississippi residents, 45.4 percent – a 2.5 percent increase over last year. It also has a higher percentage of minorities, 21.2 percent, than last year’s entering class.

Incoming freshmen posted an average ACT score of 25.04. The class’ average high school GPA of 3.59, up from last year’s 3.57, is a university record.

This year’s first-time students include 85 class valedictorians, 69 salutatorians, 89 student body presidents, 107 Eagle Scouts and 20 Girl Scouts who achieved the Gold Award, the organization’s highest youth honor.

Though the university receives an impressive number of nonresident applications, 12,399 for the fall semester alone, the majority of Ole Miss students, 60.2 percent, are from Mississippi, including students from all the state’s 82 counties."

By: ...
by: @wutDec 11, 2017 8:23:36 AM

@wut - All of these #s are posted by Ole Miss.

The total number of students includes ALL part time, full time, commuter, under grads (18,700+), graduate students (4,400+), etc (EVERYONE)

Also, the 4 year graduation rate at Ole Miss is 39.1%, so it is incorrect to take frosh # of students and multiply it by 4 to get total undergrad number. It doesn't work that way unless you don't have any part timers, no one changes majors thus adding time, no one does internships/co-ops which some times add time, and no one chooses a difficult major which can sometimes add time to graduate.

There were 3,697 frosh of which 6% came from TN - it's a fact.

Again--all numbers are posted by Ole Miss (use link below)

news.olemiss.edu /um-enrolls-23780-students-fall-semester/

By: @wut
by: @wutDec 11, 2017 8:27:27 AM

Correction -

Per the Ole Miss site, 6% of total students come from TN, not 6% of Frosh.

6% of 24,250 = 1,455

By: @wut
by: Tennessee SchoolsDec 14, 2017 1:26:23 PM

Mississippi will probably see fewer Tennessee students now that Tennessee is providing the first two years free at all of their community colleges and a lot of the four years state universities are offering the next two years basically free if you transfer from one of those community colleges. So any Tennessee student who has come here in the past two years has enough money to not worry about the OOS fees and are turning down a free education in their home state.

By: Tennessee Schools
#15  by: Coastal Reb    

Where do you get that 7% of undergrads are international? Off the top of your head? Notice the last few freshman classes are less than 50% Miss residents but the overall number of undergrads is closer to 60% in-state. This tells me that in state kids take 5-7 years to graduate, while the smarter our of state students(which they are much smarter) graduate on time or a semester late.
Also directly from the FAQ of the SMB HC states that HC students participating in Greek life is 52% which is much higher than the overall university rate. Another wrong theory of yours.
Bottom line is your stats are wrong. They are pulled out of a hat.
Remember without oos students, the average ACT wouldn't be 25 and rising. It would be 20 and sinking.

By: Coastal Reb
#16  by: my advice   

There are OOS/OOR girls who come to OM and love it and there are those who don't. I think it comes down to the following:

1) There are girls who get homesick and transfer. Nothing to do with OM, everything to do with not realizing how much they'd miss being close to home.

2) Girls who think OM will be easy and fun all the time - tailgating in the Grove, getting into the sorority of their dreams, easily making friends. Everything takes work here, just like at any school. And it can be great if you're willing to put in the effort.

3) Girls who are unprepared for rush and have no connections here. OM rush is one of the toughest in the country - it's even hard for girls who are connected. If you have no connections, be prepared to likely be dropped by the top tier immediately and perhaps some of the middle tier. I've seen girls who were "tops" at everything in high school, so when they got dropped, they were pretty shocked.

Here's the good news: every sorority has great girls so if you go through the entire week, give every house a shot, you can wind up somewhere great. But it's up to you to do that - there are girls who drop out when they were released from the houses they wanted (or thought they wanted) and girls who don't accept a bid because they think they're too good for that house. Don't be that girl!

It comes down to expectations - what is it about OM that makes you want to be here? Is it your major, Greek life, the traditional experience found at an SEC school? I'd think about those things and see how the reality of life here matches. I wish you luck.

By: my advice
#17  by: OS   

No, no, no!!!! Ole Miss is not nice to OS people. Any why, I have not clue.? Ms is last in everything.

By: OS
by: Yes Dec 13, 2017 7:42:09 AM

The most concise answer on here. Believe it. Or not. I will not engage in a debate. OOS girls DO NOT have the same opportunities in Greek Life as in-state. It is NOT like this at other universities. There is really nothing to debate. People keep saying it over and over: “aim for the middle”. So, if you want to start off your college career aiming for the middle, go for it.

By: Yes
by: OOS and like itDec 14, 2017 12:14:33 PM

Well I'm in a great sorority and it's a "middle" sorority. My sisters are smart, independent, funny, and almost all of us are from out of state. I didn't come to Ole Miss to join the most popular 'Mississippi' sorority, I came to get an education in a particular program. I was popular in high school, cheerleader, class President, Homecoming Queen and it was a large school. I don't need the Mississippi Moms to determine if I am worthy for their sorority, just like I didn't allow my high school popularity to determine my worth. However, I will say if you are an OOS student insecure enough to measure your worth based on whether you are accept by the Mississippi Moms - then don't come here. If you are ready to meet new people then give Ole Miss a chance if you are interested. I haven't been denied any opportunities on campus, in fact I am at the point now where I am having to say no to things I would actually like to participate in but I just don't have the time. There will always be people who do not like the college they chose and I guess they have to make sure everyone knows how unhappy they are - but just as there are people who don't handle the transition from high school to college well, there are also people who do just fine. I am curious however - how do you know you would have more opportunities at other colleges? Are you really sure you would have been a "top" tier at some other school?

By: OOS and like it
by: Just wonderingDec 14, 2017 12:55:24 PM

What opportunities would you be missing? Does your sorority not have officers? Does it not have fundraisers for it philanthropy? Does your sorority not participate in Theta Encore or Rebel Thon or any of the other events on campus? Just how are you being denied opportunities?

By: Just wondering
#18  by: lol   

look at you struggling mightily to parse and analyze the statistics. lol. must be from in-state. 😂

By: lol
#19  by: @OP   

To the OP, why are you considering Ole Miss if you're from OOS? Mississippi isn't exactly the best place to go to college, as we continue to fall short in academic rigor and prestige. Having an Ole Miss or MS degree on your resume is hardly a badge of honor once you leave the state. The truth hurts, but let's be honest with ourselves here.

You should be aware that the vast majority of OOS students come here because they either couldn't go anywhere else and Ole Miss was their fall back school, or because of the social atmosphere on campus (or both). So yeah, once the reality sets in a lot of OOS folks become disgruntled and don't have the best time especially since the in-state and in-region kids are so tight knit and tend to be closed-off to outsiders.

The irony is that even though locals look down their noses as OOS students, the non-Mississippians are the ones who are raising the academic standards and bringing in much needed OOS money to improve our school. Some in-state students and parents may loathe outsiders like you for coming in and wrecking the grading curve or making recruitment more competitive (that's a myth, btw) but I will be the first to admit that we need more out of state folks like you at Ole Miss. We aren't getting it done ourselves and the whole in-state vs. out of state thing just reinforces stereotypes of deep Southern close mindedness and inbreeding. I hope more people will welcome OOS students as well.

By: @OP
#20  by: Coastal Reb    

I am oos but southern and came because I loved Ole Miss. I got in the Honor's College with $26k in merit aid/academic scholarships per year. I could have gone to numerous other more prestigious schools, but chose Ole Miss.

There are plenty of others just like me that didn't come here out of desperation. I am very happy with my upper mid tier sorority. Some folks are just bitter/unhappy and like everyone else to be the same.

Thank God for out of state students.

By: Coastal Reb
by: Same hereDec 14, 2017 2:13:08 PM

Same here for me. OOS, also Honors College and another specific competitive entry college. Can't imagine going anywhere else for my undergrad. I haven't experiencing negative treatment from any in-state students, although the majority of my friends are also other OOS students I do have enough in-state friends to make it interesting. Found my sorority home in a middle tier sorority and I am very happy. I have friends back home who ended up leaving their more local college because they didn't like it, so I really think you can like or not like any college you pick. I researched different programs and chose Ole Miss based on a program which has been National recognized. Don't know why an in-state student would bash the University as inadequate, but some people just like to complain I guess.

By: Same here
by: awesomeDec 14, 2017 3:55:09 PM

that's awesome. college is what you make of it. that being said, ole miss is at the bottom of the sec and the sec overall isn't that strong in academics. oh well.

By: awesome
by: @SameDec 14, 2017 5:31:41 PM

It's not because I "just like to complain" and am just trying to bash Ole Miss; it's because I think it's dumb for people to hate on OOS because OOS students are the ones who are raising the profile of our school. Just because I'm from in-state doesn't mean I can't be critical and want the best for Ole Miss.

By: @Same

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.