facebook

should oos go to ole miss

by: Need Help

I really like ole miss and have basically decided to go here, but from what I hear, OOS students hate their experience and are told not to come. Is this true? I know college is generally what you make of it, but I don’t want to go to a college that already has cliques

Posted By: Need Help
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 3
#1  by: humm   

Where did you "hear" that OOS girls hate their experience and are told not to come??? This site!!!

I can tell you that OOS girls are in EVERY chapter. With so many great OOS girls coming to Ole Miss the houses would be foolish not to take them.

Don't believe the foolishness that is posted here. You will probably hear that some of our houses are only legacies or are only Jackson/Memphis but that is totally ridiculous. Everyone knows this is BS and they just let the Greek Rank comments slide.

By: humm
#2  by: No   

Don't get me wrong the school has it's charm and good points. But considering how easy it is to get into and the high percentage instate it is like 13rd grade. If you are in state or in region with connections (your parents went here and you've been coming here all your life with all your parents Mississippi friends, you went to the right summer camps, and so on) you will not have a good time. If you want a great huge Southern college experience and can get in elsewhere do that. I'm from Georgia and had the kind of connections I mentioned above and am in a top tier house. I felt pretty excluded and I had practically grown up with or at least knew about 40 girls in my house. As in our parents were best friends and so on. I felt out of place for a long time and mostly made friends with with non MS girls. Graduating this year and to be honest I am not sure I made the right choice. If you are OOS/OOR with no connections and/or don't rush you will be miserable.

By: No
#3  by: Go Mommie Go!   

Honestly, most of these "I'm an OOS student and I hate it here" are probably just these idiot Mississippi Moms trying to discourage OOS students from coming to Ole Miss. They probably know the OOS students are coming in with better resumes than their little Hotty Toddy legacies. Mommie has to protect those legacy places!

By: Go Mommie Go!
#4  by: hydr   

There is a similar post as this on page 2-3, has 30+ replies. But, honestly don’t mind your post, it beats the oblivious “rankings” which are the topic of 90% of the discussions on here.

It’s not a OOS vs. In-state thing. It’s a OOS + no legacy vs. In-state + legacy thing. If you are OOS, but have legacy than you’ll be fine.

First thing out of the way, Ole Miss is very over-rated. If you came here for a SEC home game, then yes there is no experience like it. But if you think every day is a Saturday in the grove with a bunch of drunk nice people…think again.

Second, don’t let the fake instagram smilies and tons of likes (when really it’s just everyone wasting their time liking each other’s pics) make it seem like people are happy. I am in a top house, and honestly most girls are not happy here. Most girls are brain fed by their moms that they need to be in a top house here and everything will be fine, but really it’s not great. Most just haven’t dropped because their moms would disown them (not even kidding). So to answer that question, even top houses aren’t great.

As far as OOS/no legacy girls go, you are right most are not happy. But it’s because they are treated a bit unfairly. Even though most OOS are smarter (proven fact: you need better grades to get into as an OOS student) and most OOS are richer (also proven fact: miss is a poor state + OOS tuition is more) and most OOS are better qualified (more opportunities in other states, clubs, etc.) they end up being in a bottom tier. 

There is a post #4 on the other topic that points it out.

By: hydr
by: LolDec 3, 2017 5:37:54 AM

Your "facts" are pure BS!

By: Lol
#5  by: Just me   

Every college has cliques. Every.single.college. Local people tend to stick together - that's just reality and that's going to be true no matter where you go. I can only speak for myself, I came here as an OOS/OOR student and I love it here. I can't imagine going somewhere else for my undergrad. Will I stay in Mississippi? No. So being in one of the Mississippi sororities wasn't an issue for me. I'm in what is considered a mid tier but I have friends in most all of the other sororities. This site would make you think we couldn't possibly be friends - but that's just this stupid site. College is what you make of it. If you decide to be miserable, than by all means be miserable. If you decide to come here (or any college) and meet people, you will make friends. The biggest thing is not think so highly of yourself that you can't meet people of different backgrounds and from different areas.

By: Just me
#6  by: coastal reb    

Well said just me. With OM at close to 50% oos undergrads, it is idiotic to state/think oos students wont't fit in. I am oos but from the South and love it here. One of the best things about OM for me has been making friends with girls from all over including Mississippi.

By: coastal reb
#7  by: herp derp   

Yes, Ole Miss is 50% out of state, but half of out of staters are from Memphis. Do you really consider Memphis out of state? It's closer than Jackson, MS which represents the biggest city at our school.

25% of out of state is Memphis
5% of out of state is from other parts of Tenn.
15% of out of state is Georgia/Texas
5% is other (Bama, Louisana and others).

I don't consider Memphis (25%) out of state. And most Georgia/Texas people are legacies. When our parents went here in the 80s, there were very few Mississippi jobs that required degrees, so they fled to bigger areas like Georgia/Texas.

If you take away Memphis and legacies, I'd say about 15% of our school is actually out of state. And of the 15%, I'd say about 5% actually care about Greek life. Most athletes, honors college kids etc are out of state

By: herp derp
by: @@herp derp Dec 14, 2017 9:11:23 AM

Numbers, yawn... boring 😴

By: @@herp derp
#8  by: Coastal Reb   

You are incorrect. Texas, Tennessee and Georgia are all at 6 % of total Ole Miss undergrad enrollment in Oxford. That rules out your suggestion that 25% of oos students hail from Memphis. Google it and you will find an article from March of this year in HottyToddy.com that gives the exact oos numbers from 2016.

By: Coastal Reb
by: idiot rebelDec 4, 2017 12:01:59 AM

did you TX, TN and GA represents 6% of ole miss? LOL

please use common sense.

TX alone might be 6% (probably more though imo), GA alone might be 6%, so combined both are 12% which isn't far from 15%.

TN no way represents 6% of ole miss.

By: idiot rebel
#9  by: Coastal Reb   

6% each for Texas, Georgia and Tennessee. Again. You are wrong. These figures are directly from Ole Miss Admissions. I would link the article but it will not allow me to do that. Google is your friend.
Memphis does not account for 25% of oos students. That is silly.

by: how toDec 4, 2017 10:13:12 AM

You can link the article by putting a space between the period, etc or just take out the www. and .com parts of the link.

By: how to
#10  by: Coastal Reb   

Thanks for how to advise.

hottytoddy.com2017/03/04/state-state-enrollment-ole-miss/

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.