facebook

what are my chances?

by: srs

i'm rushing a sorority but how good are my chances of getting into a decent sorority if i don't party before recruitment? my sister who goes to another school said to not go to frat parties before recruitment. should i listen to her? I feel like by not partying I am not getting the connections that I need for rush, or does that not matter anyways? thanks

Posted By: srs
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Yep   

Your sister is right. It's not like you can't go out, but be careful where you go. The last thing you want to do is be seen at frats etc.. wasted. Not a good look and you never know who will see you. Best to keep a somewhat low profile until rush imho. Your not going to make connections that will matter the two weeks before recruitment.

By: Yep
#2  by: and a word of advice...   

Don't flirt with frat guys until after rush. You never know who is involved with whom.

By: and a word of advice...
#3  by: MSU alum   

None of that seems to matter - its all about who you know and how much money you have, and what high school you went to in Michigan. MSU needs more sororities to stop this terrible cutting of so many girls! I can't believe how many girls come away the first day with only four of five sororities and maybe only one top to middle tier house left. Its not a reflection of the girl its a screwed up system with too few houses!

By: MSU alum
by: NahSep 16, 2017 7:58:34 PM

Msu doesn't need more sororities. What we need are fewer girls that think they are too good for certain houses. Every year girls drop out once they are dropped from top ten or so houses. If those girls stuck it out and made the "lower" houses stronger they would improve fairly quickly. Until girls give all the chapters a chance no new sororities are needed or will come here. So many girls drop and do not finish the process. Our chapters and pcs aren't huge so why would we need new sororities. The same thing would probably continue to happen and a new sorority would struggle. What we need is an attitude adjustment on how we view and value the sororities on campus. What we need is to stop letting a bunch of frat guys tell us who is worthy and who is not.

By: Nah
by: from another alumSep 18, 2017 1:07:53 PM

Its a screwed up system! May not need more houses, but definitely needs an overhaul! Its crazy that these sororities have not been given the right leadership and stop giving priority to tiers! Not enough has been done to help even the tiers out. Its terrible more girls aren't confident enough to join the houses they get picked by because they feel theyre lower tier.

By: from another alum
by: TrueSep 18, 2017 2:00:31 PM

The whole system is flawed, with all the rejection it can be a confidence destroyer for many deserving girls. I know people whom were miss everything in their high school, but never got the chance they deserved, because of what high school you went to, what side of the state you live on, what your parents do for a living, or who you know. I would not be surprised if potential recruitment numbers continue to drop.

By: True
#4  by: MSU   

Depends what you consider a "decent" house.

By: MSU
#5  by: The MSU system is toxic   

The MSU greek system is toxic and has been for thirty plus years. Once you leave and interact with Greeks from all over the country you realize how bad it is. Look at the comment from the other alum in this thread as the perfect example.

The answer is not to bring on more sororities. The answer is for the Greek system to support the chapters that are already there. That is what RFM is for and what is happening at universities all over the country. The point of RFM is to make the weaker recruiting chapters able to compete with the stronger recruiting chapters. There are many schools who can barely keep up with demand because RFM has done what it is supposed to do. But it can't overcome the horrible relationships between the tiers at MSU.

As long as the hostile tiers exist at MSU, nothing will ever change. Bringing on more chapters won't fix what is wrong with MSU. MSU has many of the strongest sororities in the country already represented. I would think most of the rest would be reluctant to come to the campus as it exists now. The guarantee of success is way too low to risk the financial and staffing outlay.

By: The MSU system is toxic

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.