facebook

is it bad to be affiliated with unrecognized groups?

by:    

I saw on the UB website that a certain sorority that seems really popular on social media is unrecognized at UB and that involvement with them can lead to suspension. On certain social media I see a lot of girls who are a member for this sorority and don't necessarily try and hide it. So are you about to join those groups? Is it a bad idea to be with them? Ive also seem them be referred to as off campus sororities and don't really know what that means.

Posted By: off campus greek life
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

Off campus Greek organizations, fraternities & sororities alike, are considered gangs in the eyes of the school as well as the police (AKA they’re illegal). Because UB doesn’t recognize them as a legitimate organization & calls them gangs instead, that’s why they’re called off-campus sororities or fraternities..... Tbh I never thought they were worth it. All of that hazing you go through & you can’t even wear the letters on campus or get any sort of benefits for your future from joining them (such as community service or being able to put it on a resume). Tragic.

By: UB
#2by:    

Delta Sig, an off campus frat, just got shut down by the police..... A lot of the boys are facing jail time cuz theyre technically “a gang”. Off campus organizations arent worth it, being expelled are the least of their worries atm which is terrible

By: Off campus

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: TEhhh   

How do you know this..? Source

By: TEhhh
by: Off campus   

Every sororitys social is freakin out right now trying to find mixers to fill the days they were supposed to have Delta Sig..... If youre in a sorority your social probably just didnt tell you yet..... Its because of that kid that pledged DSig that got hit by the car I think.

By: Off campus
#3by:    

There is Something called the right of free association. And less you were doing something illegal you can assemble with whomever you like. Unaffiliated fraternities and sororities are completely legal and any implication they are a gang is simply wrong. Fear mongering at its worst.

By: The Judge
by: stupid   

unaffiliated groups aren’t recognized by nationals and you can get in trouble for using their name. join a recognized one, you can put that on your resume and I know plenty of people who have gotten internships/jobs for being a sister/brother, or for holding an exec position.

By: stupid

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.