facebook

sorority questions

by: Barrie girl

Hello, I'm going to be attending Ottawa u in the fall and have a few questions and am not sure where to ask them. First of all, I'm a big Legally Blonde fan (majoring in law!) and am looking for that kind of experience with frat parties and hopefully living in a house with my sisters and gossiping and all that :) I've done a lot of searching on google and I see there's a sorority that's on this website that isn't on the Ottawa u clubs website, alpha phi? Do they not exist anymore? Anyways, I heard from my sister who goes to western that sororities there don't even drink alcohol, they aren't allowed. Is this true? That's kind of a bummer. I'm not an alchy or anything but part of university is having fun right!

Posted By: Barrie girl
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: :)   

That's awesome you're looking into joining a sorority! Each organization on campus has something to offer (although many sororities will dispute this haha) here's a little summary of what to expect:

Tridelt- More into sisterhood & philanthropy
Alpha Phi- They're fun but also aren't really around/involved as much anymore
Xi Delt- super fun & have a great sisterhood
Nu Sig- If you're looking to go to social events then this is the sorority for you haha

By: :)
by: 100pApr 16, 2016 3:26:15 PM

This was def written by a xi delt lol

By: 100p
by: I thinkApr 16, 2016 4:40:38 PM

It was a tridelt, why would someone say Aphi isn't around anymore they're one of the biggest most active houses on campus. @OP Alpha Phi is somewhat newly installed so the website you were on must not be updated!

By: I think
#2  by: Yep   

^ Ya definitely, but to be fair it's not that far off

By: Yep
#3  by: Honestlyy   

If you're looking for a stereotypical sorority experience either go Alpha Phi or Nu Sig!!

By: Honestlyy
#4  by: GG   

I'd have to agree obviously Alpha phi is international which is great & they are fun and all the sisters are fab- but if you were to go local I guess Nu Sig would be your best bet

By: GG
by: YesApr 16, 2016 4:47:40 PM

If you're looking for sisterhood gossip, lots of social events, mixers with top fraternities and regular trips to the salon you'd want to go Alpha Phi for international or Xi Delt for local. Nu Sig also offers those things but mixes with some top frats and some mid frats but they're definitely a great option based on your priorities. The other sororities on campus (delta delta delta, zeta theta xi, theta sigma psi, omega phi sigma) still mix but are more sisterhood based. Unfortunately none of the sororities have houses like the one in legally blonde but international sororities are able to visit houses in the states and stay with their sisters there! Unfortunately this isn't likely to change in Ottawa since there's a bylaw forbidding more than 6 girls living in one house. I think that Alpha Phi and Xi Delt have smaller houses that some sisters live in so that could be an option! Ask around during recruitment to find out for sure :) As for your question about drinking, the only dry sorority in Ottawa is Delta Delta Delta.

By: Yes
#5  by: HA   

Whatever you do just don't go tridelt!

By: HA
#6  by: OP   

Thanks so much for the replies guys!! Four girls on my cheer team are going to Ottawa U and are going to go to events together and we're sooooo excited!!! Probably a stupid question but I saw your mean girls thread, do the sororities here have stereotypes? Specifically is there like a sorority that has all the cheer/dance girls? Thanks :)

By: OP
by: OPApr 16, 2016 5:26:54 PM

Also I searched everyone's social media and that's too funny! Those three sororities you mentioned were the three that stood out to me! The rest don't really look like sorority girls tbh

by: TSTCApr 16, 2016 6:00:50 PM

I would have to say the most cheerleader/prep sorority would be Alpha Phi while Xi Delt has a more edgy party girl vibe and nu sig is like hipster type. If that helps :) definitely meet the girls during clubs tables and you should be able to get a feel for their styles a bit.

By: TSTC
by: ^Apr 17, 2016 6:47:58 AM

Pretty accurate, I heard Alpha Phi even has some cheerleaders in the CFL. Definitely try to meet every sorority so you can feel their vibe though, APhi can be more east coast Lilly Pulitzer preppy while other sororities are more trendy types.

By: ^
#7  by: :)   

There's cheer & dance girls in most sororities! There's not one specific organization known for that, but they're kinda mixed in within most :) & that thread is funny but not really accurate- honestly you'll have to go to all the rush events & see for yourself which one is best for you, that's the only way you'll know which one you want to join :)

#8  by: :)   

Ya if we're being honest, some sororities shouldn't be sororities minus the three main ones at Uottawa!

#9  by: xo   

I know some sororities won't take you if you're rushing other ones so make sure early during rush you try and find out which one you like the most and attend their events, just a tip :)

By: xo
by: OPApr 16, 2016 5:58:25 PM

Oh I had no idea I thought you were supposed to rush all! Can you say which ones or? 😬 Or at least if it's those top 3 ?

by: wrongApr 17, 2016 9:12:32 AM

This is false. I don't know a single sorority that won't take you if you're also rushing another. In fact most girls will TELL you to rush multiple as that's the only way you'll know what's the right one for you. The only reason I could see girls trying to tell you to stop rushing another sorority is if the girl really likes you and doesn't want you to pick the other if you end up getting a bid from both. But even then they wouldn't straight out tell you to stop.

By: wrong
#10  by: xo   

At Uottawa we don't have a Panhellenic Council established yet - if we did you'd have to go through a process where you rush each sorority, but as of right now you don't have to so you can go to as many or little events for each one as you choose:) & I've heard that Xi Delt & Nu Sig don't but I could be wrong

By: xo
by: Slightly wrongApr 16, 2016 6:13:14 PM

I know for sure that Nu Sig doesn't care because I got a bid from them and went to the other house I rushed. I thinkkkk xi delt is probably true because during rush one of my now sisters (then rush) told me she had a couple girls trying to get her to stop rushing us. That would explain why that was happening! They might want to drop that rule considering they went from pledging 30 girls to like 6 a semester LOL

By: Slightly wrong

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.