facebook

tips on being "poor" and pledging a sorority?

by: super middle class

i'm a little anxious about joining a sorority due to the fact that i'll be surrounded by people who have way more money than i do. i mean i'll be able to pay dues (on a payment plan) but it might get a little iffy when it comes to paying for extra stuff (traveling, going out to bars, shopping, eating, etc.)
how much will not having money 24/7 affect relationships/social settings?

Posted By: super middle class
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Honest Abe   

have the same problem with fraternities. I suggest you try and find a solid sorority that will hang with you because of who you are. Don't party exclusively with money kids, they will look down on you.

By: Honest Abe
#2  by: Uh   

Hate to tell you this, but not all sororities have a payment plan, and even when they do you will have a very large bit of money you'll need to pay immediately. There are also a lot of other expenses involved that aren't included in the official costs of membership. Make sure you can truly afford it before going through recruitment. Don't take a bid away from someone who can pay if there's a possibility you'll need to drop due to finances.

By: Uh
by: ^^^Jul 4, 2015 7:03:33 PM

What "Uh" said! I'd be very honest with yourself about whether or not you can really afford being in a sorority. It is a big financial commitment and if it's a constant source of stress for you during college, you will probably end up quitting before you graduate.

As she said, not all houses offer payment plans and you will likely need to write a check for $1000-1500+ within a few weeks of pledging. Your new member fees will be due ASAP along with a big chunk of your fall dues.

Will you ever be able to afford living in the house? You may pledge a house where that's mandatory, or not be able to hold a chapter leadership position if you can't afford to live in.

Won't you be sad to not have a bunch of tshirts with your sorority letters on them? We are proud of our letters and love getting new tshirts each year! These can easily cost another $100-300/year.

You will need to buy specific clothes and accessories to participate in Rush as an active. Will you be able to afford that on top of your dues?

Will you be able to afford fines if you miss chapter events?

Think long and hard before you potentially take a spot in a chapter where you won't be able to fulfill your 4-year commitment as a collegiate member.

By: ^^^
by: But Jul 11, 2015 6:27:13 PM

The above is true, but take it with a grain of salt. If a payment plan is what you need, sometimes you just have to have that conversation with your finance Vice President/treasurer. Also, living in the house is typically cheaper than most west campus luxury apartments (around $1000 a month plus utilities) so I wouldn't expect that to be an issue

By: But
by: @butJul 12, 2015 1:51:28 PM

Many sororities do not offer a payment plan. So no matter who you talk to, you're going to have to pay it all at once each semester. Please don't tell people the wrong information.

By: @but
#3  by: ^^^   

Forgot to say, you don't have to be loaded to join a sorority. BUT- if all your spare cash goes to dues and you don't ever have any money to go out on Saturday nights with your pledge sisters or take your little sis out for lunch, what's the point? You still have to put time and effort into building friendships and in college that's offen done by doing things together. Not charging $5,000 of clothes at Neiman's together, but lunches, ice cream, taking a yoga class, going to a movie, etc.

By: ^^^
#4  by: Helping?   

Go through the recruitment process and just ask about dues. It is a kind of awkward question but you will see the true colors or each sorority when you ask if there is a payment plan to the dues and what is expected of you. If you feel like you don't connect with any of the sororities that meet your financial needs then you can drop the process but I wouldn't say to not go through with recruitment!

By: Helping?
by: HonestlyJul 4, 2015 8:24:27 PM

The finance question is super awkward, especially early on. A lot of sororities, even the most flexible on payments, will be worried about whether or not you'll be able to afford it. No one wants to throw away a bid on someone who'd going to end up dropping out because it ends up being to expensive so this can be one of those things that can get you cut. So be really careful about the way you approach and phrase it.

Yes it is true that there are a lot of other expenses involved too. What the ^^^ girl above says about it going beyond dues with all the little extras and then the everyday social costs of getting to know your sisters and bonding.

By: Honestly
#5  by: Yeah   

Sure it's important to be honest with yourself and your sorority about your financial situation, but there are definitely resources in place for girls who need help with dues. I'm pretty sure all of the major sororities offer need-based scholarships. I know mine does at least. The Greek system at UT could use some more socioeconomic diversity anyway, and I really hope that the above comments won't dissuade you from going through rush! Worst case scenario, you drop your sorority. People do that every year for a bunch of different reasons. Just try it!

By: Yeah
by: NooooooooJul 5, 2015 12:01:30 PM

There aren't that many scholarships, competition is fierce and most of them are for very little money. You're also not going to get one right away as a new member. Don't go through recruitment thinking that will work out for you. Make sure you the means before you rush. That will save heartbreak.

By: Noooooooo
#6  by: Listen to Noooo, not Yeah   

Please don't join with the "plan" of counting on a scholarship to fulfill your financial requirements. Sorority scholarships are scarce and don't really put a dent in the costs. I was on my sorority's exec and we give out exactly 3 scholarships per year ($1000 and 2 $500 ones). They also have to be paid directly to the university for tuition & fees. Ours explicitly cannot lower their sorority dues. Also, different girls get the scholarships each year. You don't automatically keep getting it. They are for 1-year only. You also can't get one until your sophomore year on our house. In some houses, you also have to be very involved and have a high GPA to get a scholarship.

Our nationals gives out scholarships, too, but from what I read in our magazine they are for extremely extenuating circumstances- ie, if a financial hardship arises because a family member dies/is too sick to work.

By: Listen to Noooo, not Yeah
#7  by: Well   

If you can afford a payment plan that's great. Not all sororities have them. But I'm kind of thinking that they would work with you on this. Why wouldn't they want to work with a new member's finances? I know that my house's exec (within reason) works with members to set up plans that work for them.

Can you get an on campus job (preferably one that allows you to study at the same time) for the going out $?

By: Well
by: MmmmJul 14, 2015 12:27:45 AM

If there's no payment plan there's no payment plan. There's no "working with it." That's the rule and it doesn't bend.

By: Mmmm
#8  by: $   

Some girls drop right after pledging because they can't afford it. Please don't be one of those. It's a waste of time for everyone. And it hurts women that really want in a sorority.
I earned more than enough money with summer jobs to pay for dues each year. It was worth it for me. Luckily my parents paid for tuition, room and board. Living in the house was a good deal.

By: $
#9  by: Hook Em   

I agree with the statements made by girls above. You may not be able to receive a payment plan or anything like that. Many girls must request the payment plan, and not all of them get one. I don't mean to be mean, but in all honesty, is joining a sorority worth it to you, if you can barely pay dues? I mean, you will be missing out on new merchandise, date parties, bar nights, social activities with your sisters. Being in a sorority can be a money machine. I think you should really consider all of this before deciding to rush. There are other ways to meet people on campus. UT has numerous organizations you can join! You don't HAVE to be in sorority. Because honestly, maybe you won't even enjoy the one you end up in.

By: Hook Em

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.