facebook

what is the pi phi dance party?

by: shr

I'll be rushing and I hear a lot about the Pi Phi dance party, what is it exactly? Why does everyone hate it?

Posted By: shr
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: bleh   

When you used to go through Pi Phi during Open House, they would talk to you for just a bit and then start chanting and jumping. I'm pretty sure they're not allowed to do it this year.

By: bleh
by: DuhAug 26, 2014 5:05:37 PM

Way to talk about membership selection online.

By: Duh
by: Not secretAug 27, 2014 7:05:28 AM

If Pi Phi is doing this during open house, it is not a secret. Membership selection is secret, but this isn't membership selection. It's a party that a thousand or so people go to every year.

By: Not secret
#2  by: hmm   

Some people in my rush group actually really liked the "dance party". I wasn't a fan because I wanted to have an actual conversation with someone in each house, and it didn't really allow for that.

By: hmm
#3  by: They are honest   

They already have their invite lists made up just like all the good houses. Only Pi Phi doesn't go through the motions of pretending you have a chance like others do.

By: They are honest
by: soJul 24, 2013 1:10:42 PM

what groups haven't made their invite list yet?

By: so
by: trueJul 30, 2013 1:48:48 PM

shocking as it sounds, I really respect pi phi's honesty with pnms on this one.

By: true
#4  by: uh   

my sorority doesn't! Our executive board strictly prohibits dirty rushing, so we really are just getting to know these girls when they walk into the house. Of course we have girls that some of us know, but we are grading them just like we're grading others.

By: uh
#5  by: ^   

Probably in a lower tier house

By: ^
by: YeahJul 24, 2013 2:27:03 PM

basing membership on merit or whatever as opposed to zip code is pretty pathetic.

By: Yeah
by: wow!Jul 24, 2013 2:49:32 PM

thank you^

"Probably in a lower tier house" just solidified the fact that y'all recruit based on zip codes and looks. Not a sorority I'd wanna be in.

By: wow!
by: @wow!Jul 24, 2013 3:46:20 PM

Actually PKT are by no means the best looking. The lower half of the big 6 are all amongst the best looking, but they're a little less concerned with paper reputation, zip codes, and high schools.

By: @wow!
by: wonderingJul 24, 2013 5:16:14 PM

Which sororities cut based on zip codes? Which zip codes are desirable and which ones are unacceptable? That's a whole lot of zip codes to keep track of!

By: wondering
by: wellJul 24, 2013 5:52:23 PM

We say zip codes but really mean areas/high schools. There's a lot of PKT presence in Highland Park (especially Pi Phi there), Memorial in Houston, etc. Think about the girls from your high school and what they pledged. They're most likely talking about you during recruitment so people know you, whether that's good or bad.

By: well
by: .Jul 30, 2013 1:58:31 PM

people call it snooty, but in a way it's more about knowing people. If you know enough about a girl's character to know that she could be a great fit, you've probably had the chance to be around her which more often results naturally from having lived in the same area or gone to the same school or camp. It's easier to assume that the more familiar you are with the person, the less likely they are to surprise you unpleasantly. Though there are many many exceptions to that, as everyone knows.

By: .
#6  by: wow!   

true that^

By: wow!
#7  by: 4   

PKT is gonna cut off zip codes. And that honestly wont be disputed.

By: 4
by: well thenJul 24, 2013 6:32:22 PM

What if you're from a small town, not Highland Park, Memorial or other desirable city areas?

By: well then
by: don't worry!Jul 24, 2013 7:14:42 PM

I would suggest going into rush with a completely open mind then. The honest truth is that there are sororities that cut based on zip codes, and it is incredibly unfortunate. BUT there are plenty of others that actually look through the girl's resume, high school activities, etc to determine if they will be a good fit. PKT might not work out, but something will! Just make sure you have your recs in.

By: don't worry!
#8  by: Poles   

Yes strippers do the pole dance.

By: Poles
#9  by: SheWinsItAll   

So, what you're saying is, if you have no connections to Pi Phi (legacy or friends in chapter), don't waste your rankings by ranking them high ...

By: SheWinsItAll
by: YesAug 2, 2013 5:54:19 PM

Let's put it this way .... if you have a chance with them, you already know it.

By: Yes
#10  by: SheWinsItAll   

That is great information. If enough PNMs knew about this and ranked Pi Phi low, their return rate would be bad after Day 1. I'm sure they'd justify it by thinking "We only want the ones we want", but that may help some women find a home elsewhere.

Example: if a PNM ranked Pi Phi high and missed out on a house that liked them but the woman didn't go back because she definitely wasn't on Pi Phi's list and the "ranking math" didn't work out to get asked back to another house.

Note to UT PNMs: If you have no connection to Pi Phi, rank the rest of the chapters higher and increase your options!

By: SheWinsItAll
by: ^Aug 3, 2013 5:08:37 PM

I know plenty of girls who ranked them dead last on day one because of the dance party, and general lack of interest in PNMs.

By: ^

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.