facebook

sigma nu ??

by: doug

I've seen a few references to Sigma Nu on this board. Things like they have pledge class of 30, a nice house, a strong alumni faction and a history of being top tier. Why do they seem "off the radar" regarding rankings? Did they lose their charter? Are they engineering geeks? Are they introverts? Do they not party? Are they too small? I'm just curious because I am considering rushing next year as a freshman and unsure of whether I should consider Sigma Nu? My family dentist was an Illinois Sigma Nu in the 1980's and is encouraging me to reach out to them this summer. I'm also considering Acacia & Delta Chi ?? Please provide your honest opinions. Thanks

Posted By: doug
Post Reply Report
Page 2 of 3
#11  by: truth2   

Yes....but what does a small house have to offer ??

By: truth2
by: Small houseJul 2, 2014 7:42:15 PM

The diffrence between being in a smaller house and a huge house, in my opinion, is the diffrence between you being friends with all of your brothers and you being best friends with all your brothers. When I joined a small house I knew I was probably giving up some social standing but what made up for it was the fact that as a freshman I was getting invited to hang out with the seniors and so was everyone else my age. This is such a buzz word but brotherhood actually does matter and in the big house, where you know everys name but not their story, I feel you are lacking in that department. When your fraternity brothers are the people you are speeding the best four years of your life with I feel making sure they are your best friends are important.

By: Small house
#12  by: ??   

What happened 50 years ago does not apply today dummy.

By: ??
#13  by: irrevelent    

Seems to just be full of rich kids and stoners who keep to themselves....

By: irrevelent
by: vwJan 11, 2017 11:02:37 AM

"old money" frat unconcerned with flash

By: vw
#14  by: janie   

Yeps........some very rich kids, military veterans and "blue collar" academics keeping it real.....I hear their alumni are advising to "stay off the radar" such as never to lose their charter again? In this regard, they are the antithesis of the "bar pull" philosophy......

By: janie
#15  by: pss   

They have thrown some awesome parties this year so idk why they dont have block?!? Maybe because of their size

By: pss
#16  by: every fraternity   

has some prestigious alums...we are at u of I, so every house has some rich alumns....I know where these guys come from, they are not "all rich" and really neither is any other fraternity...upper middle class maybe, but really wealthy people don't sent their kids to U of I for the most part. Don't be fooled by designer clothes.

HOWEVER, you should take a look at Sigma Nu, as well as some other houses, and join where you feel most comfortable. Whatever existed in the 80's is irrelevant, join the house that is best for you NOW.

By: every fraternity
#17  by: icecold   

Reviving this 3 year old thread as I'm curious if Sigma Nu is still considered a good small house?

I too am a high school senior and was contacted by one of their alumni.

Honest answers please....

By: icecold
by: truthJan 10, 2017 7:39:58 PM

I guess they're good for a small house.....but little fanfare otherwise.

By: truth
by: .Jan 10, 2017 10:16:14 PM

Honestly some of the nicest guys who are not caught up in the whole popularity ranking system. They prioritize classes which is why they may not be as well known in the social scene but some of my best guy friends are in Sig Nu and my sorority loves doing stuff with them! Just a bunch of laid back guys who don't care to get wrapped up in the stupid rankings set by the top houses. Check them out and see if you can see yourself fitting in with them

By: .
#18  by: LOL   

You won't get a bid to AKAK haha.

By: LOL
#19  by: ...   

who took the time to find this thread??? this is old. sigma nu is fine. this thread is old and irrelevant.

By: ...
#20  by: idk   

Dont ask other ppl which house you should rush. You should experience it for yourself and meet the ppl. everyone has a diff personality so will like different houses. just rush and pick the one that you like the most regardless of status.

By: idk

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.